When will Matthews win his first Rocket?

Predict his first Richard year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In the Kovalchuk comparison above, 33% of his goals have come via PP versus 23% of Matthews'. Ilya had 11 seasons where he got over 4 minutes PP time per game, 7 seasons of over 5 and believe it or not one where he got 8:11!!!

Matthews has once topped 3 (3:12).
Yeah, it's pretty comical that some still stick to raw goals for their conclusions when we see discrepancies like this:

PP TOI/GP, first 4 seasons of career

Kovalchuk: 6:05
Ovechkin: 5:49
Matthews: 2:36

Literally less than half.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
he actually did play center quite a bit, especially come the 2nd half of the season

Yes he played some this season. Not sure anywhere near enough to vault him into "top centre" conversations. By the by, I am saying this because it''s the exact argument used against Leaf players for years. I like consistency. He becomes a centre 80%+ of the time, fair game.

Mar 26, 2010
Next season.

Matthews has scored more goals than any other player in the NHL since he started other than OV. He is by far the very best young goal scorer in the game today. The stats prove it, opinion means nothing. The #’s do not lie.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, it's pretty comical that some still stick to raw goals for their conclusions when we see discrepancies like this:

PPs were handed out like candy in Ovechkin’s first 4 years. I believe Crosby had half of his points on the PP in his first year which is absolutely insanity. I don’t really know where you’re going with this. It was a low scoring league when Matthews was drafted. It just went up in 2019 (or a year ago).

How much longer are you going to hold PP time against other players for Matthews not winning the Rocket or being considered the best goal scorer in the league? I wonder what Pastas PP TOI/GP was this past season. It’s clearly below OV yet he still won the Richard.

Edit: He was 15th. Also, I found out that out of the 9 times that OV has led the league in goals, only four times he led the league in PP TOI/GP (13-14, 17-19). There goes your notion of him winning solely due to PP time. Does it help? Sure. Does it mean you will win if you have it. Nope.

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Not last season.

Matthews has scored more goals than Draisaitl and McDavid since entering the league. FACT

11 less goals in 31 more games played (since Matthews started), almost 2 minutes more ice time per game? Finished behind Matthews in scoring 3 out of 4 years? Do we have a different definition of "better"?
I mean, sure. But Draisaitl is a 50 goal scorer, something Matthews has never done yet. The rocket is a tough trophy to get so while I am sure Auston will be a contender, I don’t think he will ever win it.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
On topic of the thread, I think he's as close to a lock as anyone who has yet to win one to eventually get one. I wouldnt be at all surprised if he wins multiple over his career. IMO the 2nd best goal scorer in the league. Lots of competition, though, and everything kinda needs to go right in order to win one.
Doesn't Draisatl have to actually be playing centre to qualify for this list? He can but rarely does.
You realize he took like 300 more faceoffs than Matthews did, right? 400 more than Mackinnon, 300 more than Sid, 500 more than McDavid....

He's 15th in the league in faceoffs over the past 3 years, the only guys on that list who have taken more faceoffs than Draisaitl in that span are Crosby & Barkov

Mar 26, 2010
11 less goals in 31 more games played (since Matthews started), almost 2 minutes more ice time per game? Finished behind Matthews in scoring 3 out of 4 years? Do we have a different definition of "better"?
Matthews is the better goal scorer. The stats don’t lie.

How dare you post the facts. That is not allowed. Matthews sux.

Mar 26, 2010
I mean, sure. But Draisaitl is a 50 goal scorer, something Matthews has never done yet. The rocket is a tough trophy to get, while I am sure Auston will be a contender, I don’t think he will ever win it.
Contender? Lol :sarcasm:

Sure buddy. No one buys that.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I'm not even sure the whole Leafs team gets as much PP time per game as Kovalchuk did.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
On topic of the thread, I think he's as close to a lock as anyone who has yet to win one to eventually get one. I wouldnt be at all surprised if he wins multiple over his career. IMO the 2nd best goal scorer in the league. Lots of competition, though, and everything kinda needs to go right in order to win one.

You realize he took like 300 more faceoffs than Matthews did, right? 400 more than Mackinnon, 300 more than Sid, 500 more than McDavid....

He's 15th in the league in faceoffs over the past 3 years, the only guys on that list who have taken more faceoffs than Draisaitl in that span are Crosby & Barkov
Are you of the opinion that faceoffs is what determines your position?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I mean, sure. But Draisaitl is a 50 goal scorer, something Matthews has never done yet. The rocket is a tough trophy to get so while I am sure Auston will be a contender, I don’t think he will ever win it.

No doubt, never would have gotten there this year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It's strange how you're not pushing your ES/60 production angle right now. You were always quick to use that as your "proof" before because it had "proper context". It couldn't be because Matthews had a lower ES goals/60 last year than Ovechkin, can it?

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
No doubt, never would have gotten there this year.
You never know but what we all know is that he didn't hit 50.

Try again? Your argument is flawed, failed.

FACT, Matthews has scored more goals that Drai and McDavid since he stepped foot in the ice. No argument.
FACT: Leon is a 50 goal scorer, something Auston has yet to accomplish.
FACT: I said Auston matthews will be a contender for the trophy like he has been for the past couple of seasons. No clue how that is flawed in any way lmao

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad