What would it take to retain JVR?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Wouldn't give him more than $5 mil and wouldn't give him more than 3 years. I like the guy but he's as good as gone

member 147413

If management truly has no plans of keeping JvR, they should have traded him for assets before this!

Terrible asset management to let a player, that has some value, just walk for no return at all!

JMHO.
“Hey guys, so I know you’ve worked hard all year and we’re Top 4 in the league, but I want another 1st round pick because we don’t think you guys are good enough to win. I guess it kind of makes your job harder, but don’t worry, 4 years from now, we might have drafted a player who can help you out. So just don’t worry about working hard until 4 years from now.”

I really hate the hypocrisy of this fanbase.

“I want to win the cup, but only if we’re 1st in the league, all four lines score 100 goals and we have 6 first pairing dmen”.

member 147413

Part of building a winning culture is respecting your players and the work they put in.

It’s also building the expectation of winning, by trading away 30 goal scorers for futures, you’re taking away a bit of that expectation.

Yes, asset management is important, but you have to do it at the right times.

I’m sure people will say “Johnsson can take his spot, may not score as much but he’s responsible defensively and can PK”. I love Jonhsson, but this is a 5’10 23 year old first time PPG player in the AHL, that we’re going to throw into the lineup of a Top 4 team playoff contender? It just doesn’t make f***ing sense.

It’s such a loser mentality to trade away UFA’s because we don’t think we’re good enough. Then some of you will argue to buy and spend assets if we don’t sell? We’ve got a pretty big window here, stay the course, be patient.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
“Hey guys, so I know you’ve worked hard all year and we’re Top 4 in the league, but I want another 1st round pick because we don’t think you guys are good enough to win. I guess it kind of makes your job harder, but don’t worry, 4 years from now, we might have drafted a player who can help you out. So just don’t worry about working hard until 4 years from now.”

“I want to win the cup, but only if we’re 1st in the league, all four lines score 100 goals and we have 6 first pairing dmen”.
Where the heck did I say in my post that I didn't want them to win a Cup now?

Where the hell did I say in my post that I want them to be 1st overall in the League before they win the Cup?

Where the f*** did I say in my post that we had to have an entire team of 100 goal scoring forwards and 1st pairing D-men before we win the Cup?

All I said is that I would have liked management to have traded JvR for assets, if they had no desire to re-sign him! What I didn't say, and, maybe I should have, is that I wanted the trading of JvR to turn into immediate help on D for the upcoming playoffs, and, assets for the future!

I want our Leafs to win the Cup ASAP, and, I want them to remain competitive for the long run, maybe, just maybe, winning multiple Cups in the next few years!

To remain competitive, an organization has to maximize the use of it's assets! Letting players, with higher trade values, just walk in free agency, is not effective asset management IMHO.

Get real!

Reactions: dsred and Sonny21

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Or hey guys we acquired a quality piece with that extra 1st round pick (a la Andersen trade) that's really going to help us long term after Bozak,JVR,Komarov,Plekanec all walk for nothing.
But Lou, why did you let them all walk for nothing when we were on a roll? Who's replacing them? That's a big chunk of the team we know gone.
Sorry, you guys should have won it now.
You can spin it anyway you like.
Bottom line this is where we are.
Not everyone will be happy with the asset management.
But every decision has consequences.
Let's watch the playoffs and determine if it was worth the price.
Timing needs to equal price.
Was it time to keep JVR? Remains to be seen. I don't like it but I accepted it.
Was it time to compound that with a Plekanec trade? I absolutely think not. We should have done nothing in the midst of our doing nothing. It would not have diminished everything that the players here all year fought for. Just a waste of a 2nd soon to be gone.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
the problem with jvr is he doesnt play with matthews and dosnt mesh with kadri so he is basically a 3rd line winger. we cannot lock up a 3rd line winger with no upward or downward mobility for term or big money.

hyman matthews nylander
marleau kadri marner
leivo xxxxxx kapanen
komorov xxxxxx brown

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
the problem with jvr is he doesnt play with matthews and dosnt mesh with kadri so he is basically a 3rd line winger. we cannot lock up a 3rd line winger with no upward or downward mobility for term or big money.

hyman matthews nylander
marleau kadri marner
leivo xxxxxx kapanen
komorov xxxxxx brown
Well that's the thing.
If you acquired a longer term piece in the summer for a JVR trade, you could have moved Marner or maybe that piece to play with Matthews on the wing. Perhaps the other piece could have played with Kadri as well. Then Willy could have played C all year and not needed to spend assets on Plekanec. But now if Willy stays at wing, you've moved assets to address no long term issues. Now we're looking at 3C and 4C for next year along with the D shoring we are still looking for.
Ok, let's wait and see the master plan because as of now, and with the exception of a long playoff run, im not thrilled with it.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Where the hell did I say in my post that I want them to be 1st overall in the League before they win the Cup?

Where the **** did I say in my post that we had to have an entire team of 100 goal scoring forwards and 1st pairing D-men before we win the Cup?

All I said is that I would have liked management to have traded JvR for assets, if they had no desire to re-sign him! What I didn't say, and, maybe I should have, is that I wanted the trading of JvR to turn into immediate help on D for the upcoming playoffs, and, assets for the future!

I want our Leafs to win the Cup ASAP, and, I want them to remain competitive for the long run, maybe, just maybe, winning multiple Cups in the next few years!

To remain competitive, an organization has to maximize the use of it's assets! Letting players, with higher trade values, just walk in free agency, is not effective asset management IMHO.

Get real!
Trading JVR this trade deadline would have hurt our development more then help it with a draft pick or two. Our team can compete now and to trade away any of our UFA players would sent a message to them that we can not complete and we do not believe in you.

We have lots of assets that we can and will move to get the pieces we need along with keeping our picks. Right now we have an abundance of wingers who can or will be good NHL players. With every up grade in position we gain assets to sell to keep our cupboards stocked until it is time to empty them to keep giving out team a chance to win its last game of the playoffs.

Reactions: Loosie and Mork

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Wish we could sign JVR to the Marleau contract. But he'll want more term.

I'll be sad to see him go and know we'll miss him more than many care to realize.

member 147413

Where the **** did I say in my post that we had to have an entire team of 100 goal scoring forwards and 1st pairing D-men before we win the Cup?

Get real!
I’ll admit, I had a fair amount of logical fallacies in my post, it was merely to get a point across.

JVR seems to fit in the locker room well, if it’s a lateral value move for an upgrade on D mid season, that affects chemistry. It’s also difficult to make trades based on what we think is fair value.

I’m sure if we could have moved JVR and turned those same assets into a D upgrade that’s not injured, (McDonagh/Karlsson) we would have, but that expectation is asinine.

So ultimately it likely would have came down to us being able to get good value for JVR at the deadline, at the expense of trading some of our own futures on top of the acquired ones for McDonagh, something management is clearly not interested in (trading our own futures). We walk out with no D upgrade, but futures for JVR while downgrading our current roster or we don’t change our roster because it’s hard to make 3+ big trades on deadline day.

It’s pretty easy with hindsight to say

JVR for 1st + Fabbro
Bozak for 2nd + 3rd
1st + 2nd (cup win condition to 1st) + Liljegren + Bracco + Brown for McDonagh + Miller
3rd for Maroon

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
It will suck to lose JVR for nothing, he is a 30 goal a year winger, and a awesome net front presence but his Back checking and any compete level in the D-zone is laughable, He will walk and get his 30 goals elsewhere, just wondering what will be available this summer if none of the marlies are ready?

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Would it be unethical to sign him for 6x6 years and then trade him to a team for futures when we need to sign Matthews and marner

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Well, let's hope JvR scores the Stanley Cup winning goal as his departing gift!

If management truly believes that this team, this season, is ready to make a playoff march to the Stanley Cup finals, then, why oh why did they do NOTHING to shore up a weak defense?

Sure the prices may have been high, but, if this team is really on the verge of Stanley Cup greatness, then, I would have thought an upgrade on defense should have been a priority!

I guess Polak and Carrick will both do their very best impersonations of Orr and Bourque!
They just have to win a round or two.

member 147413

Would it be unethical to sign him for 6x6 years and then trade him to a team for futures when we need to sign Matthews and marner
Good luck signing any future FA’s without a full NMC.

Reactions: Dzonna

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
JVR has a unique skill set that should allow him to be a productive player for many years. I would strongly consider re-signing him if the AAV and term are reasonable.
Too many holes in his game. He isn't a complete player.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If management truly has no plans of keeping JvR, they should have traded him for assets before this!

Terrible asset management to let a player, that has some value, just walk for no return at all!

JMHO.

Quick, name a Stanley Cup contender who traded their pending free agents just because? Other than the tire fire that is St. Louis....

member 147413

Eh, I tend to feel the same way a lot of the time about JVR.

Players do grow as they mature, maybe he develops that aspect under Babcock, not a risk I want to take, but it’s possible.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I recognize that but nonetheless, it will be very difficult to replace his consistent production and the added dimension he brings to our offense.

I have resigned myself to the probability that he's going to walk, but it's going to be felt more than some realize.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Dave Poulin at TSN called him that, and they ran with that term on the quiz master the next day, so it became something.

The Leafs have never called him that.

You're correct. Seems that it only (some) Leaf fans want to trade all their upcoming UFAs cause they aren't winning the Cup this year. The idea is still to give your team hope and give your young players the Cup experience for hopefully greater success in a few years.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Get real!
Explain why you would intentionally weaken the team at the deadline for a few lottery tickets, and what type of message does that send to the rest of the team?

What is the asset cost lost of possibly going on a run in the spring?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Matthews, Marner, Nylander and the rest of this young team should never, ever be given any doubt that this management team is not serious about winning! Trading away UFAs for picks when we have a chance to win the Cup is a defeatist mentality.

Last edited:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
after tavares, jvr is basically as good as any other forward left to give you offense...but theres a big summer free agent year after this summer with tons of great players available in 2019 so i really wanna save cap for that and only try for 1 year deals in thornton or the sedins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad