What would it take to retain JVR?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
he's toast, you don't call one of your players a "own rental" if there was a chance of him being back.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Opportunity cost. Re-signing JvR takes us out of the convo on guys like Tavares, Doughty, etc.
Yeah, I've set my sights higher for the time being - If we swing and miss at guys like Tavares/Carlson/Thornton/Kovalchuk, etc., I wouldn't mind revisiting JVR, if he's willing to sign cheap.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Why would you want to weaken the team for the Playoffs? With that reasoning ALL teams would be sellers at the trade deadline. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup.. not asset management. I think some of you forget that some times.

is the goal to win the cup this year, or continuing to build a dynasty? are we still in the rebuilding stage or finished? I think we are still in the rebuilding stage and are building on making the playoffs last year.

you might think that the rebuild is finished and this is the year for the cup run, and i'm fine if you disagree with me. but we aren't in the rebuilding stage and gunning for the cup as true contenders at the same time. that was burke's mistake.

however, even if this is the year, we aren't losing by replacing him with kapanen, who is better 2 way imo., and bringing up johnsson. jvr is already playing 3rd line min and pp specialty min.

replacing bozak isn't a step backwards either; we lose his faceoff and shootout ability, but we also lose his garbage d zone coverage and play which can cost us games. marleau is net neutral imo, and nylander is better than bozak imo in the minutes he's played. this is assuming am is in the playoffs.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
JVR has a unique skill set that should allow him to be a productive player for many years. I would strongly consider re-signing him if the AAV and term are reasonable.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
JVR has a unique skill set that should allow him to be a productive player for many years. I would strongly consider re-signing him if the AAV and term are reasonable.
It's just hard to sign him for 8 years for that one thing.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Everyone saw him coast/out muscled on the Debrusk goal?

Thats why he wont be re-signed. Is he even a plus player? No he gives up more goals than he gets 5 on 5.

Reactions: Al14 and Mork

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
is the goal to win the cup this year, or continuing to build a dynasty? are we still in the rebuilding stage or finished? I think we are still in the rebuilding stage and are building on making the playoffs last year.

you might think that the rebuild is finished and this is the year for the cup run, and i'm fine if you disagree with me. but we aren't in the rebuilding stage and gunning for the cup as true contenders at the same time. that was burke's mistake.

however, even if this is the year, we aren't losing by replacing him with kapanen, who is better 2 way imo., and bringing up johnsson. jvr is already playing 3rd line min and pp specialty min.

replacing bozak isn't a step backwards either; we lose his faceoff and shootout ability, but we also lose his garbage d zone coverage and play which can cost us games. marleau is net neutral imo, and nylander is better than bozak imo in the minutes he's played. this is assuming am is in the playoffs.

We are not "gunning for the cup" when all we did is trade a 2nd and some depth prospects at the deadline. Gunning would be giving up first rounders or top prospects.

However, we currently sit at 4th in the entire league so what kind of message does it send to our young team that despite accomplishing that, we are going to give up and trade away guys? We're not cup favourites but it's a tight league and if Anderson stands on his head we have a shot at it.

Also, if we win a series or two it's valuable experience for the young guys.

I think you greatly undervalue what JVR brings to the team in terms of consistent goal scoring.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Teams have gotten a little bit smarter on the UFA market I’d say he probably gets in the range of 6×6/7.

However, I do not believe he will be a leaf next season. Babcock has cut down his usage and he is already incredibly sheltered (not a player s team invests 6ish million on). Mirtle has also said that there have currently been no contract talks between his agent and the Leafs.

Reactions: Mork

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You realize it's cap league. So if Matthews. Marner and Nylander all agree to sign for 2m, I'm happy with resigning JVR,
Reality is, only so much money and JVR isn't going to be a Leaf next year.

Reactions: dsred and Mork

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
We are not "gunning for the cup" when all we did is trade a 2nd and some depth prospects at the deadline. Gunning would be giving up first rounders or top prospects.

However, we currently sit at 4th in the entire league so what kind of message does it send to our young team that despite accomplishing that, we are going to give up and trade away guys? We're not cup favourites but it's a tight league and if Anderson stands on his head we have a shot at it.

Also, if we win a series or two it's valuable experience for the young guys.

I think you greatly undervalue what JVR brings to the team in terms of consistent goal scoring.
Holding onto JVR, Bozak, Komarov, etc with expiring contracts so that they may walk at the end of the season, is effectively giving up assets to gun for the Cup now. Unless you intend to resign them, you've missed out on any number of picks, prospects, or roster players with a future with the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonny21

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
A coach who doesn’t care about effort or defense.

Babcock is under contract, which means JVR won’t be. Rel gud pro, rel nice man, but he’s not in the plans.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Yeah, I've set my sights higher for the time being - If we swing and miss at guys like Tavares/Carlson/Thornton/Kovalchuk, etc., I wouldn't mind revisiting JVR, if he's willing to sign cheap.

Pretty doubtful he waits around sitting on his hands while we talk to several other options.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Pretty doubtful he waits around sitting on his hands while we talk to several other options.
Well, no, I imagine he's probably vacationing during the discussion period leading up to July 1st. He's a millionaire, no need to be bored in the summer.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Well, let's hope JvR scores the Stanley Cup winning goal as his departing gift!

If management truly believes that this team, this season, is ready to make a playoff march to the Stanley Cup finals, then, why oh why did they do NOTHING to shore up a weak defense?

Sure the prices may have been high, but, if this team is really on the verge of Stanley Cup greatness, then, I would have thought an upgrade on defense should have been a priority!

I guess Polak and Carrick will both do their very best impersonations of Orr and Bourque!

Weak D got us to 4th overall. Take it down a notch

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
7x7 + another 4-5 minutes of TOI/night

He's not back. The Leafs barely use him, and he doesn't have a great 2-way game on a team that is already pretty average defensively.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Teams have gotten a little bit smarter on the UFA market I’d say he probably gets in the range of 6×6/7.

However, I do not believe he will be a leaf next season. Babcock has cut down his usage and he is already incredibly sheltered (not a player s team invests 6ish million on). Mirtle has also said that there have currently been no contract talks between his agent and the Leafs.

That is probably the key. A chimp could see that he doesn't mesh with the teams current needs, or address their real weaknesses. As a trigger man on the top line of a strong offense, I think he can get 70pts a year. The Leafs don't need him for that. Tough luck for him that Marner and Nylander came along but there it is. Even Babs realizes it:) and you know he has an eclectic taste in who he uses. A lw in LA, Edm or Nashvile and he would be getting the use that he best deserves.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad