Player Discussion What to do with Phaneuf-Ceci pairing?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He's played 1 game I don't think we can decide that so quickly.

We know his biggest weakness is on the defensive side of the puck. He absolutely needs to be with a strong defensive partner who can insulate him. The only RD we have who can do that is Erik, but then that means Karlsson would spend a bit more time on the defensive/safe side and less time attacking, so we'd neuter our biggest offensive weapon to babysit a rookie. We simply can't afford to do that right now.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
He's played 1 game I don't think we can decide that so quickly.

Yeah, but the reason he's played only 1 game is probably because he's not ready for full-time duty.
I thought he was OK against Arizona, but a bit slow on decision-making, a bad turnover, and he was being sheltered the whole time. He doesn't look ready to me, I expect him to be sent down after maybe playing 1 or 2 more games.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
our top 4 was supposed to be as good as anyone else's in the league. that's what everyone kept saying. and not just on here.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
our top 4 was supposed to be as good as anyone else's in the league. that's what everyone kept saying. and not just on here.

Jared Cowen is approaching his 1000 game, Nic Paul is a future stud, and Ben Bishop was the goalie they had to trade because of his contract.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

The defense looks good on paper.

I think we're finding out Phaneuf and Ceci are a bad combo. Both have positioning and decision making issues. Both have questionable first steps. Both would be better paired with a speedy positional dman.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Methot - Karlsson are too good together to be separated IMO

Then..

Phaneuf - Wideman
Claesson - Ceci

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Everyone said adding Phaneuf would help Ceci because Dion is such a solid D partner. What happened??

Ceci has been the opposite of good.

Phaneuf has been just fine IMO. Obviously some concerns about his skating like always but generally speaking I think he's been alright.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ceci has been the opposite of good.

Phaneuf has been just fine IMO. Obviously some concerns about his skating like always but generally speaking I think he's been alright.

Yup.

And because of that... i say let them figure it out. The problem is as much Ceci as anything else. Phaneuf had excellent game tonight and Ceci still struggled in the little things.

If they still struggling after 5-10 more games, then switch it up.

IMO Phaneuf is best at his right side though. You can tell in his pivots and how he handles the puck.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Dorion need to work this phone right now, if he dont bothered to move his ass in a summer. We need legit #3 D badly. Wideman #4. Phaneuf #5. Chabot #6. Boro #7.
Ceci as trade bait.
And please dont tel me Ceci is 22. We dont have a time to wait for him to become 28.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ceci's advanced stats are bottom 5 in the NHL for all defensemen. He has 35% CF and -11.6 CF relTm...

Phaneuf is around 40% and -5.5 IIRC.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
To think we could have had Drouin with Bobby and Brass right now.

Hopefully Ceci rights the ship.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dorion need to work this phone right now, if he dont bothered to move his ass in a summer. We need legit #3 D badly. Wideman #4. Phaneuf #5. Chabot #6. Boro #7.
Ceci as trade bait.
And please dont tel me Ceci is 22. We dont have a time to wait for him to become 28.

You need to relax it's 5 games in.

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
Try them with different partners?

Reduce minutes?

Let them figure it out?

Panic trade?!?!?

I'm in favour of giving them more time to figure it out. The season is still very young, and the Sens aren't dropping in the standings or anything that would make anyone panic, reasonably speaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad