What's the worst word/saying on this site

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
And generational. When I hear generational I expect to look at the scoring leaders and see someone miles ahead of anyone else.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
"In today's hockey..." Everytime somebody starts a sentence like that I know im in for some, often rather ill informed, opinion stated as truth.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
joke

I hate all of the defaming uses it is usually used, like: "and that's why this league is a joke" "the NHL reffing is a joke" etc.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
He's a horse.

An insult in most languages, I believe, but for some reason, it's a compliment in Canadian hockey English. :boredom:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
"but why?"

"Why though?"

"Y?"

Those when there is nothing else accompanying it. I see that a ton. Sometimes several in the same thread.

It really adds nothing. I really don't care you are baffled or perplexed, if that is your only comment. Add something to it.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The idea that "pace" is the same as actual points. Especially prorating points over large gaps or to compare to a player who actually played those games.

Hockey is gruelling and scoring is non-linear.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
You do realize that this is probably more related to where a person is from and what their native language is than an attempt to "sound cultured" yes? Speech patterns and word usage tends to be a regional thing much like pronunciation and accents.
I'm not talking about the people who are from areas where that's the normal dialect, I know that's normal in some areas. I'm talking about like, people who are from Massachusetts.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
throwing in analytics with pace. give me a break. I dont live in a "what if" world.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's not a word or a saying, but every there's nothing more painful to me then when people make incredibly lame "jokes" and then follow it up with this: :sarcasm:

I have truly never seen a good post on here that includes that emoji.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
The lack of understanding of the term '.500'

With the current points system and the "extra ('loser') point" (see above...) some people claim that if a team is, say, 20-14-6 that they should be looked at as .500. In actuality, the term means, and originated, from points percentage. It means that a team has collected half of the points available to them thus far in a season. Hence talking it to three decimal points, as is often necessary with a percentage like that. If it were strictly showing what percentage of games a team had won, wouldn't '.50%' team suffice? "Fifty team" doesn't sound as good as "Five Hundred team", however.

For example:
A team that is 20-20-3 is a .500 team. They have collected 43 points in 43 games (a potential for 86 points). Half the available points.
A team that is 20-16-7 is an above .500 team. They are a .546 team to be exact. This is despite having only won 20 of their 23 games (46.5%).

You may not agree with it, but it is what the term .500 means.

Given that when this term would have originated, win % and points % were likely identical, I'm going to need a source on one being actually official like you claim. Your explanation about the decimal places is sheer nonsense as well, as other winning percentages could require 3 decimal places as well.

Feb 24, 2017
I have another one. When someone wants to belittle someone else and calls their idea or sentiment “cute”.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Given that when this term would have originated, win % and points % were likely identical, I'm going to need a source on one being actually official like you claim. Your explanation about the decimal places is sheer nonsense as well, as other winning percentages could require 3 decimal places as well.

When this term originated the NHL tallied wins, losses, and ties. You could achieve points by either winning or tying a game. So, no, winning % and points % were not identical.

In those days, if a team had 20 wins, 20 losses, and 5 ties, they were called a .500 team (as they were, having achieved half of the points available to them), despite winning less than half of their games and having a winning % of less than .500.

Seeing as this term originated when the NHL was a win-loss-tie league and teams with equal amounts of wins and losses (regardless of number of ties) were regarded as .500, I think that's pretty conclusive evidence that the term refers to pts %, not winning %.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00