OT: Whatcha Drinkin' Part II: The Sequel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I really liked a lot of the beers I tried in London. They are big into red ales, brown ales, and stouts. Definitely a difference from the American beer scene, which is MUCH more hoppy.

I prefer American beers to be honest. The warm ale thing is weird for me as well :laugh:

Me too. I like big hoppy brews. Also there's something about the typical English yeast profile that I'm not very fond of. They have good beers, but for my taste, 'Murica and it's not even close.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just had some mulled wine for the first time. It wasn't bad, the recipe can use some tweaking (1st attempt at making it). It smells great when cooking (mulling I guess would be the correct word?)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Banshee Cutter by Insight is my new favorite beer. It's a golden coffee, which I've never seen before. Love it.

ctyp_insight-banshee-cutter.jpg

Reactions: gphr513

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
My current fridge and cabinet linup:

BEER

Belhaven Scottish Stout
Murphy's Irish Stout
Guiness Stout
Ballast Point Victory At Sea Porter
Golden Road Sunset Coffee Stout
Belching Beaver Nitro Milk Stout
Ninkasi Vanilla Oatmeal Stout
Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout
Samuel Adams Nitro Coffee Stout
New Holland Dragons Milk Bourbon Stout
Bellevue Scotch Ale
No-Li Big Juicy IPA
Fort George The Optimist IPA
Zywiec Lager
Lomza Lager
Browar Witnica Black Boss Porter
Lev Dark
Perla Lager
Ayinger Octoberfest
Kopernik Lager

SPIRITS

Johnnie Walker Black Label
Monkey Shoulder Blended Scotch
John F. Fitzgerald Larceny Bourbon
American Tin Cup American Whiskey
Belvedere Vodka
Zubrowvka Vodka

Na zdrowie!

Last edited:
Reactions: FVM

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
My current fridge and cabinet linup:

BEER

Belhaven Scottish Stout
Murphy's Irish Stout
Guiness Stout
Ballast Point Victory At Sea Porter
Golden Road Sunset Coffee Stout
Belching Beaver Nitro Milk Stout
Ninkasi Vanilla Oatmeal Stout
Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout
Samuel Adams Nitro Coffee Stout
New Holland Dragons Milk Bourbon Stout
Bellevue Scotch Ale
No-Li Big Juicy IPA
Fort George The Optimist IPA
Zywiec Lager
Lomza Lager
Browar Witnica Black Boss Porter
Lev Dark
Perla Lager
Ayinger Octoberfest
Kopernik Lager

SPIRITS

Johnnie Walker Black Label
John F. Fitzgerald Larceny Bourbon
American Tin Cup American Whiskey
Belvedere Vodka
Zubrowvka Vodka

Na zdrowie!
What's the Pacific NW craft beer scene like? Quite a few on that list that I haven't heard of, any good ones available nationally?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
What's the Pacific NW craft beer scene like? Quite a few on that list that I haven't heard of, any good ones available nationally?

It's really quite good. The whole west coast has a great beer scene- it's a lot bigger than back home in MN BUT...I don't get half the Stout, Ales, Porters, etc that I get back home. Or at least the sort of quality that I find there. There are so many IPA and PA's here that I have become overrun on them and no longer want them much anymore unless it's a hot day. If that's your thing then boy you won't find a better place for beer. A lot of great Lagers though.

What is fun about Seattle proper and it's immediate neighborhoods is that you can kind of bike around and drink really easily, even year round. Hell, in the Fremont and Ballard area alone there are probably 12 breweries to walk around to over a afternoon that all have food trucks and family/dog friendly atmospheres.

EDIT: I was thinking about it, and there are obviously lots of kinds of beers here. The thing is that there is a lot of experimentation, which I believes comes as a result of a certain determination for distinction going on between all 900+ breweries on the Coast. Rogue alone has some of the strangest and coolest seasonal beer lists around. But there are lots of seasonal (especially around the holidays) beers that have all kinds of non-beer-ish items in them.

But there are breweries everywhere out here. There's around 200 breweries in WA and another 200 in OR..and of course there are more than 500 in California. So the craft scene is very large.

Last edited:

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
It's really quite good. The whole west coast has a great beer scene- it's a lot bigger than back home in MN BUT...I don't get half the Stout, Ales, Porters, etc that I get back home. Or at least the sort of quality that I find there. There are so many IPA and PA's here that I have become overrun on them and no longer want them much anymore unless it's a hot day. If that's your thing then boy you won't find a better place for beer. A lot of great Lagers though.

What is fun about Seattle proper and it's immediate neighborhoods is that you can kind of bike around and drink really easily, even year round. Hell, in the Fremont and Ballard area alone there are probably 12 breweries to walk around to over a afternoon that all have food trucks and family/dog friendly atmospheres.

EDIT: I was thinking about it, and there are obviously lots of kinds of beers here. The thing is that there is a lot of experimentation, which I believes comes as a result of a certain determination for distinction going on between all 900+ breweries on the Coast. Rogue alone has some of the strangest and coolest seasonal beer lists around. But there are lots of seasonal (especially around the holidays) beers that have all kinds of non-beer-ish items in them.

But there are breweries everywhere out here. There's around 200 breweries in WA and another 200 in OR..and of course there are more than 500 in California. So the craft scene is very large.

I need a vacation there.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Updating that long list^ adding in:

Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet DIPA
Alaskan Spruce IPA

Of course I ranted a bit earlier saying how sick of IPA's I was but I was interested to know what these two dependable breweries came up with for these seasonal's.

Lastly, Oscar Blue's Old Chub. Probably my favorite Scotch Ale on the market.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Lastly, Oscar Blue's Old Chub. Probably my favorite Scotch Ale on the market.

It's one of the best, and year-round. Bell's Christmas ale this year was an excellent scotch ale too. Favorite for me is Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale, but that might be cheating.

I just got a sixer of this last weekend. I'll try anything that Sierra Nevada makes. This one certainly did not disappoint.

The problem is that they make so much to try. Hop Bullet is good (and HyVee had it for 6.99, only helps its case), wasn't as big a fan of Hazy Little Thing. Think they've got at least one IPA sampler out right now full of exclusives too.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Haven't found it in stores for a couple years now, but did finally find Schell's cave aged barrel aged lager on top. Man, what a thing of beauty.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Just noticed that I'm a fan of modern craft ales, such as West Coast style and things. But not fan of hipster pubs we have here. Uncomfortable aquariums, too tightly packed, bad stools and wobbly tables, shitty music playing too loud.

Old fart between the generations I think.

#kalsarikännit

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Hooey. I'M FULL OF IT.

It's pretty good stuff!

Neat, Firestone Walker starts distributing to MN in mid-April. "The initial featured Firestone beers in both states will be Firestone Lager, Luponic Distortion, Nitro Merlin Milk Stout, Pivo, Union Jack, Easy Jack and Wookus."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad