What's the worst word/saying on this site

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
"Narrative"

It gets used so often because everyone thinks it makes them sound smarter, when I guarantee nobody uses it outside of HFB. You're just a bunch of keyboard warriors, NOT investigative journalists.

Reactions: ECBBW and iSophagus

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I hate when people say a young player "needs to grow into his body", like somehow his body and him are two different things?? I guess it doesn't sound clever enough to just say, "he needs to get bigger/stronger/more coordinated/etc".

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
"Narrative"

It gets used so often because everyone thinks it makes them sound smarter, when I guarantee nobody uses it outside of HFB. You're just a bunch of keyboard warriors, NOT investigative journalists.

People actually use this word all over the place. But it's for the same reason, to sound smart. It's just a synonym for "argument" or "viewpoint", but people use it to make the other person seem like they have some evil agenda.

My least favourite thing to read on this site is the recurring spelling mistakes that change the meaning. Like "then" vs "than" or when people type "dominate" instead of "dominant." I'm just super picky, though, I guess.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Generational

EDIT - I also hate "player A has a higher ceiling but player b is more likely to hit his"

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Watching posters calling a player a "Stud" bugs the hell out of me. Imagine if posters said that to the player's face? Cringe worthy.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
People actually use this word all over the place. But it's for the same reason, to sound smart. It's just a synonym for "argument" or "viewpoint", but people use it to make the other person seem like they have some evil agenda.

My least favourite thing to read on this site is the recurring spelling mistakes that change the meaning. Like "then" vs "than" or when people type "dominate" instead of "dominant." I'm just super picky, though, I guess.
I've always thought that narrative was used properly for the most part. Narrative being an idea.

For example if I thought so and so was a bad teammate, I would create or emphasize things to support this narrative.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Pure goal scorer bugs the hell out of me. What does that even mean? Whenever I see it, I read it as "guy who can score goals and does literally nothing else".

nnynetpotato

Sep 9, 2008
It more means the guy can score off the rush or from a quick setup as opposed to having to crash the net or get into dirty areas to score.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
I remember a few threads this past year in the main boards with the title "X is here to burn down your village!". It's the less used alternative of "X is roaring back!". That takes my vote for the worst saying on this site.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Book it.

Like, really? We are going to make a bet based on your comment? Beyond dumb.

Apple.

What's wrong with the word assist? Like in basketball, dime is as dumb as apple. Stop trying to be cool. You're doing the opposite.

Reactions: iamjs and NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad