When will Matthews win his first Rocket?

Predict his first Richard year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
He's obviously an elite goal-scorer and finished 1 shy of the leaders this past season. If they played the whole season, there's a strong argument that he could have won the Rocket.

That being said, when will he win his first Richard? As early as next season? 2 seasons from now? When?

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
just added it
I think he wins it, then ovi will retire that year or the year after. Mathews should win it a couple times but there are many good goal scorers that can win it. Other than ovi, it's usually another super star or a out of no where star.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Sounds harsh but at the same time is a huge possibility as well. Not gonna lie, I thought this too

That could be a matter of 3-4 years. People said he was done 4 years ago after a bad season where he only scored 33. 49, 51 and now 48 goals in a shortened season ever since, winning the Rocket in 3 consecutive seasons.

Matthews is not alone either. Pastrnak and Laine are fierce competition in that department aside from Ovi.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its impossible to predict.

Ovi is the only one I will say WILL win.

Can win
Draisaitl
Matthews
Laine
Pastrnak
Svechnikov
Pete
Kane ?
Mac?
MCD ?
Sid?
Stamkos ?
Debrincat ?
Caufield ?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A lot of people will come in here and talk about how he sucks and whatnot but the reality is, he was 1 goal off from it this year when the season shut down.

It's possible he never wins one. It's also possible he wins one or two over the next few years.

No one thinks Matthews sucks, he’s a fantastic player and goal scorer.

His lack of playmaking ability (compared to the other top centres in the NHL) hold him back from being a true bona fide top 5 centre league wide.

His shot it absolutely elite, elite though. I think he bags a Rocket in the next 3 years.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
That could be a matter of 3-4 years. People said he was done 4 years ago after a bad season where he only scored 33. 49, 51 and now 48 goals in a shortened season ever since, winning the Rocket in 3 consecutive seasons.

Matthews is not alone either. Pastrnak and Laine are fierce competition in that department aside from Ovi.
He's certainly increasing his goal-totals/pace as he ages. He was literally setting records for himself in his 15th season and had the second highest pace of his career. If he didn't go on a 5-game goalless streak after the hatty vs. the Kings, he would be smashing 60 goals, at this age. Absolutely remarkable.

So most definitely, Matthews is going to have to earn this award.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I think he wins it, then ovi will retire that year or the year after. Mathews should win it a couple times but there are many good goal scorers that can win it. Other than ovi, it's usually another super star or a out of no where star.
lots of competition for it, definitely not going to be an easy out for Matthews

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’ll win one at some point. Probably not the next few years though with Ovechkin+the field to compete against. The same could be said for anyone, except Ovechkin. They are all unlikely to win one in the next few years, even though they might collectively win one or two.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I remember when it was Laine who was supposed to win all the Rocket Richards. Good times, in 2018 we had.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
No one thinks Matthews sucks, he’s a fantastic player and goal scorer.

His lack of playmaking ability (compared to the other top centres in the NHL) hold him back from being a true bona fide top 5 centre league wide.

His shot it absolutely elite, elite though. I think he bags a Rocket in the next 3 years.
Matthews is a good playmaker but he is always the go to shooting option on his line and pp so he’s gonna get more goals than assists. He makes highlight reel passes though.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Well it’s not like when Ovi retires it’ll just be handed to Matthews.

Draisaitl, McDavid, Pastrnak (who has already won it) are all right there (Or ahead) of Matthews in terms of goal scoring over the past 2 or 3 seasons. So they’re the serious competition.

But there are easily 10+ others players who could snag it if they have a monster year. Regardless he should win at some point in the next couple years.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It's a tough one to predict.

A lot of the time, it's just about a good shooter catching fire early and carrying it through. I do think he'll be in the discussion (health permitting) in the coming years and should eventually get one on his resume.

For next season, Ovi might just do it again. :laugh:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
He's certainly increasing his goal-totals/pace as he ages. He was literally setting records for himself in his 15th season and had the second highest pace of his career. If he didn't go on a 5-game goalless streak after the hatty vs. the Kings, he would be smashing 60 goals, at this age. Absolutely remarkable.

So most definitely, Matthews is going to have to earn this award.
I agree with your point, but the whole “if he didn’t go goalless for 5 games” thing seems silly to me. If any player didn’t have cold stretches they’d all be breaking records. Ups and downs are a part of the game.

Reactions: nturn06 and ESH

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I agree with your point, but the whole “if he didn’t go goalless for 5 games” thing seems silly to me. If any player didn’t have cold stretches they’d all be breaking records. Ups and downs are a part of the game.
That's true, it was just that he was absolutely scorching hot before he abruptly went on that streak. Had he kept it up a little bit more (extending the 14 goals in 7 games), he would have had a great shot at 60, at his age. Which is just insane.

Of course he was going to cool off, but it just happened so abruptly you know? Not like he had stretches of 1-2 games without a goal consistently after the streak

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I'm actually surprised that the "never win" option is leading this poll. I know things aren't written in stone, but damn. He's regarded as arguably the best goal-scorer in the game so that's interesting to see.

Reactions: 67Leafs67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad