Player Discussion What to do with Maroon?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So what would you offer Maroon? IMO we REALLY need to add some speed and a sniper to the wings. If we could somehow add Grabner and Hoffman we'd be in good shape IMO. As far as I'm concerned I'd deal Maroon if we can add Hoffman via trade. IMO Maroon is kind of like Russell last year, a good/decent player but a placeholder until we can add someone better and in this case (McDavid's LW) we really need to do better. The only way that you keep Maroon is if you move out Lucic or Patty signs for $3 million or less.

I think the team should just forget it. Accept they're rebuilding still.

Doing stuff like trading younger players for fill-ins like a Hoffman just creates other holes elsewhere.

If Maroon is willing to sign at 3.5x3 I'd probably do it. There's no guarantee at all that Grabner chooses us, and if he does he probably wants 5 years of term.

Let Puljujarvi and Yamamoto (and possibly Zadina/Tkachuk/Svechnikov, lol) play next year and let it roll. We don't have the cap room realistically for 90% of the moves suggested on this board anyway, people mocking half their rosters don't take into account things like the Pouliot buy out or bonus salary (uh yeah if you're going to put Puljujarvi with McDavid in your mock roster, you have to worry about performance bonuses).

Reactions: dawunderboy

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Maroon needs to be moved soon.... time to get on with moving out him and Letestu and forming up next years roster.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maroon needs to be moved soon.... time to get on with moving out him and Letestu and forming up next years roster.

Agreed. Let's not wait until the last minute and risk injury to either player. This team is done like dinner.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Agreed. Let's not wait until the last minute and risk injury to either player. This team is done like dinner.

I wonder what it would take to grab one of St. Louis' prospects for Maroon. Take your pick, the Oil could use Jaden Schmaltz today RHD with some promise, or any of their stacked array of young forwards Thompson, Kyrou, Barbashev, Rob Thomas... where does their organizational depth end?? Anyways, I would argue that Schmaltz for Maroon straight up is a decent deal, but we'd likely have to add something for one of the others... Could use any wing, centre or DMan... heck Goalie even.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Still want to re-sign him if we can.

This team is already weak on the wings and I don't think getting rid of one of their only top 6 wingers is exactly a smart idea.

Sure if he wants a massive deal you move on, but I'm trying to see if there is a 3 year deal that makes sense.

I'd add that as much as I like what Jesse has done this year, it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me if he struggled next year making things even worse on the wing next year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
maroon had a career year last season, but this year he's been away from McDavid more, and he's got a 20 goal pace, 44 points. I don't think his number will start with a 4. He's also 29 years old. I do defend Chia more than I criticize him, but you don't pay him like his 27 goal performance is the norm.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
That would be reasonable. And ffs no NMC's/NTC's for role players unless they leave a LOT of $ on the table.

I agree, but In todays market dont you think a big body like maroon with the goals he scored last year is worth more than $3ml?! If I was him I’d at least want to take a look. Maybe I’m wrong... 3x3 would be a steal for
The Oilers

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree, but I’m todays market do t you think a big body like maroon with the goals he scored last year is worth more than $3ml?! If I was him I’d at least want to take a look. Maybe I’m wrong... 3x3 would be a steal for
The Oilers

I think that he could get more. However I would draw a line in the sand and say "this is the best that I can do, we love you as a player and want to keep you here but if this isn't workable for you then I will be forced to deal you".

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We're paying Lucic twice as much as we're prepared to pay Maroon? Does not equate. Maroon is probably a better player at this point. I don't think 4 is out of the question and I think that number does Edmonton a bit of a favor actually. Anywhere under 4 would be magic.

That's the trouble with payroll hierarchy and precedent. That's Chia sitting at the table trying to say 3M with a straight face.

Its kind of hard for Chia to say "well, I overpaid everybody else and theres no money left so sorry, and thanks for the 51 goals which is as many as Draisaitl in same timeframe.

This is one of the few recruits that came here and consistently brought it. If anybody is up to being rewarded on this club its Maroon for what he's brought here. Not doing that sends a weird message.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We're paying Lucic twice as much as we're prepared to pay Maroon? Does not equate. Maroon is probably a better player at this point. I don't think 4 is out of the question and I think that number does Edmonton a bit of a favor actually. Anywhere under 4 would be magic.

That's the trouble with payroll hierarchy and precedent. That's Chia sitting at the table trying to say 3M with a straight face.

Its kind of hard for Chia to say "well, I overpaid everybody else and theres no money left so sorry, and thanks for the 51 goals which is as many as Draisaitl in same timeframe.

This is one of the few recruits that came here and consistently brought it. If anybody is up to being rewarded on this club its Maroon for what he's brought here. Not doing that sends a weird message.

The only people that should matter to are Maroon and his agent. Chia cannot pay him $4 million + and improve this team. Patty needs to see this, such is life when your top 2 players take up $21 million.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only people that should matter to are Maroon and his agent. Chia cannot pay him $4 million + and improve this team. Patty needs to see this, such is life when your top 2 players take up $21 million.

So Patty needs to see this but nobody else did. "Sorry, Xmas is over, just overpaid everybody else, sucks to be you Patrick. "

51 goals scored within a team that has a hell of a problem scoring goals and that has no better winger on the whole roster. That's who we're going to lowball..

Theres a barrel there and Chia is leaning over it. Chia made this cap situation, nobody else did. Almost all the prior contracts are gone.

In what way is Chia supposed to convince the Maroon camp that he's less good to the team than Sekera, Russell, Klefbom, Lucic?

The real problem is none of the other Chia winger projects have found traction. That too will be noted, and that Maroon even removed from McD is still the clubs highest scoring winger.

If Patty is gone, and I suspect he is, its just more bad news. It would also be a loss of the best Chia deal yet.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I think that he could get more. However I would draw a line in the sand and say "this is the best that I can do, we love you as a player and want to keep you here but if this isn't workable for you then I will be forced to deal you".

I would hope this conversation has already been had... If the Oil gets even a 2nd for Maroon, it is highly unlikely that player the Oil picks will play in the NHL in the next 3 years, nevermind make the NHL. Maroon obviously brings more to the table - just a matter of can we afford him. If not, get a piece and move on.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

That's what i was thinking too. That's ny limit for him. If he feels 3x3 isn't fair value then he has to go.
Someone wants to pay him 4 million in the summer, I'll just be glad it wasn't edmonton.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So Patty needs to see this but nobody else did. "Sorry, Xmas is over, just overpaid everybody else, sucks to be you Patrick. "

51 goals scored within a team that has a hell of a problem scoring goals and that has no better winger on the whole roster. That's who we're going to lowball..

Theres a barrel there and Chia is leaning over it. Chia made this cap situation, nobody else did. Almost all the prior contracts are gone.

In what way is Chia supposed to convince the Maroon camp that he's less good to the team than Sekera, Russell, Klefbom, Lucic?

The real problem is none of the other Chia winger projects have found traction. That too will be noted, and that Maroon even removed from McD is still the clubs highest scoring winger.

If Patty is gone, and I suspect he is, its just more bad news. It would also be a loss of the best Chia deal yet.
If Klefbom and Sekera return to how they played last year, or even close to it, they're alot more important than Maroon.
And for how good everyone thinks Maroon is, he's still not as good as Lucic.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Actually Maroon away from McDavid hasn't done much. Offensively he has been worse than Lucic overall and Maroon gets those gravy McDavid minutes cause he is a faster skater.

The issue with Maroon for us is...seasons a write off so you sell for assets. Maroon will not be worth much at the trade deadline because he has been a career 3rd liner that has found a niche with arguably the best player in hockey. So unless the teams league wide have another McDavid for him to play with he might be worst a very low second.

Signing him is a worry because he has been good here but outside of his play with McDavid he isn't close to as good. So he will still want a bunch due to his offense but we his history and reliance on McDavid lowers that. That said it's Chia so he will pay too much h.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

So who do we lowball? Nurse? Trade Nuge for futures? Chia did make this mess to some degree. Connor and Leon had choices to leave more on the table for their teammates. Connor supposedly did, Leon sure as hell didn't. The Lucic deal for all of the griping was a move for the now. Add leadership and accountability as well as lessen the sand kicked in our faces. Same with Sekera. The real puzzling one was the Russell deal IMO. Chia for all of his warts brought Maroon in for a song. When you pay your stars as much as we do the role players salaries suffer. Is it fair? Hardly. But that is the reality of the cap world.

I would hope this conversation has already been had... If the Oil gets even a 2nd for Maroon, it is highly unlikely that player the Oil picks will play in the NHL in the next 3 years, nevermind make the NHL. Maroon obviously brings more to the table - just a matter of can we afford him. If not, get a piece and move on.

We could acquire a 2nd and flip it for a useful player at the draft as well. Just because we acquire such a pick doesn't guarantee that we walk up to the podium for that pick.

That's what i was thinking too. That's ny limit for him. If he feels 3x3 isn't fair value then he has to go.
Someone wants to pay him 4 million in the summer, I'll just be glad it wasn't edmonton.

It sucks for Patrick but he's sucking the hind teet here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So who do we lowball? Nurse? Trade Nuge for futures? Chia did make this mess to some degree. Connor and Leon had choices to leave more on the table for their teammates. Connor supposedly did, Leon sure as hell didn't. The Lucic deal for all of the griping was a move for the now. Add leadership and accountability as well as lessen the sand kicked in our faces. Same with Sekera. The real puzzling one was the Russell deal IMO. Chia for all of his warts brought Maroon in for a song. When you pay your stars as much as we do the role players salaries suffer. Is it fair? Hardly. But that is the reality of the cap world.

We could acquire a 2nd and flip it for a useful player at the draft as well. Just because we acquire such a pick doesn't guarantee that we walk up to the podium for that pick.

It sucks for Patrick but he's sucking the hind teet here.
You are on point on all of this. Especially with that 2nd round pick idea. That player may never play for us, that's true. But it could be used for a player that could play for us. Could help us move up in the round and pick a better player or something too.

Picks are assets. Players are assets. 1st and 2nd round draft picks are the easiest assets to move as every team has room for more picks.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

You have a valid point on previous contracts and scapegoating. But at the end of the day Maroon does little if he doesn't get preferential treatment. That is not worth 3mil+.

The idea is to reward players players through the ranks. If the option is to hold back players cuz Maroon doesn't fit anywhere else, well then that is a deal you don't sign imo

Wingers are a dime a dozen. You can't make an argument here for him based on past mistakes also. Just cuz you have one Lucic, does not mean you should be obligated to sign 2

That $ money should be reserved for C's and dmen if they pop up. There are plenty of cheap wingers to go around

Just b/c Russel and Looch may have taken up a contract that Maroon was more deserving of, still does not justify saying Chia should make another loyalty contract cuz Maroon earned it more..imo to all points of course

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I think he will be moved at the deadline. Just a hunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad