Wheeler: "It's gotta be this year"

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Does anyone recall how Wheeler did on the beep test?

I wasn't there this year but last season I did watch him do it at training camp. He was with the group of players returning from the WCOH so it was later in camp compared to everyone else. He did very well in the test although Scheifele went the furthest. He wasn't that far behind.

Maurice mentioned several times he was very happy with how the players tested this year.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Wheeler got way overplayed a few games ago, and since he's been pk, pp, and ev, it's not going to be the best version of Wheeler.

But he's still the guy who will throw the team on his back if things start to fall apart. He just might wait until then.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Wheeler on expectations:
"It's gotta be this year, it just has to be...We have enough talent. There's no reason why we can't push this to the next level this year. It's going to be getting this group together and figuring out how we have to play to win hockey games."

You want a reason, Wheeler? Look in the mirror. Yeah, I've heard the "Wheeler's a slow starter" mantra. f*** that. Points lost at the start of the season are no different than points lost during a playoff push. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. And you've been part of the problem since you arrived in Atlanta. Just another big talker, like Maurice. Get rid of this poser. I'm sick of him. :mad:

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
Wheeler should have been traded with Byfuglien years ago but nobody listened. After a game he has 2 or 3 good shifts people are on his side.

If you want to know more on what the Jets should do. Just ask me.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I suppose I should step in now and say it's probably not the fault of our PPG captain that the jets have been terrible, and the idea that he should be traded away is pathetic and laughable.

Remember how Beaulieu was being mocked in this Around the League post?
Around the League 2017-18

Wheeler's give away on Foligno's goal looked remarkably similar.

Screw the PPG stat, I've always felt that Wheeler is a noticeably clumsy and careless player at times, and in instances like this, it bites us in the ass.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Maybe Wheeler doesn't deserve all the blame, but the whole "Maurice as Scapegoat" thing has for many posters gone too far such that players are not being given any responsibility for their role in the mess we're in.

In my view, after six games this team seems to be in disarray and there is blame to go around among players and coaching staff. I still think that Maurice is not the only piece of the puzzle. I've not been impressed with Wheeler's defensive play at all this season. The goals being scored against are mostly being scored against our top two lines not so much against the much maligned third line. Wheeler is the captain and helps set the tone. The tone has not been a good one and I wasn't overly impressed with Wheeler's post game "we're going to have games like this" presser.

This just further reinforced my view that if the coach goes some of the veteran leadership needs to go too. Hiw many coaches do we need to go through before we say the players are partly to blame too?

Reactions: FFHockey

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Maybe Wheeler doesn't deserve all the blame, but the whole "Maurice as Scapegoat" thing has for many posters gone too far such that players are not being given any responsibility for their role in the mess we're in.

In my view, after six games this team seems to be in disarray and there is blame to go around among players and coaching staff. I still think that Maurice is not the only piece of the puzzle. I've not been impressed with Wheeler's defensive play at all this season. The goals being scored against are mostly being scored against our top two lines not so much against the much maligned third line. Wheeler is the captain and helps set the tone. The tone has not been a good one and I wasn't overly impressed with Wheeler's post game "we're going to have games like this" presser.

This just further reinforced my view that if the coach goes some of the veteran leadership needs to go too. Hiw many coaches do we need to go through before we say the players are partly to blame too?

And this is pretty much where I'm at. Someone mentioned there should be a player shake up before Maurice goes, and I agree. That shakeup doesn't happen by trading a Petan or a Dano. It has to be one of those "holy shit, what just happened" moments for the other players. Kane/Bogo was one such moment, Wheeler would be another. If people think I'm directing all my anger at Wheeler, trust me, I have lots of anger to go around. :nod: And to be honest, it's not even anger most of the time. Disappointment, frustration, even apathy. Like, give me a reason to care again.

Reactions: ERYX

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I've long advocated trading Wheeler because I don't think we need to or can afford to resign him when his contract comes up. I was starting to second-guess this assessment because he is such a good power forward. But, I still maintain he will be much like Ladd in wanting waaaaaaay too much $ & term to re-sign. And I think we have enough talent in the lineup, and with guys like Roslo & Vesal coming up, I think we can afford to trade him.

So if we need that really good shake-up, now is the time for Chevy to find out where Wheeler sits on renegotiating his contract & if they are miles apart, pull the trigger on a major shakeup. As others have said, they probably need to go the big trade route before releasing PMo, so lets do it.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I've long advocated trading Wheeler because I don't think we need to or can afford to resign him when his contract comes up. I was starting to second-guess this assessment because he is such a good power forward. But, I still maintain he will be much like Ladd in wanting waaaaaaay too much $ & term to re-sign. And I think we have enough talent in the lineup, and with guys like Roslo & Vesal coming up, I think we can afford to trade him.

So if we need that really good shake-up, now is the time for Chevy to find out where Wheeler sits on renegotiating his contract & if they are miles apart, pull the trigger on a major shakeup. As others have said, they probably need to go the big trade route before releasing PMo, so lets do it.

There is also the possibility that Roslovic and Vesalainen don't amount to "top-six" producers.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
index.jpg
Does anyone recall how Wheeler did on the beep test?
Apparently he drank 2 liters of it & then burped the alphabet up to QUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Reactions: Afterburner

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
If you have to eat a shit sandwich, best thing is to take a big bite, chew, swallow and repeat until you're done.

Try not to think about your pate too much.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Remember how Beaulieu was being mocked in this Around the League post?
Around the League 2017-18

Wheeler's give away on Foligno's goal looked remarkably similar.

Screw the PPG stat, I've always felt that Wheeler is a noticeably clumsy and careless player at times, and in instances like this, it bites us in the ass.

So where is your b******* about Laine giving the puck away 4 times on the powerplay? Ehlers giving the puck away leading to a goal? Enstrom giving the puck away leading to a goal? Mason not making saves to keep us in the game?

It's a team game, getting mad at a single player, especially the player that is normally the best player for us is plain silly. Actually suggesting to get rid of our most consistent player over the past 5 years because he gave the puck away?

Give your head a shake lol.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You want a reason, Wheeler? Look in the mirror. Yeah, I've heard the "Wheeler's a slow starter" mantra. **** that. Points lost at the start of the season are no different than points lost during a playoff push. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. And you've been part of the problem since you arrived in Atlanta. Just another big talker, like Maurice. Get rid of this poser. I'm sick of him. :mad:

You sound disappointed! I thought pessimism was the infallible defense against that. JK :laugh:

I think Wheeler has been less than he can be so far but I think you might be putting a little too much blame on him. I'm not repeating the 'Wheeler's a slow starter' line. That has often been trotted out when he has been playing well but not scoring. So far this year he really has not played well but has enough A's to be at a PPG pace. Put him back with Little where he belongs and see what happens.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
And this is pretty much where I'm at. Someone mentioned there should be a player shake up before Maurice goes, and I agree. That shakeup doesn't happen by trading a Petan or a Dano. It has to be one of those "holy ****, what just happened" moments for the other players. Kane/Bogo was one such moment, Wheeler would be another. If people think I'm directing all my anger at Wheeler, trust me, I have lots of anger to go around. :nod: And to be honest, it's not even anger most of the time. Disappointment, frustration, even apathy. Like, give me a reason to care again.

Every player in the NHL include elite players who plays any reasonable amount of minutes is going to make a bad play or a bad turnover now and then, a few times a season that bad play is going to result in a goal against. That's the cost of doing business in the NHL, at the end of the day all the matters is players contribute more good than bad. Wheeler's good outweighs his bad by around the same level as an elite top line player in the NHL. Wheeler is not the problem here. If Wheeler gets moved, there is pretty much no hope for the Jets to get out of the bottom 10 (likely bottom 5) this season

Reactions: kxx

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Of course the players are partly to blame. It isn't being said because that goes without saying.

These are the players we have. As a group they are talented, skilled and hard working.
It is the coaches job to get the most out of the players he is given. Maurice is not doing that.

I didn't listen to Wheeler's presser but if you quoted him accurately I don't have much use for that statement. Every game this year has looked like last night. They have all been characterized by the opponents checking the Jets very tightly and being first to the puck. The Jets are a fast team. They are being made to look slow by the quickness of the other teams.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
So where is your b******* about Laine giving the puck away 4 times on the powerplay? Ehlers giving the puck away leading to a goal? Enstrom giving the puck away leading to a goal? Mason not making saves to keep us in the game?

It's a team game, getting mad at a single player, especially the player that is normally the best player for us is plain silly. Actually suggesting to get rid of our most consistent player over the past 5 years because he gave the puck away?

Give your head a shake lol.

So, you would prefer it if I'm even more negative and complain about others? Yeah, I can do that. Wheeler is my pet peeve at the moment simply because I expect more from him, especially after all the talk about this team has to step up this year. If the young-uns continue acting out, they will probably get a stern lecture from me at some point but I'm trying to be a bit more patient there. Mason I am complaining about. Enstrom is like winter to me. No use for it, but it will go away soon enough. Can't be bothered to complain about it.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Of course the players are partly to blame. It isn't being said because that goes without saying.

These are the players we have. As a group they are talented, skilled and hard working.
It is the coaches job to get the most out of the players he is given. Maurice is not doing that.

I didn't listen to Wheeler's presser but if you quoted him accurately I don't have much use for that statement. Every game this year has looked like last night. They have all been characterized by the opponents checking the Jets very tightly and being first to the puck. The Jets are a fast team. They are being made to look slow by the quickness of the other teams.

Yet PoMo's blame is in every thread - have we reached the point yet where it goes without saying - PoMo is a bad coach?

The players have a lot to do with this mess - they are not showing up on most nights (so far) and calling it out makes sense to me. Wheeler's bone head pass last night was not the coaches fault - same can be said for many of the other lapses. If they are skilled, talented and hardworking (cough), I'm not seeing it and wouldn't necessarily blame the coach. Sometimes it's attitude -I seen some of that (in a bad way) in the Wheeler post game interview.

Not defending Paul but voicing the issues across the group (including coaching) is fair game.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yet PoMo's blame is in every thread - have we reached the point yet where it goes without saying - PoMo is a bad coach?

The players have a lot to do with this mess - they are not showing up on most nights (so far) and calling it out makes sense to me. Wheeler's bone head pass last night was not the coaches fault - same can be said for many of the other lapses. If they are skilled, talented and hardworking (cough), I'm not seeing it and wouldn't necessarily blame the coach. Sometimes it's attitude -I seen some of that (in a bad way) in the Wheeler post game interview.

Not defending Paul but voicing the issues across the group (including coaching) is fair game.

Hah! OK, you got me. :laugh:

No we haven't quite reached that point yet. Getting close though.

When we lose every mistake by a player stands out but the fact is that there are lots of mistakes made in games where they play well too. Are they not showing up most nights? IDK. They are not playing 'the right way'. Whether that is not showing up, bad attitude, bad coaching or all of the above I can't say for sure from this distance.

I'll have to go and watch Wheeler's interview. Bad attitude or just frustration?

Edit: Watched the Wheeler interview. I guess it could be taken different ways. What I didn't like was that he didn't seem to be aware of how poorly they played against Van and Carolina. Made me suspect they got a little full of themselves after 3 W's and let up. They were never good enough to be able to afford even a small letup.

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
You want a reason, Wheeler? Look in the mirror. Yeah, I've heard the "Wheeler's a slow starter" mantra. **** that. Points lost at the start of the season are no different than points lost during a playoff push. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. And you've been part of the problem since you arrived in Atlanta. Just another big talker, like Maurice. Get rid of this poser. I'm sick of him. :mad:
This is pure crap.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So much wrong with this post. Wheeler is a top 50 player in the league on a sweetheart contract. Yeah let's replace him. Maybe we can insert Petan and his mighty 3 career goals and 19 points in 85 games in his place. Wheeler has had back to back 70+ point seasons.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

Wheeler's exact quote was "there's going to be nights like this ... I've said it before, I'll say it again. You know, we know we're better than that and just ... we've got two days now to prepare for Friday's game."

Then a reporter asks "Blake, those bad habits ... I know you don't want it to happen but it does happen?" and Wheeler says "Uhhh, yeah, you know ... there's going to be nights like this and, you know, we've just got to get our quickness back up to where it was the last three games ..."

I found his tone of voice and demeanour to be rather in the nature of "it's no big deal, it's just one of those games". I wasn't a fan of the presser. Maybe that's part of the being a captain schtick, but where's the Wheeler of old who would be pissed off and say something politically incorrect but 100% true about the BS effort and execution put out by the team.

And as for "it goes without saying" re: the players, as others have pointed out, one would think Maurice's deficiencies would go without saying, but rather, it feels more like Maurice and certain players (Tanev, and to a lesser extent Lowry and Matthias) take plenty of heat for, inter alia, their lack of scoring, but every excuse in the book is afforded to most of the rest of the team especially the likes of Dano, Petan, Wheeler, and Trouba, who combined have one fewer goals than "Taneverscores".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad