What would it take to retain JVR?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So?

Are the Blues better off with nobody? Or with Brayden Schenn in his prime moving forward? They knew they were losing their man, and so they flipped him and eventually addressed a position of weakness.

Sorry- but if you don't view that as good asset management, then there's not much discussion to be had.

Both Mirtle and Friedman suggested Liljegren or Dermott needed to be in any potential McDonagh package - that's why the Leafs backed out. Tampa could make that deal because they have a stockpile of assets after some smart asset management over the past 4 years.
Took a team that was a serious contender last year and made it into a non playoff team this year. How in anyway is that good management, or good asset management? They may have been better off with nothing. But we will never know. The only thing we know is that they torpedoed their team 2 seasons in a row in the name of asset management. The Blues are a shining example of what every team that worries about asset management (like certain fans do) over winning will look like.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
But now Schenn is upset that Statsny was traded away.

My response may have been a bit harsh, however now is not the time to sell on JVR. This just happens when your team is good and your UFAs are good as well. You will not always be able to recuperate on all expiring contracts.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Took a team that was a serious contender last year and made it into a non playoff team this year. How in anyway is that good management, or good asset management? They may have been better off with nothing. But we will never know. The only thing we know is that they torpedoed their team 2 seasons in a row in the name of asset management. The Blues are a shining example of what every team that worries about asset management (like certain fans do) over winning will look like.

Lol, I can't believe I'm actually having to explain this to you, but here it goes:

Goaltending has let St Louis down. They aren't a non-playoff team because of the Shattenkirk/Schenn transactions.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They've been a serious contender for years that never made any playoff progress. With Backes,Stastny,Shattenkirk,etc.
Some only view the now but the hard decisions come when determining the sum of the whole just isn't making progress. Next NHL season doesn't care about this one. In 2 years things can be completely different. Without change sometimes things can stay exactly the same. St. Louis gets bounced 1st/2nd round. Like they always have.
People resist the change of JVR/Bozak, just like they resisted the change of Kessel/Phaneuf.
JVRs sweet deal is done. Time for change. We just didn't get any of that change for the future so unless we have a stellar playoff run, we stand to lose a lot. Just like St. Louis but people will better accept oh well they walked rather than we moved on in the summer. Boston could still have Lucic at 6x6 but they moved on.

Reactions: ToneDog

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
JVR 4,250,000 + Bozak 4,200,000 + Komarov 2,950,000 = 11.4 million.
Leivo 612,500 + Johnsson 750,833 = 1,363,333 ... That leaves $10 million.
...but there's Nylander's huge raise. So the ability for Toronto to really sign
John Tavaras just isn't there. Rookies and the Dominic Moore's of the world
are destined to fill the bottom of the roster to be able to afford the Matthews/
Nylander/Marner players.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
are destined to fill the bottom of the roster to be able to afford the Matthews/
Nylander/Marner players.
Have you considered the cap rising in your JT affordability?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Dave Poulin at TSN called him that, and they ran with that term on the quiz master the next day, so it became something.

The Leafs have never called him that.

Agree with you. Of course Poulin was one of Burke's drinking buddies....I mean VP executives. He thought it was a great idea trade for Bollland for veteran leadership. And I believe he was in one of the Clarkson signing for the same reason.
But Poulin does look good in a suit on TV.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander/Marner players.

Actually that isn't how the cap works....if you want to no performance bonus carryover in into 2019/20, when the Leafs have some big RFA signings. With the Nylander signing and the "minor" RFAs, the Leafs only about 11m in total UFA money in 2018/19.
JVR is a luxury Leafs can't/don't want to afford. Kapanen, Johnson Leivo, Grundstrom, Korshev, will have to take up his minutes at a cheaper price, though initially not as effective, but that's how it is in a cap league.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Still mad we didn't trade JVR. He would have got us at least a first. We are still rebuilding and the return would have helped a lot. What makes it worse is we have potential replacements in Leivo and Johnsson who could step in so we could evaluate what they could bring.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
JVR looks to be a player on the decline in terms of speed. I would've liked to see him traded as well as his perceived trade value was quite high. I think a first round pick will serve us better in the long run. I don't see us with a particularly high probability of winning it all this year.

That and his overall lack of effort has always irked me... (I admit it has gotten slightly better as of late )

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've been following Tampa Bay for about 20 years as a distant second team and one thing I've noticed about them the past decade or so is they have a tendency to be Presidents Trophy contenders who go to the ECF one year and then maybe miss the playoffs entirely the next season. They have these high highs and inexplicable fall out seasons and one of the things I've noticed working out for them is they have a unique blend of lottery picks and also an abundance of assets from having to trade vets during off years. This allowed them to make the big McDonagh deal this year.

Contrast this to the Leafs, who have been kind of trending towards playoff contention, they seem to be bleeding out a lot of picks just adding marginal short term "mentorship" in Boyle and Plekanec, not moving JVR and Bozak, and I think in the long run this isn't sustainable.

Hold your assets to make a big splash.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Still mad we didn't trade JVR. He would have got us at least a first. We are still rebuilding and the return would have helped a lot. What makes it worse is we have potential replacements in Leivo and Johnsson who could step in so we could evaluate what they could bring.

Even if they never considered trading the UFAs I do find it a little odd they didn't at least try those potential replacements to see where their game is, relative to the NHL club. What if Johnsson scores a hatrick his first game? Food for thought. Maybe Babcock didn't want to do anything to disturb the chemistry the team had during its winning streak.

Kapy came up last year for 8 games on March 28th so maybe that's their timeline for Marlie auditions, although he had only been back with the Marlies for a few games since being "Dotchined" in January.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

JVR is an unrestricted free-agent, pretty meh in all situations outside of the PP, has a limited no-trade clause. List the contenders for the Cup that need scoring help and have the cap room to take on JVR. The market would be very small. At best your getting a late 1st round pick. And we know how those type of picks filled the Leafs cupboards heading into the JFJ-era after the Leafs were the most successful Canadian team from 1994.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad