Player Discussion What to do with Phaneuf-Ceci pairing?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's worth noting that Corsi takes 15-20 games before stabilizing. At this stage, there's really not much you can gleam from the data.

That said, the pairing hasn't been great at all, though I didn't watch last nights game.

Ok thanks it makes sense that the more data samples/games the better the results.

There is room to improve for sure.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Not sure whats worse, Phaneuf's skating, defensive play or his discipline.

I can see why all the leaf fans were laughing at us for making this trade. We payed them to take on their version of Bobby Ryan.

Phaneuf's style is suited for 2002 hockey. Not 2016.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Robin Williams live at the met on Ronald Reagan reminds me of watching Phaneuf's lumbering
Listen from the 3 minute mark to about 3:25...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I can see why all the leaf fans were laughing at us for making this trade. We payed them to take on their version of Bobby Ryan.

We were so desperate for a top four d that we settled for this oaf.

It's like going home with the ugly girl at the end of the bar because all the hotter ones turned you down.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
meh....it's still October. While I am definitely starting to worry, it's still early yet. Some of these veteran guys don't really get going until mid November or so.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
We should build a time machine and go back in time to stop the trade from even happening. That is what we should do with the pairing.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Those mistake chabot was making in his first game... Ceci has made them every single game this season.

And people actually thought we "fleeced" Toronto on the phaneuf trade.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
First place I'd go with a time machine is the 1993 draft. Pronger in a sens uniform instead of Daigle.....*drools*

Picking Daigle was the right move at the time, it just didn't work out. I can't fault them for that pick. Trading for Phaneuf wasn't a good idea when it happened.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There is honestly so much i would change about this team if i had a time machine. :laugh:

No kidding. Seem like anything that can go wrong for this team has. Every decision that looks good at the time just blows up in our face, and guys who look like crap for us (hello, Chiasson) suddenly turn into gold when they leave. It's insane.

Picking Daigle was the right move at the time, it just didn't work out. I can't fault them for that pick. Trading for Phaneuf wasn't a good idea when it happened.

I don't recall much dissent when that Phaneuf trade occurred. Hell, people were calling Murray a genius for getting rid fo Greening and Cowen at the time.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON

Skating AINEC for me.

The guy can definitely make great defensive plays and sees the ice well, although prone to frequent brain farts. But his skating really kind of sucks.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Skating AINEC for me.

The guy can definitely make great defensive plays and sees the ice well, although prone to frequent brain farts. But his skating really kind of sucks.

Frequent brain farts. Yes, I agree.

So I don't think you can say he is good defensively, and sees the ice well, when frequently he is prone to not making good decisions leading to defensive breakdowns and turnovers: i.e. "Brain Farts."

It is kind of like saying "My dog NEVER bites anyone, unless they come within biting distance of him."

This convoluted response was just to point out that the second part of your first sentence contradicts the first part of the same sentence.

I don't mean to be a dick. I just have never liked Phaneuf and I like to point out how terrible he is whenever I get the chance.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
One thing I really don't get about him is his shot. What happened to the shot that allowed him to score 54 in his first 3 seasons?

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Frequent brain farts. Yes, I agree.

So I don't think you can say he is good defensively, and sees the ice well, when frequently he is prone to not making good decisions leading to defensive breakdowns and turnovers: i.e. "Brain Farts."

It is kind of like saying "My dog NEVER bites anyone, unless they come within biting distance of him."

This convoluted response was just to point out that the second part of your first sentence contradicts the first part of the same sentence.

I don't mean to be a dick. I just have never liked Phaneuf and I like to point out how terrible he is whenever I get the chance.

Same thing applied to Karlsson last year. We knew he saw the ice well, but he was prone to some brain farts.

And no it does not contradict (though i can see why).

Someone can see the ice well and be decent defensively and still be prone to brain farts.

I'll put it this way, he would be fine defensively 7-8/10 times per game. Those other times were meh defensively. One being a brain fart that may or may not lead to a goal against. Doesn't change the fact that he is very capable of seeing the ice and playing like it. It just means he is subject to a brainfart. It however, doesn't take away his ability to see the ice well. If anything it's his ability to stay focused consistently.

Cowen had poor vision and brain farts for example. Lost in his own zone and pinching, as well as prone to brain farts. He lacked any ability to make a great defensive play because he was poor on any kind of defensive awareness. Had he been good defensively with his brain farts, he would still be in the NHL.

And when I refer to brain farts, I mean getting beat on something the player is fully capable of avoiding (within his skill/IQ) had his brain not farted. It happens a lot to many players and elite ones as well. Obviously some more than others.

Basically brain farts do not always equate to one seeing the ice poorly.

He's not completely awful, he has quite a few decent shifts. He just needs to be more consistent. He would be a fine top 4 if he is a bit more consistent.

And yes that's a lot of farts.

Last edited:

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Count me as part of the minority that believes Phaneuf will pull it together. New team, new coach, new role, coming off an injury. He's a veteran and he'll settle in to a role that suits him over the course of the season.

Ceci has me worried, because as the more mobile of the two, he's trying to do everything. He's overthinking his breakouts. For now, he should be making the simple play 100% of the time, whether it's a chip off the glass, the obvious short breakout pass, or skating it into the neutral zone. Instead, he'll hesitate, often doubling back, and getting engaged unnecessarily by forechecking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad