Injury Report: Wheeler leg injury

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably because everyone should know he has no idea how long Wheeler will be out and only a moron would think he does.

Why would anyone, much less everyone know that? The only reason he wouldn't know is because the Drs haven't given them a timeline yet. In that case his answer would be that, 'the Drs haven't given us a timeline yet'.

How does asking the person who would be among the first to know make the questioner a moron? It is a reasonable question and he is asking the right person.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Wheeler is out of the lineup for over 2 months, we can see a dramatic change in the Jets chemistry, depending on how the team performs. If the Jets go on a tear, and start competing for the division title, then all the critics of the "clique" (Wheeler, Scheifele, Maurice) were correct, and the team may want to part with Wheeler, fire Maurice, and get Sheif out of his comfort zone. Nobody will be able to deny that Maurice plays favorites, if Wheeler returns during the final stretch of games, and immediately assumes his first line role.

As much as I never want to see a Jets player (especially the captain of the team), injured, I can honestly say I would not be at all surprised to see the Jets go on a run until Olympic break.

Leaving the subject of the clique aside, I am already pretty sure that a) we can't reasonably part with Wheeler, but we can change his role, b) we need to fire Maurice and c) a + b will get Scheifele out of his comfort zone and get more value from him.

I don't like using the simplistic formula that we won more with player x out of the lineup, therefore player x was bad, or was hurting us in some way. If we see the team being used differently and producing better results then it is more a reflection of how the team was being used.

If Wheeler is out for an extended time, there will be a whole package of changes that may include other players digging a little deeper to compensate along with different line combinations, PP, etc.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Without knowing the exact number of weeks / games, it does seem like there could be a window between the end of the World Juniors, and before Wheeler is back that the Jets could try Perfetti in the lineup, and possibly give him 2nd or 3rd line linemates. And maybe some PP time. Seems like a good opportunity to see where he's at, and if he could be a contributor this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No surgery for Wheeler. Great news.

So ..... not career ending then? :laugh:

Sounds like probably something in the 4-6 weeks range. Even though old guys heal more slowly. I think we can count on Wheeler to work hard at the rehab and get back quickly. I just hope he doesn't try to rush it and play before he is truly ready.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
No surgery news has me feeling cautiously optimistic. Hopefully this means that this knee injury is closer to Barkov/Sandin injury rather than a season ender. Barkov was out 3 weeks and missed like 8-9 games.

Reactions: GNP

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Good news about no surgery. What stuck out in the incident was the absolute reverence his teammates have for him. You could see it by players reaction and concern as he was tying to get off the ice, and it speaks volumes about what he means to the team.

Speedy recovery, Blake.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Forward lines when Wheeler is back...

KC PLD Perfetti
Copp Scheif Ehlers
Svech Stastny Wheeler
Hark Lowry KV

Too bad Gus is hurt, he's missing out on a lot of ice time. He should move into the LW spot on Lowry's line next year. He will essentially be Copper's replacement.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Forward lines when Wheeler is back...

KC PLD Perfetti
Copp Scheif Ehlers
Svech Stastny Wheeler
Hark Lowry KV

Too bad Gus is hurt, he's missing out on a lot of ice time. He should move into the LW spot on Lowry's line next year. He will essentially be Copper's replacement.
I like your lines but i don't think Wheeler will be 3rd line. I hope Perfetti plays well these next few games and forces Lowry to leave him on Dubois's line but i could also see Perfetti sent back to the Moose and Wheeler put on the Dubois line. It's going to be very interesting that's for sure.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I like your lines but i don't think Wheeler will be 3rd line. I hope Perfetti plays well these next few games and forces Lowry to leave him on Dubois's line but i could also see Perfetti sent back to the Moose and Wheeler put on the Dubois line. It's going to be very interesting that's for sure.
I agree. I think it's on many people's wish list but I think he remains a top 6 player. I just hope the leg injury doesn't derail the improved play we saw from him.

I still think Wheeler will be a key to our success this year at the least.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I agree. I think it's on many people's wish list but I think he remains a top 6 player. I just hope the leg injury doesn't derail the improved play we saw from him.

I still think Wheeler will be a key to our success this year at the least.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Guaranteed Perfetti is not taking his spot in the top 6. Wheeler has 3 less ES points than Scheifele as it stands. But with the lack of RH shots down the lineup I wouldn't be surprised if Scheifele and Wheeler get split up under Lowry.

Reactions: Jet

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I could see that as well. But we are a much stronger team of wheeler moves down and we keep Perfetti.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe we need to get out of the habit of labeling lines. This team is getting next to no contributions from our bottom 6 as I stands right now.

We need three lines that can contribute offense and outscore. I don't care if that means a couple of vets or a core player on the "third line".

Create three good lines and give them similar ice time 5 on 5.

Also good to see him on the ice. Hopefully his knee injury didn't slow his skating down further.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Maybe we need to get out of the habit of labeling lines. This team is getting next to no contributions from our bottom 6 as I stands right now.

We need three lines that can contribute offense and outscore. I don't care if that means a couple of vets or a core player on the "third line".

Create three good lines and give them similar ice time 5 on 5.

Also good to see him on the ice. Hopefully his knee injury didn't slow his skating down further.

I'm warming to the idea of Copp - Stastny - Wheeler. A "third line" of players who all "should" be higher up the lineup sounds pretty good to me, and I think this line has good balance. Not sure what that means for the Scheif line, though. ? - Scheif - Ehlers.

Could probably do Copp - Stastny - Perfetti as well in a pinch if they want to put Wheeler with Dubois again.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm warming to the idea of Copp - Stastny - Wheeler. A "third line" of players who all "should" be higher up the lineup sounds pretty good to me, and I think this line has good balance. Not sure what that means for the Scheif line, though. ? - Scheif - Ehlers.

Could probably do Copp - Stastny - Perfetti as well in a pinch if they want to put Wheeler with Dubois again.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Perfetti - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Dubois - Svechnikov
Copp - Stastny - Wheeler

sounds pretty good to me

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I could see that as well. But we are a much stronger team of wheeler moves down and we keep Perfetti.

I don't really see how anyone can argue this point since Perfetti hasn't scored a point in 4 games. Wheeler has 17 points, including 12 ES. Kids's had 2 now with Connor-Dubois, so his results are less than what Svetchnikov was producing in that spot.

Perfetti's been given a trial. What he does in the spot is important to making a lineup. Because when Wheeler comes back the Cap and roster space are going to shake someone out. If you want to keep a player like Samberg up, the only solution is to waive a player like Beaulieu, which I know will get approval, but it's not a guarantee that he gets a spot even if that happens. When Wheeler went down, the first callup was Reichel who has scored, and helps the defensive side of the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a power line of Connor-Dubois-Scheifele that could put up points regularly.

Ehlers-Stastny-Wheeler to follow

And Lowry-Copp are probably the most effective checking line in the NHL. I am pretty sure that's the Jets top 8, who 9 is has been a battle all year, and if Perfetti earns a spot in the top 9, it's only by knocking out a non special teams player, like Vesalainen, so that would reverberate in a more talented top 9. As Harkins is probably the one who gets bumped to the 4th line.

I haven't seen any indication that Dave Lowry is planning to demote his son, who is doing the job required of him, to promote more "potential" scoring.

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad