Wheeler: "It's gotta be this year"

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
[NHL2]t-277437442/c-52505003[/NHL2]
Not that it means anything, but the NHL.com preview has the Jets missing the playoffs.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Both reading too much into it. How carefully do you think he chooses his words? I don't think the nuance runs that deeply.

He just means that it is time and all the pieces are in place to compete. No more development years, no more excuses.

Lots of reading too much into Wheeler's statements. On the Hendricks statement of course he is going to say something positive about a new teammate. He could have been asked about the janitor at the iceplex and he would have responded how important clean bathrooms are. At this point Wheeler has no idea who Maurice will start on opening night other then the obvious players and his definition of team is much broader than most of ours. They are all the depth players and many of the guys on the Moose. The "its gotta be this year" is we have a team that is good enough to win enough and we will. I expect a lot more this is the year statements from a wide range of players over the coming weeks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not that it means anything, but the NHL.com preview has the Jets missing the playoffs.

No one has us making them which is fine by me. I'm quite happy with the under dog status. I hope these clippings are finding the bulletin board.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
this is perfect. Bill Belichick routinely milks this kind of disrespect into superbowls. human motivation is a wondrous and powerful thing.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Yes, but like most media stories on the Jets they are a little out of touch with the team. Compliments our top 6 forwards naming each by name and includes Connor in that. Then call out the complete lack of depth beyond that ignoring the fact that they didn't mention Perreault.

Media picking the Jets to not make the playoffs is nothing new.
Most years we were predicted to finish in the bottom 2 or 3 of our conference and in some of those years we got 9th. The next year they predict us to finish at the bottom again. Oh well, playing underdog is certainly more fun (at times).

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Wheeler also thinks Maurice is a great coach. I bet his kids are better at assessing than he is.

Yah what would Wheeler know about good NHL coaches? After all he is only a top 5 winger in the league and a captain of a NHL team so who would take his opinion seriously when HF board posters that never played in the NHL have a much better understanding of what it takes to be a good NHL coach. :(

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, but like most media stories on the Jets they are a little out of touch with the team. Compliments our top 6 forwards naming each by name and includes Connor in that. Then call out the complete lack of depth beyond that ignoring the fact that they didn't mention Perreault.

Media picking the Jets to not make the playoffs is nothing new.
Most years we were predicted to finish in the bottom 2 or 3 of our conference and in some of those years we got 9th. The next year they predict us to finish at the bottom again. Oh well, playing underdog is certainly more fun (at times).

Motivation is clear. Make them take notice.

Everyone is hungry. They all know it's make or break.

It's time to see what these guys are made of.

I know mostly everyone is going to be in overdrive. Nobody wants to lose, there guys are not here for just a big payday, they want to win. And more importantly, they know they can win. They feel they can win against any team, any night.

This team is going to shock some people this year.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
wheeler is clearly talking about in the locker room and on the ice during games and not practice in the answer about Hendricks. forgive me for saying you were spinning but if you believe he was talking about practice. ok then.

I mena he was talking in general - not necessarily on the ice DURING GAMES. I tried to make a point that "on the ice" is a general term around a professional hockey team and it doesn't necessarily mean only what people are wanting to hear while looking for an anger release about Thorburn and now Hendricks. If you prefer to get stuck up into that point of detail it's fine to me.

What is not fine is accusing a long time poster of HFJets inside of HF Jets of purposely making something up just to support his argument and therefore lie. Especially if you could have just opend up said article, hit CTRL + F and put in "on the ice" to jump to said part just like that yourself. And then even topping that with doing the exact same thing yourself but your quote is literally made up. You can run around and act that way on the main or trade board but that's not how we treat ech other around here.

This is the last thing I'm going to add to that.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Well the thing about a lot of the predictions from various media outlets is that they all do a similar thing - they ask the question "if the Jets make the playoffs, who falls out?" Then they decide that none of the other PO teams are going to give up their spot so therefore, we don't get in. Westwood has been doing this on 1290 for a while too. The reality is that the gulf between PO and non PO teams isn't so huge. Even with all the issues we suffered through last season, a few more wins and we'd have been in. League average goaltending probably gets us in a couple times over the past six seasons. If we win a few more games this season, we're in and one of the other "PO teams" gets to sit.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well the thing about a lot of the predictions from various media outlets is that they all do a similar thing - they ask the question "if the Jets make the playoffs, who falls out?" Then they decide that none of the other PO teams are going to give up their spot so therefore, we don't get in. Westwood has been doing this on 1290 for a while too. The reality is that the gulf between PO and non PO teams isn't so huge. Even with all the issues we suffered through last season, a few more wins and we'd have been in. League average goaltending probably gets us in a couple times over the past six seasons. If we win a few more games this season, we're in and one of the other "PO teams" gets to sit.

Good post.

Everyone tries too hard to figure out who is falling out and why when so much of it is random. This league is so dam close that it doesn't take much for teams to miss. Each year 4-7 teams do not return to the playoffs and why is that? PDO, terrible save %, injuries, just plain old crappy luck, you got lucky the year before, all things that are hard to tell now. The analytics community have slightly better predictive capabilities but nobody knows for sure at this point what is going to happen and who is going to lose their spot. It's why we all keep plunking down our cash before the season for games.

I don't know who will fall off, however, I think I know one team who is going to rise up and why they will. I have my whites lwashed and ready in case I am right.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Great quote by Wheeler love it.

The AHL is for development, that's where Petan and Roslovic should be unless Scheif or Little goes down. Hendricks is essentially old Slater so take it for what it is. The dream of a young skilled 4th line isn't happening yet.

Matthias Hendricks Dano should be fine for 4th line and both wingers can move up without crippling the team.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I mena he was talking in general - not necessarily on the ice DURING GAMES. I tried to make a point that "on the ice" is a general term around a professional hockey team and it doesn't necessarily mean only what people are wanting to hear while looking for an anger release about Thorburn and now Hendricks. If you prefer to get stuck up into that point of detail it's fine to me.

What is not fine is accusing a long time poster of HFJets inside of HF Jets of purposely making something up just to support his argument and therefore lie. Especially if you could have just opend up said article, hit CTRL + F and put in "on the ice" to jump to said part just like that yourself. And then even topping that with doing the exact same thing yourself but your quote is literally made up. You can run around and act that way on the main or trade board but that's not how we treat ech other around here.

This is the last thing I'm going to add to that.
this is what you said. " he's not actually mentioning anything about Hendricks playing". but he was. so when wheeler says " it's going to mean a great deal to me to have another voice in there. we have a young team and that room can go quiet a little bit sometimes, so to have someone other than scheif or buff step up and be a voice and lead by example on the ice , I think its a great addition". you better believe he is mentioning Hendricks is playing. you took on the ice out of context to what wheeler was saying.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Great quote by Wheeler love it.

The AHL is for development, that's where Petan and Roslovic should be unless Scheif or Little goes down. Hendricks is essentially old Slater so take it for what it is. The dream of a young skilled 4th line isn't happening yet.

Matthias Hendricks Dano should be fine for 4th line and both wingers can move up without crippling the team.

Where does Copp play? He's better than Matthias and much better than Hendricks.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
this is what you said. " he's not actually mentioning anything about Hendricks playing". but he was. so when wheeler says " it's going to mean a great deal to me to have another voice in there. we have a young team and that room can go quiet a little bit sometimes, so to have someone other than scheif or buff step up and be a voice and lead by example on the ice , I think its a great addition". you better believe he is mentioning Hendricks is playing. you took on the ice out of context to what wheeler was saying.

I think you are reading too much into it. Wheeler doesn't know who make up the 4th line opening night. If he sat down and thought about it he'd likely come up with a list with a handful of players on it, not that he would share it privately. But these players are all his teammates, to him they are all on the ice and they are all in the room. Even though on opening night only 3 will actually be on the ice or in the room for that game. But throughout the season they will all be on the ice at times and be in the room at times.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think you are reading too much into it. Wheeler doesn't know who make up the 4th line opening night. If he sat down and thought about it he'd likely come up with a list with a handful of players on it, not that he would share it privately. But these players are all his teammates, to him they are all on the ice and they are all in the room. Even though on opening night only 3 will actually be on the ice or in the room for that game. But throughout the season they will all be on the ice at times and be in the room at times.

I'm not reading anything into it. he said what he said and I will take him at his word. I think all 20 spots are filled and the cuts will be coming fast and furious at tc. just the 2 pb forwards to figure out.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Sure. Whatever, you're right and Wheeler is a big fan of Hendricks and wants him to play every night. I don't think there is much purpose in discussing anything with you.

:shakehead

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not reading anything into it. he said what he said and I will take him at his word. I think all 20 spots are filled and the cuts will be coming fast and furious at tc. just the 2 pb forwards to figure out.

And you think Wheeler knows who the 20 man roster will be opening night?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm not reading anything into it. he said what he said and I will take him at his word...

:laugh:

You're gonna look pretty foolish if you take players (or coaches or GMs) "at their word" in the stuff they say to the media very often...

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

This is would be a very poor way to develop a competitive team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad