When will Matthews win his first Rocket?

Predict his first Richard year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm actually surprised that the "never win" option is leading this poll. I know things aren't written in stone, but damn. He's regarded as arguably the best goal-scorer in the game so that's interesting to see.

Whenever you make a poll about a Leafs player your best bet is to take off the 20% most positive votes, and 20% most negative votes - and you probably get a more accurate representation of reality. I think that's all that is =/

I voted next year. I predicted he would have won last year before start, and as you said he came close and might have won in full year. I have more faith in him over Pastrnak being #1 next year. Ovi is a bit unpredictable - being older and with the timeoff. So i'll vote Matthews wins next year. Having said that - I realize i just voted in a different poll a cpl days back saying Ovi wins it again this year. 50/50 to me, two most likely candidates.

I'd be shocked if Matthews doesn't win one in next 3 years though.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Probably within the next two years. A combo of Ovi aging out and Laine’s goal totals inexplicably going into the gutter don’t leave many clear challengers except for the rando’s like Pasta that pop for a year.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Whenever you make a poll about a Leafs player your best bet is to take off the 20% most positive votes, and 20% most negative votes - and you probably get a more accurate representation of reality. I think that's all that is =/

I voted next year. I predicted he would have won last year before start, and as you said he came close and might have won in full year. I have more faith in him over Pastrnak being #1 next year. Ovi is a bit unpredictable - being older and with the timeoff. So i'll vote Matthews wins next year. Having said that - I realize i just voted in a different poll a cpl days back saying Ovi wins it again this year. 50/50 to me, two most likely candidates.

I guess so lmao, it’s just shocking though

I believe he wins one in the next 3 as well but it will not be easy. The competition for the Rocket is as good as it’s been for a long time.

Ovechkin is obviously the main threat, and he’s an anomaly when it comes to consistency and longevity so he may very well win it again (or be right there) making Matthews life difficult

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Voted next year, but tough to say. Ovi may take a step back. Pastrnak is injured to start the season. It's a good shot for Matthews to do it.

However one thing to consider is that its likely to be a shorter season next year. Anything can happen in a shorter season. Any number of players could get hot at the right time and win the whole thing.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I guess so lmao, it’s just shocking though

I believe he wins one in the next 3 as well but it will not be easy. The competition for the Rocket is as good as it’s been for a long time.

Ovechkin is obviously the main threat, and he’s an anomaly when it comes to consistency and longevity so he may very well win it again (or be right there) making Matthews life difficult

The one thing i'll say about Matthews is that to me he is the most likely of all NHL players to "be right there" in the race for the rocket. Injuries aside - I cannot fathom a scenario where he isn't, it'd be shocked. At least with Ovi - due to age, it's possible. And others guys haven't proven to be as consistent as Matthews at scoring goals yet. That's why I agree that he wins one in the next 3 years almost for sure. If you're always in the race, at some point you'll probably win.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
No one thinks Matthews sucks, he’s a fantastic player and goal scorer.

His lack of playmaking ability (compared to the other top centres in the NHL) hold him back from being a true bona fide top 5 centre league wide.

His shot it absolutely elite, elite though. I think he bags a Rocket in the next 3 years.
amongst centers this year, Matthews finished 4th in points, 1st in goals while playing a fairly strong 2 way game. I think there are far more arguments for him being a top 5 center than not.

Reactions: Atomos2

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
Ovi just turned 35. I know he is special but while I feel people wrongly underestimated him before I feel like in terms of goal scoring and what to expect from him from now on he is being overestimated both in this thread and "does Ovechkin win the Rocket next year" thread. If he keeps winning Richards even into his late 30s that would make him overtaking Gretzky almost a guarantee and also make him IMO by FAR the best goalscorer of all time. He will keep scoring goals but I feel like it is too much to expect him to keep winning Richards as 35+ year old against young superstars in their prime, even as a GOAT goalscorer.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
amongst centers this year, Matthews finished 4th in points, 1st in goals while playing a fairly strong 2 way game. I think there are far more arguments for him being a top 5 center than not.

I think all of McDavid, Mack (both obvious), Crosby (injury - hasn't declined yet) and Drai (hard to argue with past season) are easily the top 4 centers.

Matthews is among a few names in contention for #5. I think it's between him, Malkin and Eichel - possibly a couple of others, though I'd leave it among those 3.

member 157595

I agree. I think that's correct for any of the giant fanbases on this site for that matter.

Sensationalism sells, and in many cases some of the best posters stick to their team boards to avoid the main board nonsense.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I think all of McDavid, Mack (both obvious), Crosby (injury - hasn't declined yet) and Drai (hard to argue with past season) are easily the top 4 centers.

Matthews is among a few names in contention for #5. I think it's between him, Malkin and Eichel - possibly a couple of others, though I'd leave it among those 3.
My top 8 would be
1) McDavid
2) MacKinnon
3) Crosby
4) Draisaitl
5) Matthews
6) Malkin
7) Eichel
8) Barkov

Reactions: bobholly39

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Probably within the next two years. A combo of Ovi aging out and Laine’s goal totals inexplicably going into the gutter don’t leave many clear challengers except for the rando’s like Pasta that pop for a year.

I know what you're saying, but still don't know if it's fair to label Pastrnak a "rando" when it comes to goal scoring. I mean, he obviously didn't hit the ground running the same way Mathews did, but this is still a guy who's scored 48 goals this last season and 38 in 66GP the year before. Three seasons ago it was 35 goals. Were the last two seasons a "pop" or is he on an upward trajectory and only now in his scoring prime?

Reactions: wintersej

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm actually surprised that the "never win" option is leading this poll. I know things aren't written in stone, but damn. He's regarded as arguably the best goal-scorer in the game so that's interesting to see.
I mean it's really hard to win a Rocket. I mean Kovalchuk was around a Matthews level scorer and only won one. Iginla only won one Rocket. I think the chances he wins one is pretty good(compared to everyone in the league), but it's still very low imo.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
That's true, it was just that he was absolutely scorching hot before he abruptly went on that streak. Had he kept it up a little bit more (extending the 14 goals in 7 games), he would have had a great shot at 60, at his age. Which is just insane.

Of course he was going to cool off, but it just happened so abruptly you know? Not like he had stretches of 1-2 games without a goal consistently after the streak
Fair enough but that’s how it seems to go with goal scorers. They’re real hot for stretches and cold for stretches. The best ones just have less cold stretches

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Probably next year. The only thing preventing it the past couple years has been the significant amount less PP time.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know what you're saying, but still don't know if it's fair to label Pastrnak a "rando" when it comes to goal scoring. I mean, he obviously didn't hit the ground running the same way Mathews did, but this is still a guy who's scored 48 goals this last season and 38 in 66GP the year before. Three seasons ago it was 35 goals. Were the last two seasons a "pop" or is he on an upward trajectory and only now in his scoring prime?

Maybe. But I think it’s probably more likely that he’s a guy that will stay in that low 40’s goal range and can pull off a rocket in a year where his shooting percentage spikes. Whereas your typical pure goal scorer (like prime Ovi) is going to be right there at 1st or 2nd in goals every single year.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Probably next year. The only thing preventing it the past couple years has been the significant amount less PP time.

In the Kovalchuk comparison above, 33% of his goals have come via PP versus 23% of Matthews'. Ilya had 11 seasons where he got over 4 minutes PP time per game, 7 seasons of over 5 and believe it or not one where he got 8:11!!!

Matthews has once topped 3 (3:12).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2