Player Discussion What to do with Phaneuf-Ceci pairing?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The pair plays well when they play mean and rough. They have the weight to back it up too.

The two of them were playing like wrecking balls. Phaneuf had that rush where he went wide and threw the puck at the net for a rebound, only to go around the net and crush lindholm who had picked up the lose puck. Ceci had that nice hit where he stepped up on I don't remember who.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Also stronger, tougher, smarter, more skilled and less prone to panic. But he wasn't.

Increased speed mixed with his long reach would have meant he didn't have to be the strongest guy as he would have gotten to virtually every puck first. Same with the panicking. He was slow as a snail. He was always rushed because of this. Would be different if he was making boro plays and just running it around the boards. But he always wanted to make plays.

But it's all hypothetical. I was a huge wiercioch fan but even I saw it was time for him to move on. Also would not have qualified him at that price.

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
I hope to see this pairing continue to improve under Boucher/Crawford and if they do, this team will be playoff bound!

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Clearly one of you guys did something, because they both look way better lately.

Well, it definitely wasn't voodoo magic.

But in all seriousness, the people in the "let them play it out" camp were definitely right on this one.

I'm glad we didn't take the "panic trade" option :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
So Dion Phanuef is just a defensive defenseman now... I don't think he will hit 20 points this season

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Dion Phanuef is just a defensive defenseman now... I don't think he will hit 20 points this season

What makes you think this?

He's on pace for 25 pts, and that's without the PP clicking. Team's on ice Sh% has also been abysmal, he and Ceci in particular are really suffering from that. His PDO is unsustainably low, no matter how terrible you might think he is.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Well, it's too early to tell yet. The team could go on some kind of a scoring streak, but it's not looking good. I was told before the season that P9 would be minimum 30 points and closer to 40. I was saying we should taper our expectations... which seems to be coming true.

BTW, I hate the Claesson - Boro pairing. It's not working. If Wideman is out, these should be the pairings:

Claesson - Karl
Methot - Ceci
Boro - P9

I think the struggles of Boro an Claesson is that Boro is not that good and Claesson is being asked to play on his off side. Meaning both can't handle the puck very well.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

Well if the forward could actually score 3 goals a game, maybe our defenceman could get point. But still.. i think we need more offence coming from our D, other than Karlsson. Look at Nashville.. at least last year.

BTW, I hate the Claesson - Boro pairing. It's not working. If Wideman is out, these should be the pairings:

Claesson - Karl
Methot - Ceci
Boro - P9

I get what your saying, but please no. Claesson for now is playing OK because he has 10 min of TOI to handle.. If he play with Karlsson and has to play over 20 minutes and against top line.. we are going to start noticing the mistake way more.

Don't touch the top 4. When Wideman is back.. Claesson-Wideman should be our bottom pairing.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
What makes you think this?

He's on pace for 25 pts, and that's without the PP clicking. Team's on ice Sh% has also been abysmal, he and Ceci in particular are really suffering from that. His PDO is unsustainably low, no matter how terrible you might think he is.

His one primary assist in 13 games... can he get 20+ points relying on secondary assists? That's tough

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well, it definitely wasn't voodoo magic.

But in all seriousness, the people in the "let them play it out" camp were definitely right on this one.

I'm glad we didn't take the "panic trade" option :P
They play bad for 6 games. "They'll turn it around".

They play ok for like 3 (I realize I'm off on the amount of games we've played ) "play that's it they've been turned it around smooth sailing from here"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad