Wheeler: "It's gotta be this year"

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
not you too matty. Hendricks in the room during a game. I thought for sure he was moose bound.

It's less of a stretch to say he meant in the kitchen hanging out on off days than he's got a guaranteed spot in the lineup...

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
It's less of a stretch to say he meant in the kitchen hanging out on off days than he's got a guaranteed spot in the lineup...

petan dano tanev. does he really have a hard road to hoe.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
everybody knows when a hockey player says the room they are talking about the dressing room. and how many of those rooms you described would the younger players go quiet in. I'm sure younger players get quiet in games that they are losing in and not when they are working out or while watching videos.

I would bet it's more team loses 3 in a row and young players show up for practice and don't talk.

How much time for talking do you really think there is during the roughly 30 minute intermissions during Games? The coach likely comes in and breaks down the period and informs the players of any alterations in systems (Likely half the intermission right there) Then you have players doing interviews and likely getting equipment looked at, injuries sprayed or tapped etc. Then they often stand in the hallway and psyc themselves up for a good number of minutes prior to coming back out. I don't see the need for room talkers during games, there really isn't near enough time for it to accomplish much of anything.

I see plenty of talking on the bench during games between teammates and imo that's what is important on game day.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
petan dano tanev. does he really have a hard road to hoe.

ESL
CLW
PLA

He has to beat out three of Copp, Dano, Matthias, Petan, Tanev, Roslovic to get into games. Only person I see him possibly beating out is Tanev (also assume it's AHL for development for Roslovic unless he busts the doors down).

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
ESL
CLW
PLA

He has to beat out three of Copp, Dano, Matthias, Petan, Tanev, Roslovic to get into games. Only person I see him possibly beating out is Tanev (also assume it's AHL for development for Roslovic unless he busts the doors down).

He's a center, so he just has to beat out one of Copp and Petan, and he won't start ahead of Matthias and Copp. Unless they run Matthias-Hendricks-Copp, Hendricks is starting the season in the PB with Tanev/Petan/Dano.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
ESL
CLW
PLA

I don't believe roslovic or petan even belong in the conversation they will be on the moose. he has to beat out tanev and dano. I like his odds. especially after the wheeler and perreault comments. this is the 4th line we are talking about. 3 players that will be hard on the puck with 2 veterans and a young player. mathias Hendricks and copp.

edit:it also helps his cause when the team says they prefer copp on the wing.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah but he didnt mention anything about him playing :p.

Also the team is in the "room" substantially more than just during the games. The time a player spends in the games is miniscule to the time they are in the room for practice, working out, team meetings and video stuff.

Seems to be a bit of a theme building about it being a quiet room and lacking some energy. This (Hendricks) signing looks to be something the vets were pushing for. I guy in the room, at practice, meetings etc. that brings a vocal energy. Can't remember who was discussing this, but there was the idea the vets might have wanted a vocal vet who didn't care if he called out a player for something even if he was sitting in the PB.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
perreault/connor-lowry-armia
copp-hendricks-matthias
^
No playoffs this year if they run that garbage in their bottom 6. We've got 1-2 cracks at it before 3 of: Trouba, Wheeler, Little, Byfuglien, Myers, Perreault are pushed out due to the cap. Chevy needed to bring in a stop-gap 3C to bump Lowry down to the 4th. Failed again. Even the ****ing Canucks are poised to have a better 3rd line than us.

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Seems to be a bit of a theme building about it being a quiet room and lacking some energy. This (Hendricks) signing looks to be something the vets were pushing for. I guy in the room, at practice, meetings etc. that brings a vocal energy. Can't remember who was discussing this, but there was the idea the vets might have wanted a vocal vet who didn't care if he called out a player for something even if he was sitting in the PB.

good point.

wonder if thorburn played this role previously? or perhaps not vocal enough.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
good point.

wonder if thorburn played this role previously? or perhaps not vocal enough.

Thor seemed to be everyone's friend on the team so I doubt he would have pulled it off.

My guess was that it might have been Stuart?

Anyhow I think what needs to happen is for the young guys to start holding each other accountable. I don't see how a vet thatvisnt a great player will be effectivw calling people out. It generally has more weight coming from a good player.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Thor seemed to be everyone's friend on the team so I doubt he would have pulled it off.

My guess was that it might have been Stuart?

Anyhow I think what needs to happen is for the young guys to start holding each other accountable. I don't see how a vet thatvisnt a great player will be effectivw calling people out. It generally has more weight coming from a good player.

My take it is a balancing act. We forget some of these guys don't even shave regularly yet. Getting called out by Wheeler or Buff might be a bit crushing and have the opposite effect of what was intended. Having the nasty PB guy do it and then have the captain say he has a point but I believe in you so let's go, fosters team chemistry IMO. I've said it a few times we almost always negate human psychology and the workings of group dynamics in our discussions.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My take it is a balancing act. We forget some of these guys don't even shave regularly yet. Getting called out by Wheeler or Buff might be a bit crushing and have the opposite effect of what was intended. Having the nasty PB guy do it and then have the captain say he has a point but I believe in you so let's go, fosters team chemistry IMO. I've said it a few times we almost always negate human psychology and the workings of group dynamics in our discussions.

Oh I agree that there is an element of group dynamics that we as fans don't see and often underrate.

It is my experience that successful teams are ones where everyone's view is important and that all players come up with a code of conduct and hold themselves accountable. Maurice can't I'm still discipline on his own for instance, the players need to get on each other for terrible penalties. There is greater fear/motivation in not letting a teammate down than there is from supervisory discipline action for instance.

The problem as i see it (Discipline wise) is the alpha in the room Buff is the biggest culprit. Until he starts to be held accountable by his peers the issue won't stop.

I'm also not that concerned about that this year. Scheifele essentially called everyone out in his end of year PC. He won't let things slide. Perrault is vocal, wheeler is vocal.

Guys like Laine and Morrissey who have been apart of winning teams at lower levels will now have enough clout to start influencing the room.

A PB who is an outsider will likely not commend as much respect imo.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
HF Jets: Getting all worked up about a PR opportunity by the captain, and overreacting to the ninth degree over a 13th forward :laugh:

I don't mind having Hendricks on this team. If he plays over another player, it's probably because that other player isn't good enough to play.

Oh, I know though, Petan is the next Johnny Hockey... the metrics say so! :laugh:

I'd rather focus on players who will ACTUALLY IMPACT our season success... guys like Mason, Hellebuyck, Myers, Kulikov.

The outrage over players with little to no real significance is comical.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think you are reading too much into it. Wheeler doesn't know who make up the 4th line opening night. If he sat down and thought about it he'd likely come up with a list with a handful of players on it, not that he would share it privately. But these players are all his teammates, to him they are all on the ice and they are all in the room. Even though on opening night only 3 will actually be on the ice or in the room for that game. But throughout the season they will all be on the ice at times and be in the room at times.

I don't know if you heard the chevy interview on xm today . but boy it sure sounded like he said Hendricks will be on the bottom 6 of team. so wheeler perreault and now chevy all same the same thing.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't know if you heard the chevy interview on xm today . but boy it sure sounded like he said Hendricks will be on the bottom 6 of team. so wheeler perreault and now chevy all same the same thing.

Well, not that I buy any of this nonsense, but if true, it's extremely disappointing that the management and leadership of such a promising, up and coming team like the Jets, is virtually gifting a spot to a 36 year old plug.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I thought it was a bit of a throw-away comment, and sounded to me more of a depth signing rather than considered a core bottom-6 piece. He also mentioned that Roslovic and Lemieux could push hard for a roster spot, presumably in the bottom-6. That would give the Jets about 10 or 11 "bottom 6" forward options.

I think it's premature to project Hendricks as anything more than a press-box forward who plays if the Jets are concerned about a lack of "muscle" in a particular match-up.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
HF Jets: Getting all worked up about a PR opportunity by the captain, and overreacting to the ninth degree over a 13th forward :laugh:

Pretty much this. To those who criticized what Wheeler did say, I can only ask them, "What would you rather he said?"

I can't think of anything else he was supposed to say. Or I guess more accurately, I can't think of anything he could have said that would have merited less criticism than he's gotten.

Which, as pointed out above, is ridiculous given what we're talking about here -- a player whose likely role is to be the canary in the coal mine; we'll know the team's doing well if he's in the PB, we'll know the team's sucking if he's playing.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hope this thread is close to what i would like to ask , does anyone other than me think Wheeler has been down right awful so far this season ? He skates hard once a shift and then he is bent over sucking air and floats around . I wonder if he is hurt or not in game shape yet .

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Hope this thread is close to what i would like to ask , does anyone other than me think Wheeler has been down right awful so far this season ? He skates hard once a shift and then he is bent over sucking air and floats around . I wonder if he is hurt or not in game shape yet .
He has been a notoriously slow starter except for last year, likely due to the world cup thingy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad