When will Matthews win his first Rocket?

Predict his first Richard year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yes, I do include all minutes.

show me where you’ve used pk p60?

If you see a guy has 70 points, what does that tell you about his supposed fatigue level or injuries sustained?

if he is missing time for injuries it tells me he would be able to get more points if healthy.

McDavid has not shown the ability to score the most goals.
He has shown the ability to be the best at hockey. His abilities in hockey are good enough that if he only tried to score goals he would score the most. I know this because I’ve done extensive research and have algorithms that 100% confirm it.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
show me where you’ve used pk p60?
Most high-end players that I look at do not spend significant time on the PK, and even among ones that do, there is not really any significant production on the penalty kill, so there's not usually any reason to look at PK P/60. That's not excluding it; it's just not usually something that's relevant to the discussions when posting the other production metrics. I have never been opposed to looking at the penalty kill, and have discussed it many times as part of an evaluation.
if he is missing time for injuries it tells me he would be able to get more points if healthy.
How does his raw point total specifically tell you he missed time to injuries?
He has shown the ability to be the best at hockey. His abilities in hockey are good enough that if he only tried to score goals he would score the most.
He has shown the ability to be the best at certain aspects of hockey. Goal-scoring is not one of the things that he has shown an ability to be the best at.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Most high-end players that I look at do not spend significant time on the PK, and even among ones that do, there is not really any significant production on the penalty kill, so there's not usually any reason to look at PK P/60.
You’ve said several times in this thread that you use ALL minutes. I guess that’s a lie.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He would already have at least one if not more if not for very bad luck with injuries. Once he can play a full season, 80ish games, the trophy will be his.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You’ve said several times in this thread that you use ALL minutes.
I do use all minutes. PK P/60 is just usually so negligible or non-existent, so not usually a very relevant thing to specify. That doesn't mean it's not considered, and I've never had an issue with that being discussed.

In your opinion, how did the 0 goals that all of Matthews, Ovechkin, and Pastrnak scored this past season on the PK impact the rocket race...?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I do use all minutes. PK P/60 is just usually so negligible or non-existent, so not usually a very relevant thing to specify.
My point is that you continuously frame your way of analyzing as the only good way and that you use all the context and all the info, yet it’s not true. Sure some of the info is negligible but that doesn’t mean you get to decide what to ignore and what not to. And by saying you use all context you being misleading to make your methods seem more sound. In reality the have their merits, but also their flaws just like every other method.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Quality of goal-scorer is an important consideration when projecting rockets. I also discussed the specific situations that would impact raw totals next year in another one of my posts.

Why would he get 6 minutes of PP time? Nobody gets 6 minutes of PP time anymore. I expect him to get more than he's gotten so far.

He isn't going to get 6 minutes, which was my point. Thus it was an irrelevant for that poster to bring it up.

It really isn't. Jamie Benn has won an Art Ross and Jonathan Cheechoo has won a rocket, few people would probably cite them as top-5 quality players. Projecting a players scoring doesn't really help you project rockets outright, unless you just assume everything else remains equal for all the other players in the league. That method should be reserved for University economics courses. We can discuss the specific situations that resolved for OV to score 65 goals, or Kucherov to score 128 points, but it doesn't mean it's repeatable. Due to his ability Matthews should get above average scoring placements which will increase his chances of getting a rocket, but it doesn't mean you can project how many rockets or what year he will win them. I could outline some specific situations for Laine to score 60 goals, but what does that prove?

No different than the McDavid argument I posed to that other poster who was too lazy to read my post. McDavid has been consistently 1/2 over the last four years in PPG, and has only two Art Ross, he could never win another one, and his usage really doesn't change. I was in many threads where Matthews and McDavids usage was discussed, same with Draisaitl vs Matthews. People always like to argue, if this guy scores at X pace, and you give him +4 minutes of TOI - "look at this linear rise in production". You can't assert that. As soon as you change the situations in which that data was generated, it's no longer valid in the new environment. If Matthews has 18 minutes TOI for 3 seasons, and produces at the stats you show, it's created in that environment. When you change the environment by a significant margin (+20-30%), how are those stats at all relevant to future outcomes?

Nadal is the king of Roland Garros (clay surface), he didn't even lose a single set in the most recent tournament, and has tournament winning streaks of 4, 4, 5 (so he has won the tournament 13 times). If he won hard courts like he wins Roland, he would be the Wayne Gretzky of Tennis.

I do find it funny that "he will never win" is leading with 33.7% of the votes. For sure it is a possibility, but the most likely one? Doesn't seem accurate. It will always be a difficult feat going against every other player in the NHL, but with the goal scoring promise Matthews has shown in his first four seasons, I can't see him retiring without a Rocket, barring major injury issues.

It could be as early as this upcoming season for sure. His 47 goals last season were literally only one back of the title shared by Ovechkin & Pastrnak. His 1.92 G/60 last season (all-situations) was 4th in the NHL behind those two + Zibanejad.

With a full season of getting more minutes (which started to happen under Keefe), there's no reason to think he won't be in the mix. He went from playing ~18:00 per game under Babcock, to playing ~21:00 per game under Keefe. He's was only 22 years old last season, and most players don't peak until 24-25, so I imagine he will continue to improve still somewhat. In the last three seasons total, only Ovechkin (1.87) has outscored Matthews (1.84) at an hourly rate in all situations, and Ovechkin isn't getting any younger.

With the NHL's schedule likely shortened, Pastrnak out with injury (his biggest competition potentially missing a few games to start the season), and his propensity for starting the season scorching hot...absolutely he could win the Rocket in 20/21. If not, I'm pretty sure he'll finish his career with at least one eventually, especially now that he's getting the minutes he deserves.

Honestly people need to stop leaning on this strawman.

"Will never win" as the top poll option is an illusion....
Will never win = 34.2%
Will win = 65.8%.

When you have 6 options that relate to him winning, but at different times, then it shouldn't' be a surprise the only option contrary to that has more votes on it's own - since it consolidates all opposing views. If you actually look at the options as binary, then him winning a rocket has been chosen the most, people just disagree about when.

So many posters are arguing against phantom Matthews hate. The majority of voters agree with you he will finish with at least one rocket.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Not everyone on the website voted which makes it a moot point as a denominator. You can pretend it doesn't exist but all you need to to is go back to the polls where 75% voted Marner is a 4th liner or even remark how there is zero threads on Barzal being RFA yet were over 20 complete threads when Nylander was. Like it or lump it, Leafs are in everyone's heads (despite the complaints not wanting to see it).

You have a link for this marner thread? I've never seen it.

Hf has generally been fairly high on mitch. Tends to happen when a player puts up 90+ points on their elc.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I have been reading this forum almost daily since 2009, and 2 of the things I learned after (way) too much time spent:

1. Always bet for the field. The field is a always a strong competitor. The field is never sick. The field never has a bad year. The field is never injured. The field always have a career year. The field always have a Joker card.

2. The exception to rule 1. is OV winning the rocket.

While reading #1 I was thinking "except with ovy".

Reactions: DowJones

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I do find it funny that "he will never win" is leading with 33.7% of the votes. For sure it is a possibility, but the most likely one? Doesn't seem accurate. It will always be a difficult feat going against every other player in the NHL, but with the goal scoring promise Matthews has shown in his first four seasons, I can't see him retiring without a Rocket, barring major injury issues.

It could be as early as this upcoming season for sure. His 47 goals last season were literally only one back of the title shared by Ovechkin & Pastrnak. His 1.92 G/60 last season (all-situations) was 4th in the NHL behind those two + Zibanejad.

With a full season of getting more minutes (which started to happen under Keefe), there's no reason to think he won't be in the mix. He went from playing ~18:00 per game under Babcock, to playing ~21:00 per game under Keefe. He's was only 22 years old last season, and most players don't peak until 24-25, so I imagine he will continue to improve still somewhat. In the last three seasons total, only Ovechkin (1.87) has outscored Matthews (1.84) at an hourly rate in all situations, and Ovechkin isn't getting any younger.

With the NHL's schedule likely shortened, Pastrnak out with injury (his biggest competition potentially missing a few games to start the season), and his propensity for starting the season scorching hot...absolutely he could win the Rocket in 20/21. If not, I'm pretty sure he'll finish his career with at least one eventually, especially now that he's getting the minutes he deserves.

Because the options for him winning the Rocket are spread to multiple options, whereas the option for him never winning the Rocket is just one option. So complaining about that misses the fact that 66% of the votes think he WILL win the Rocket at some point, it's just not entirely sure when that will be.

So people really need to stop using that as "proof" that people are against him. He's "winning" this poll in that two-thirds of votes believe he will win a Rocket some day.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
My point is that you continuously frame your way of analyzing as the only good way and that you use all the context and all the info, yet it’s not true.
The only one trying to "frame" things here is you; I'm just looking at the facts. You have very specifically targeted exclusively one methodology, largely through baseless and unsubstantiated claims, while ignoring the massive issues with the much worse methodology that you and everybody else around you is using. The method of evaluation that I used is much more accurate than looking at raw point totals, and I consistently consider all sorts of context and information, and point it out and apply it where necessary.
He isn't going to get 6 minutes, which was my point. Thus it was an irrelevant for that poster to bring it up.
Not irrelevant to bring up, because the discussion being referenced was a comparison of quality of goal-scorer relative to historical goal-scorers. It is a necessary piece of information for that discussion when people are attempting to base conclusions on raw totals.
Jamie Benn has won an Art Ross and Jonathan Cheechoo has won a rocket, few people would probably cite them as top-5 quality players.
That really just goes to show how arbitrary awards are sometimes, but that doesn't mean that when projecting forward, player quality or the skill being referenced isn't important.
Projecting a players scoring doesn't really help you project rockets outright, unless you just assume everything else remains equal for all the other players in the league.
Does it guarantee you know who will win? No, there are no guarantees in hockey, and lots of things can happen in smaller samples.
Does it give you a much better idea of potential, likely results, and possibilities? Yes, absolutely.
You don't give up on educated assessments just because it might not always predict with 100% certainty over a single season.
As soon as you change the situations in which that data was generated, it's no longer valid in the new environment.
No situation is exactly the same, but that doesn't nullify all data and information from being applicable and representative, especially when we consider the changing factors and situations, and the impacts it may have.
When you change the environment by a significant margin (+20-30%)
Where are you getting 20-30%?
Nadal is the king of Roland Garros (clay surface), he didn't even lose a single set in the most recent tournament, and has tournament winning streaks of 4, 4, 5 (so he has won the tournament 13 times). If he won hard courts like he wins Roland, he would be the Wayne Gretzky of Tennis.
That is a way bigger change in environment than anything being discussed here. It's literally changing how the sport is played, and how the ball reacts. We're not comparing hockey to roller hockey, which would be the parallel.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The only one trying to "frame" things here is you; I'm just looking at the facts. You have very specifically targeted exclusively one methodology, largely through baseless and unsubstantiated claims, while ignoring the massive issues with the much worse methodology that you and everybody else around you is using. .

Classic pot calling the kettle black.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You have a link for this marner thread? I've never seen it.

Hf has generally been fairly high on mitch. Tends to happen when a player puts up 90+ points on their elc.

No it definitely existed. A lot of threads got wiped with the site migration. Too bad, there was a couple real gems.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
The one thing i'll say about Matthews is that to me he is the most likely of all NHL players to "be right there" in the race for the rocket. Injuries aside - I cannot fathom a scenario where he isn't, it'd be shocked. At least with Ovi - due to age, it's possible. And others guys haven't proven to be as consistent as Matthews at scoring goals yet. That's why I agree that he wins one in the next 3 years almost for sure. If you're always in the race, at some point you'll probably win.

Dr Drai and his 93 goals over the last 2 seasons says hello....

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Classic pot calling the kettle black.
Not even close to true. Unlike you, I have extensively substantiated the use of the stats I use, I have substantiated my position regarding this thread, and have clearly explained the issues with looking solely at raw totals.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
No it definitely existed. A lot of threads got wiped with the site migration. Too bad, there was a couple real gems.

It goes both ways. Lots of embarrassing leaf posts were also deleted.

Example being you saying you'd rather have matthews over mcdavid rofl

Why act so smug when you have a history of ridiculous posts?

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Likely the best shooting/goalscoring center out there...Zbad in NY is another,I think Matthews can hit mid 50,s at his peak...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00