OT: Whatcha Drinkin' Part II: The Sequel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I will likely be laughed down on this thread, with all the hot new it beers out there, but gimme Furious.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I will likely be laughed down on this thread, with all the hot new it beers out there, but gimme Furious.

Furious is always a solid beer. It's one of my fallback options if I have to make a quick decision, or can't find anything new that I want to try. Ol' reliable :nod:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
You have to tell everything about your adventures in Minnesota. We want details.

So jealous. Enjoy your time, man!

St Paul is beautiful, very different from the US cities I've been before. A lot still to see and do. Tomorrow we'll visit Minneapolis.

Also, I haven't had a bad Surly beer so far. Local beer selection is amazing.

Reactions: W75 and FVM

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Was in Minnesota last weekend and tried some local stuff from Tin Whiskers and Oliphant. Both had some really tasty offerings. I guess it makes sense that one of the few states that still has decent water also has good breweries.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Surly Furious is also ****ing amazing.

Another good place to try in St. Paul is Bad Weather...cool brewery just down the street from the X a bit (south on 7th St.). Really fun to go to in the Summer (not helpful I know).

Another place I've heard a ton of but haven't been able to get to yet is Barrel Theory. That's in Lowertown actually...somewhere I really need to get to soon.

Reactions: Lapa

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Currently enjoying my favorite IPA, the O'Dell IPA.

On tap at World of Beers off 5th and Sibley, first time here. There is something like 300+ beers here or some nonsense. And Lapa, if you're looking for more local options, they have an entire fridge dedicated to just MN beer. If you see a Fulton 300, get it, btw

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I am currently drinking Fulton Standard.

It's also very good

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
#lapasbeerGDT

Fulton Blonde was excellent. Smooth, easy to drink.

Ballast Point Grapefruit IPA is fantastic. Even better than the Surlies I've had.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
7021647_1.jpg

Send help

Reactions: FVM

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
That reminds me, I meant to post in here about my beer/scotch experience in London and Scotland.

The cask ales, I just can't do it.... They're fine, I had probably 5 or 6 on the whole trip, but the near room temperature thing just is odd to me. I gotta have a cold beer. (There are rare exceptions like some barrel aged imperial stouts, like Rum King, where I like them better as they warm up)

I really liked a lot of the beers I tried in London. They are big into red ales, brown ales, and stouts. Definitely a difference from the American beer scene, which is MUCH more hoppy.

Also, we did a Scotch tour in Edinburgh which was really cool. Got to learn about the 5 different types of Scotch, where they come from, and got to sample 3 of them! I'm definitely not a Scotch connoisseur, but I liked the ones I tried. Pretty much every bar we went to in Edinburgh had a whisky list about a mile long. (we were corrected that it is spelled 'whisky' in Scotland, NOT 'whiskey'... lol)

The place we did the tour had the largest Scotch collection in the world. They had one bottle on sale for £3,200. We were joking that we should buy the bottle, and then ask if they had any Sprite for a mixer. :laugh:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
That reminds me, I meant to post in here about my beer/scotch experience in London and Scotland.

The cask ales, I just can't do it.... They're fine, I had probably 5 or 6 on the whole trip, but the near room temperature thing just is odd to me. I gotta have a cold beer. (There are rare exceptions like some barrel aged imperial stouts, like Rum King, where I like them better as they warm up)

I really liked a lot of the beers I tried in London. They are big into red ales, brown ales, and stouts. Definitely a difference from the American beer scene, which is MUCH more hoppy.

Also, we did a Scotch tour in Edinburgh which was really cool. Got to learn about the 5 different types of Scotch, where they come from, and got to sample 3 of them! I'm definitely not a Scotch connoisseur, but I liked the ones I tried. Pretty much every bar we went to in Edinburgh had a whisky list about a mile long. (we were corrected that it is spelled 'whisky' in Scotland, NOT 'whiskey'... lol)

The place we did the tour had the largest Scotch collection in the world. They had one bottle on sale for £3,200. We were joking that we should buy the bottle, and then ask if they had any Sprite for a mixer. :laugh:

I prefer American beers to be honest. The warm ale thing is weird for me as well :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad