Player Discussion What to do with Phaneuf-Ceci pairing?

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Phaneuf and Ceci were fine together last year before Dion's injury. And Ceci was the best Dman on Canada's World champions last spring. Bit early to give up on him, or the pairing, n'est-ce pas?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I've never really bought into the Ceci hype. He's shown flashes but he doesn't look like a Top 4 D like 80% of the time. If we could have had Drouin for Ceci + White + 1st or something that's freaking tragic.

I don't mind the idea of moving Ceci, but moving him PLUS Colin White (who has been an amazing prospect thus far) AND another 1st round pick (and let's be real, it would have been in the top 10 last year even with Drouin) would be a terrible trade.

If it was a straight Ceci for Drouin swap and we said no, then I'd be livid, but Drouin for Ceci, White and potentially Logan Brown is a horrible trade.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Phaneuf and Ceci were fine together last year before Dion's injury. And Ceci was the best Dman on Canada's World champions last spring. Bit early to give up on him, or the pairing, n'est-ce pas?

Not in this market, these hockey experts have seen enough!

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Part of the issue is they are utilizing Ceci notably as a shut down D man, you can see it in the defensive zone starts and PK time, which does explain a bit of the numbers.

But truthfully, that was not his game coming into the NHL. Generally a capable defender, but a shut down D at the NHL level? His game was offense. His game seemed to pick up last year when he was used in a more offensive role late in the season. Now he is back to the same place of being asked to be a shutdown guy. He's not that, and perhaps we are at the point we can say he never will be that.

But with EK in front of him, there is little likelihood he can play a different role. Brass obviously likes the skill, and thinks he can do it (at least better than the other options), but at this point I'm not sure I see it.

As such I expect him to remain a whipping post for sometime.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ceci and Phaneuf are both playing hard, if anyone watched Ceci play for the 67s you won't be surprised by how bad he is in the D-zone, to quote Tim Murray on the year after Ceci was drafted 'he needs a reset'

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't mind the idea of moving Ceci, but moving him PLUS Colin White (who has been an amazing prospect thus far) AND another 1st round pick (and let's be real, it would have been in the top 10 last year even with Drouin) would be a terrible trade.

If it was a straight Ceci for Drouin swap and we said no, then I'd be livid, but Drouin for Ceci, White and potentially Logan Brown is a horrible trade.
Ceci and white I would do. Adding in another top 10ish pick and it starts to get steep.

Not if it was ceci + 1st that's as easy a trade as it gets.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Exactly.

It has been a bad start this year for the pair, but we can't just throw away the good work they did last year, or what Ceci did at the WC.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Is Colin White the real deal or is he another one of our hyped up prospects?

Projections?

2nd line C who can matchuo against anybody. Was constantly matched against opposing team top lines for team USA. If I had a projection I'd say Stepan. Some say Bergeron but that's a pipe dream. A 55-60 point C with great all around play is what we'll see. And before someone mentions it, he's much better than Lazar offensively especially.

I've watch a lot of White in the USHL (and a few games from BC) and I am almost convinced he'll be a better player than Logan Brown.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
2nd line C who can matchuo against anybody. Was constantly matched against opposing team top lines for team USA. If I had a projection I'd say Stepan. Some say Bergeron but that's a pipe dream. A 55-60 point C with great all around play is what we'll see. And before someone mentions it, he's much better than Lazar offensively especially.

I've watch a lot of White in the USHL (and a few games from BC) and I am almost convinced he'll be a better player than Logan Brown.

I am pretty sure I had asked this before but don't remember what was said. Thanks

It just sounds like the same tune that was sung for all of our other prospects in years past that didn't really amount to anything

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Is Colin White the real deal or is he another one of our hyped up prospects?

Projections?

Definitely somewhere in between. Some people on this board were saying "elite two way 1C". Others "elite 2nd line C".

I think he will be a good middle six forwArd who can easily fill in in the top 6. 40 point guy

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
What to do with Phaneuf-Ceci pairing?

a0f4c12731ac2a5f3d102f47cd898909381ab87407dc8460dda313016b255f63.jpg

But seriously.. status quo for a few more weeks at least.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's been 3 years.
:laugh:So what ,he isnt the only player on the team that has had a rough start .Defense isnt a one man show ,takes 5 guys that are working together.Its not as if the forwards have been excellent ,at two way hockey:nod:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
:laugh:So what ,he isnt the only player on the team that has had a rough start .Defense isnt a one man show ,takes 5 guys that are working together.Its not as if the forwards have been excellent ,at two way hockey:nod:

Yes he has had a rough three year start to his NHL career agreed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We only acquired Phaneuf last year at the deadline... the thead is about the pairing not Ceci, and the pairing was very good last year for the 20 games they were together. 20 games trumps 5.

You're right.

I disagree that they were "very good". I think they were better than whatever was there before (cowen- ceci. Wier ceci).

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Ceci and white I would do. Adding in another top 10ish pick and it starts to get steep.

Not if it was ceci + 1st that's as easy a trade as it gets.

If we need help it's " D" wise
Drouin is fantastic for sure but we need more D then anything (and maybe a goalie for the near future)

Anyway they need more then 5 games to gel with the new system

GO SENS GO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad