Wheeler: "It's gotta be this year"

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/s...-year-no-more-excuses-for-jets-442280523.html

Lad on reddit made a quick summary:

Wheeler on expectations:
"It's gotta be this year, it just has to be...We have enough talent. There's no reason why we can't push this to the next level this year. It's going to be getting this group together and figuring out how we have to play to win hockey games."

On the addition of Matt Hendricks:
"It's going to mean a great deal to me to have another voice in there...We are a young team and that room can go quiet a little bit sometimes, so to have someone other than myself or Scheif or Buff step up and be a voice and lead by example on the ice, I think it's a great addition."

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
On the addition of Matt Hendricks:
"It's going to mean a great deal to me to have another voice in there...We are a young team and that room can go quiet a little bit sometimes, so to have someone other than myself or Scheif or Buff step up and be a voice and lead by example on the ice, I think it's a great addition."

please no.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I like Wheelers desire to win and his passion on the ice.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Agreed with Blake. He knows what he is talking about. Pate will lead us to the Stanley Cup and take the Art Ross trophy where it belongs to. Mark my words.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
He just said on the ice, that could be the practice ice or ice with the Moose :)

Haha one would hope so.

Either way, even Hendricks playing 82 games won't keep this team out of the playoffs. I like that the feeling in the room will be that there are no excuses. Playoffs are 100% expected, even in a tough division. Everyone should be held more accountable this year, including the coaches. In fact, with everything thats coming out right now, the quotes from the players and now the organization as a whole raising everyones expectations with the whole "Rise Together" campaign, PoMo must be sweating. Lot's of pressure coming this season for him.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
please no.

Literally worse than thorburn on ice lol.

The pro hockey player and captain disagrees with you

Yeah, they're never wrong.

[mod]

... You guys... my god :shakehead

1. The Captain gave an interview about next season. This interview is going to focus on the steps forward they made as an entire organization and team. That means the narrative is going to be "looking forward to what is ahead" so it's driven by positivity. Doing so is Wheeler's job. Coming out and saying "I don't think we need a 4th line guy that doesn't do much and on top of that could end up blocking a roster spot from a younger, more talented player" would NOT be doing his job. GET SOME PERSPECTIVE!

2. If you post with some perspective, you don't need to argue against each other which one of you has more hockey expertise compared to a NHL veteran player. Saves all of us time and nerves.

3. Wheeler mentioned that Hendricks could play a big part in bringing more veteran experience and working attitude day in and day out to the room. That's his argumentation on why the Hendrick's signing is useful. When the journalist asks you about that specific person, he only has two options: a) say something positive to back up your GMs decision or b) say something negative about it to criticise your GM, coach and said player. Option b) would be a very bad choice at this moment for plenty of reasons, so he goes with option a) as he should. Now what are your options in saying something positive about Matt Hendricks at that point? Say the only thing nobody can argue: He's a veteran player that bring in veteran attitude and what comes with it. He had ONE valid option to answer and he did so. He's not mentioning anything about Hendricks actually PLAYING. Yes, he said "(...) other than myself or Scheif or Buff step up and be a voice and lead by example on the ice, I think it's a great addition" but you do realize that the entire team AND coaching staff are ON THE ICE during training sessions, right? If you connect Wheeler's statement about Hendrick's leadership quality and vocal ways with the team, there is no reason to think Hendricks is expected to play much of a role outside of the training sessions.

Bottom line: Stop reading so much into scheduled interviews with the press.

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
[mod]

1. The Captain gave an interview about next season. This interview is going to focus on the steps forward they made as an entire organization and team. That means the narrative is going to be "looking forward to what is ahead" so it's driven by positivity. Doing so is Wheeler's job. Coming out and saying "I don't think we need a 4th line guy that doesn't do much and on top of that could end up blocking a roster spot from a younger, more talented player" would NOT be doing his job. GET SOME PERSPECTIVE!

2. If you post with some perspective, you don't need to argue against each other which one of you has more hockey expertise compared to a NHL veteran player. Saves all of us time and nerves.

3. Wheeler mentioned that Hendricks could play a big part in bringing more veteran experience and working attitude day in and day out to the room. That's his argumentation on why the Hendrick's signing is useful. When the journalist asks you about that specific person, he only has two options: a) say something positive to back up your GMs decision or b) say something negative about it to criticise your GM, coach and said player. Option b) would be a very bad choice at this moment for plenty of reasons, so he goes with option a) as he should. Now what are your options in saying something positive about Matt Hendricks at that point? Say the only thing nobody can argue: He's a veteran player that bring in veteran attitude and what comes with it. He had ONE valid option to answer and he did so. He's not mentioning anything about Hendricks actually PLAYING. Yes, he said "(...) other than myself or Scheif or Buff step up and be a voice and lead by example on the ice, I think it's a great addition" but you do realize that the entire team AND coaching staff are ON THE ICE during training sessions, right? If you connect Wheeler's statement about Hendrick's leadership quality and vocal ways with the team, there is no reason to think Hendricks is expected to play much of a role outside of the training sessions.

Thank you for the sanity and nice post!!

Glad Blake feels the same sense of urgency as HFBoards :laugh:. It's important for the team to get that 2014-15 feeling back right from camp forward. Goalies need to be part of the solution and we will be in good shape this season. It's time!

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
[mod]

Most of us know he has to say positive things about Hendricks, but we all still know hendricks is a terrible player, and I think that's what the complaining is about.

All I said was that Hendricks is literally worse than Thorburn, because he is.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Most of us know he has to say positive things about Hendricks, but we all still know hendricks is a terrible player, and I think that's what the complaining is about.

All I said was that Hendricks is literally worse than Thorburn, because he is.

A valid and fair point... but in the wrong thread. This one is the right thread to bash Matt Hendricks.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Haha one would hope so.

Either way, even Hendricks playing 82 games won't keep this team out of the playoffs. I like that the feeling in the room will be that there are no excuses. Playoffs are 100% expected, even in a tough division. Everyone should be held more accountable this year, including the coaches. In fact, with everything thats coming out right now, the quotes from the players and now the organization as a whole raising everyones expectations with the whole "Rise Together" campaign, PoMo must be sweating. Lot's of pressure coming this season for him.

Actually he is probably relishing the opportunity raised expectations offer. His view and the team's view of his capabilities as coach is not necessarily the same view held by a segment of a fan forum posters. Mo has towed the company line with an influx a of youth over the last couple seasons. While very talented these players will all become stronger and better as they move towards their primes. Getting a NHL starter and LHD gives him more to work with. Wheeler's "it has to be now" message is likely shared by everyone in the room including the coach.

Wheeler is doing his part to set the tone. I expect continuing win now messages from the team including from the GM and coach. Fans have been patient but expect some success this season. IMO from day 1 the organization is at the point where they need to raise expectations to meet fan expectations. Trying to lower the heat wouldn't work and would actually start frustrating fans that have never given up hope or wavered from their support.

If things don't work out let the chips fall where they may, but now is the time to start throwing our full weight behind winning.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Actually he is probably relishing the opportunity raised expectations offer. His view and the team's view of his capabilities as coach is not necessarily the same view held by a segment of a fan forum posters. Mo has towed the company line with an influx a of youth over the last couple seasons. While very talented these players will all become stronger and better as they move towards their primes. Getting a NHL starter and LHD gives him more to work with. Wheeler's "it has to be now" message is likely shared by everyone in the room including the coach.

Wheeler is doing his part to set the tone. I expect continuing win now messages from the team including from the GM and coach. Fans have been patient but expect some success this season. IMO from day 1 the organization is at the point where they need to raise expectations to meet fan expectations. Trying to lower the heat wouldn't work and would actually start frustrating fans that have never given up hope or wavered from their support.

If things don't work out let the chips fall where they may, but now is the time to start throwing our full weight behind winning.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Moe if he's not relishing the opportunity to try to win with the talent we have assembled he's in the wrong line of work.

As mentioned in the other thread I'm glad to see that everyone in the org seems to be on the same page and is ready to make hay. Obviously talk is just talk but I fully expect a different team this season.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Wheeler is awesome.
He's part of the solution not the problem.
Sounds like Wheels knows what HF knows , it's time and no excuses.
Literally coaching is the only weakness IMO going into the season.
The Hendricks thing is PC what else would he say and besides it's a done deal I want whoever suits up to do well

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
[mod]

when he says "in the room" what do you think he is talking about. practice at the ice plex. he said "we have a lot of young players that get quit". do you of any players that get quit at practice, at the ice plex. he is talking about games. obviously. i don't think he could be any more clearer on if he thinks Hendricks will be on the team. you are kidding yourself if you think veterans care about the development of b prospects. there is no reading between the lines here. he pretty straight forward. nice spin though. especially the part about putting something he never said in quotations.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
when he says "in the room" what do you think he is talking about. practice at the ice plex. he said "we have a lot of young players that get quit". do you of any players that get quit at practice, at the ice plex. he is talking about games. obviously. i don't think he could be any more clearer on if he thinks Hendricks will be on the team. you are kidding yourself if you think veterans care about the development of b prospects. there is no reading between the lines here. he pretty straight forward. nice spin though. especially the part about putting something he never said in quotations.

It's really unfortunate that players know, and decide, which players will make the team :rolleyes:

Honestly how else do you expect him to answer that question?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Which player could you ask him about and get a negative answer or say he's probably not going to make the team?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Lol, it's the only positive thing Wheeler could think of to say. It's not like he could say he's looking forward to Hendricks awesome offensive ability.

Veterans care about guys who can help them win more games, if Wheeler thinks Matt ****ing Hendricks will do that over the likes of Dano and Petan, god ****ing help us.

Somehow I don't think he does though, Blake seems a little brighter than that.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Lol, it's the only positive thing Wheeler could think of to say. It's not like he could say he's looking forward to Hendricks awesome offensive ability.

Veterans care about guys who can help them win more games, if Wheeler thinks Matt ****ing Hendricks will do that over the likes of Dano and Petan, god ****ing help us.

Somehow I don't think he does though, Blake seems a little brighter than that.

wheeler knows how to give an interview. he could have said a lot of positive things about Hendricks without putting him in the locker room during games.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

are you serious? :laugh:

8ibKxgG.png

:laugh: At the same time YOU are quoting something he never said :laugh:

he said "we have a lot of young players that get quit"

[mod]

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->