Wheeler: "It's gotta be this year"

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wheeler also thinks Maurice is a great coach. I bet his kids are better at assessing than he is.

In fairness Blake seems to have really flourished under Paul as a player so I get why he likes him. It all needs to translate into team results this season though or I doubt Paul makes the cut.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
are you serious? :laugh:

8ibKxgG.png

:laugh: At the same time YOU are quoting something he never said :laugh:

[mod]

wheeler is clearly talking about in the locker room and on the ice during games and not practice in the answer about Hendricks. forgive me for saying you were spinning but if you believe he was talking about practice. ok then.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Wheeler is right... It's gotta be this year and it should be this year.... at least for a serious push IMO. The talent is there. Anything less than the playoffs...

Now... we just have to see if the gentlemen that play the net are going to pull this franchise to the depths of despair as we have seen in almost every season of this franchise.

I am holding my optimism in check until I see just how many pucks these guys can actually stop.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
wheeler is clearly talking about in the locker room and on the ice during games and not practice in the answer about Hendricks. forgive me for saying you were spinning but if you believe he was talking about practice. ok then.

What do you think would happen if he was asked about Hendricks and his answer was "let's see if he makes the team first?"

Basically bashing Hendricks in the media before he even gets here doesn't seem like a good way for a captain to talk in the media. Not to mention the huge backlash that would result from criticizing the signing by the organization.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Reading what Wheel said and given he probably knows and respects Hendricks (both Minnesotans and all), I actually believe he meant it this time. Sure he wouldn't say anything bad, but I'm reading a fair bit more than that here. Actually I really feel that Hendricks is currently pencilled in lineup -- probably as a bench warmer to start but given PMo, we all know where that goes.

Oh well, hopefully he's better at his role than the nose, or hopefully PMo has figured out a thing or two and is a little less inclined to use Hendricks as much as he used Thorbs.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
I recall his statement from preseason last year was was less than ambitious. He had questions about the players coming in, how they will fit in and what the team identity was to look like. Connor, helle, petan, didn't meet expectations. Laine, Morrissey, and Schiefele exceeded expectations. Most met expectations, and others were not expected to be in their future plans.

It makes sense that he says "it's gotta be this year". This year, the roster is pretty much set unless someone really has a great camp. Management had last year to assess what they needed and coaches had all year to create an identity for this group. It will be up to the players to perform consistently throughout the whole year.

There are no unknowns this year. The schedule is great. So expectations for everyone is higher. Start the season already!!!!!

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
What do you think would happen if he was asked about Hendricks and his answer was "let's see if he makes the team first?"

Basically bashing Hendricks in the media before he even gets here doesn't seem like a good way for a captain to talk in the media. Not to mention the huge backlash that would result from criticizing the signing by the organization.

Dreger said on july 1st, the team was still in the market for a centre. That's pretty spacific. Not your standard they aren't done yet. The team saying all along that they see copp as a winger and not a centre. Now they sign a centre. Add to that the wheeler comments. Sounds to me they are thinking of playing him at centre on the 4th line.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Any player with 1/2 a brain would not speak poorly of a new acquisition.
"It's gotta be this year" is actually more concerning.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Dreger said on july 1st, the team was still in the market for a centre. That's pretty spacific. Not your standard they aren't done yet. The team saying all along that they see copp as a winger and not a centre. Now they sign a centre. Add to that the wheeler comments. Sounds to me they are thinking of playing him at centre on the 4th line.

They wanted Bonnino apparently which too me signifies they where aiming much higher than a 4C. That means the team likely wants Lowry at 4C. Not sure how signing a depth vet for locker room leadership applies to your logic as they where looking for a replacement for Lowry not Copp.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Hendricks salary is telling I think. You don't pay someone who is regularly in the lineup $700k. That to me is the kind of money you spend on a guy purely brought in for depth.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Hendricks salary is telling I think. You don't pay someone who is regularly in the lineup $700k. That to me is the kind of money you spend on a guy purely brought in for depth.

I'm confident the team will put the player the think will help the most in that 4th line role. Its not going to be a big on ice role who ever it is.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
One thing is for certain...this season is going to go one of two ways - it'll either be the best season since the team returned, or the most disappointing. The scary thing is I think it's about 50/50 how it goes. :(

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wheeler is right... It's gotta be this year and it should be this year.... at least for a serious push IMO. The talent is there. Anything less than the playoffs...

Now... we just have to see if the gentlemen that play the net are going to pull this franchise to the depths of despair as we have seen in almost every season of this franchise.

I am holding my optimism in check until I see just how many pucks these guys can actually stop.

I can't be pessimistic about this season.
Schedule: Last years was incredible. It was a record setting pace for the first 32 games and didn't slow down much until about the last 10. That has to have had an effect and then combine it with having the coach miss the entire TC and the guy filling in being new to the team plus the fact that it was a young team with a lot of rookies and 2nd year players. On top of that we are one of the teams with the toughest travel situation. It was a perfect storm of unfavourable circumstance. All that alone might make the difference between making the playoffs and not last year.

This years schedule is almost friendly by comparison.

Injuries: Without going back and verifying the numbers the Jets have had epic injury trouble in 2 of the last 3 years. If that was just random chance we are due a few years with no injuries at all. If it isn't dramatically better this year will have to start wondering if the Jets are doing something wrong.

Roster: Should be better just from the young players having another year of experience. In addition to that we will be adding at least a few better players.

Goaltending: It doesn't even need to improve to league avg. If Mason & Helle can combine for just .910 it will make a difference that would have had us in the playoffs last year.

There really should be a 'coming together' of several factors that will have us well above the cut line.

Notice, I haven't even mentioned improved discipline or ST's. Maurice can continue to coach like he has in the past and we should be a playoff team in spite of him.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What does Wheeler mean by "It's gotta be this year"? What if it's not? Is he trying to hint at something or am I reading into things that aren't there?

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
What does Wheeler mean by "It's gotta be this year"? What if it's not? Is he trying to hint at something or am I reading into things that aren't there?

Wheeler is highly competitive and not getting any younger. After this year, only one more left on his contract.

Would it really come as a shock or surprise if he asked for a trade prior to the start of 2018/2019 if the Jets didn't make the playoffs this season coming up ?

I read it as his patience is over, and he wants to start winning now or be traded next season and I don't blame him.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
He means it's time for a big step in a positive direction or the **** is going to hit the fan. And he's right.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
One thing is for certain...this season is going to go one of two ways - it'll either be the best season since the team returned, or the most disappointing. The scary thing is I think it's about 50/50 how it goes. :(

This! The Jets hyping themselves kind of makes me even more nervous. All their best periods have been when the pressure was off :help:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Wheeler is highly competitive and not getting any younger. After this year, only one more left on his contract.

Would it really come as a shock or surprise if he asked for a trade prior to the start of 2018/2019 if the Jets didn't make the playoffs this season coming up ?

I read it as his patience is over, and he wants to start winning now or be traded next season and I don't blame him.

Both reading too much into it. How carefully do you think he chooses his words? I don't think the nuance runs that deeply.

He just means that it is time and all the pieces are in place to compete. No more development years, no more excuses.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

I read it as.
Gotta happen before he considers re-signing here.
Wheeler knows like the whole fan base does that failure is not an option.
I can see Blake moving on if we are a bubble team again.
This man wants to win before his career is done.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Haven't the majority of us said they need to take a step forward? Does this roster not look like it's ready, given the talented youth that have gained a year in age, our very good vets, improved defense (Myers if he stays healthy, and Kuli), and a potentially very good goaltending duo?

I picked them to finish 3rd in the conference, but I fully expect a Cup this year - I'm bullish enough on this roster that I think they have a very good chance.

Thumbs up to Wheels for his statement.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I can't be pessimistic about this season.
Schedule: Last years was incredible. It was a record setting pace for the first 32 games and didn't slow down much until about the last 10. That has to have had an effect and then combine it with having the coach miss the entire TC and the guy filling in being new to the team plus the fact that it was a young team with a lot of rookies and 2nd year players. On top of that we are one of the teams with the toughest travel situation. It was a perfect storm of unfavourable circumstance. All that alone might make the difference between making the playoffs and not last year.

This years schedule is almost friendly by comparison.

Injuries: Without going back and verifying the numbers the Jets have had epic injury trouble in 2 of the last 3 years. If that was just random chance we are due a few years with no injuries at all. If it isn't dramatically better this year will have to start wondering if the Jets are doing something wrong.

Roster: Should be better just from the young players having another year of experience. In addition to that we will be adding at least a few better players.

Goaltending: It doesn't even need to improve to league avg. If Mason & Helle can combine for just .910 it will make a difference that would have had us in the playoffs last year.

There really should be a 'coming together' of several factors that will have us well above the cut line.

Notice, I haven't even mentioned improved discipline or ST's. Maurice can continue to coach like he has in the past and we should be a playoff team in spite of him.

All this is pretty much exactly what i've been thinking heading into next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad