What the hell happened to Ottawa?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I dont know how he goes 17 points in 11 games before falling off the face of the earth though.

Wonder if he had a setback.

I think he's hit a wall. Players can come back and perform well in the short run. I remember he came out of the gate with something like 6 points in his first two games.

To be honest though, he hasn't looked the same at all to me in the games I've watched him, despite what the points say.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
People think they are in trouble now. If I am a GM i wait until 2018 draft to take advantage of the sens position.

This year they need to sign Ceci and Stone. The following year Brassard, Duchene, Karlson and half the team. They can't let Brassard or Duchene walk for nothing with what they gave up. How do they accomplish this when there is an internal cap? If your a GM wouldnt you demand an insane overpayment to help them out?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ottawa has always been a mediocre team carried by one player.

That one player is struggling and the outcome is entirely predictable.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Didn't Karlsson's slump start right around the Turris trade?

I mean, maybe they were close and it's gutted him or maybe he's bummed out knowing that he is playing for a franchise that doesn't want to pay guys. His contract comments a few days ago line up with a guy who has seen what happens when it is time to get paid. Maybe his heart isn't in Ottawa the same anymore (speculation, I know..... but it is a message board after all).

Production wise his slump started right after the Sweden trip, the trade occurred right before the trip. He did have 17 points in 11 games just look back at what Sens fans were saying then. He wasnt playing very well then, likely a result of the injury. No points in 9 games is a little extreme but a slump was to be expected if he continued to play the way he did in those 11 games.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Methot was a trooper
Turris was effective and Duchene looks like turds
Karlsson actually looks damaged
Anderson is playing poorly
Condon is underwhelming
Wideman and Borowiecki both injured

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Who knows? On paper they have a decent team, Duchene, Stone, Brassard, Hoffman, Karlsson, Ceci, Anderson etc. But they just can't get it going.

I mean I didn't think they'd be as good as they were last year but I sure as hell didn't see a possible playoff miss.

It's going to look pretty bad giving up Turris, Bowers, 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick for Duchene if they miss the playoffs. Especially bad if they end up with a lottery pick over 10 and the pick goes to the Avs this year.

InAllOurLeafsCommand

Apr 9, 2017
Who knows? On paper they have a decent team, Duchene, Stone, Brassard, Hoffman, Karlsson, Ceci, Anderson etc. But they just can't get it going.

I mean I didn't think they'd be as good as they were last year but I sure as hell didn't see a possible playoff miss.

It's going to look pretty bad giving up Turris, Bowers, 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick for Duchene if they miss the playoffs. Especially bad if they end up with a lottery pick over 10 and the pick goes to the Avs this year.

It's going to be real bad when Duchene and Karlsson both walk. Good luck rebuilding with all those given away picks and prospects, along with the Phaneuf and Ryan contracts. The Senators are on the verge of a disaster, imo. Dorion has done real damage to that team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
After being one goal away from the Stanley Cup Final last year, I think we all expected Ottawa to be a competitive team again this year. However, it seems like the Senator's season isn't going well.

They just got shutout by the Jets 5-0. They are 2-7-1 in their last 10. Karlsson hasn't scored since November 11, a drought of 9 games (!).

The Sens once thought to have a hold on the third Atlantic divisional spot have tumbled down to 4 spots out of the Wildcard and 4-5 points behind Boston and Montreal for the last divisional spot.

They traded for Duchene expecting their Centre position to be solidified.

What is going on with Ottawa?

Edit: Senator jersey hitting the ice (thank you Tom ServoMST3K)

What happened? They just weren't that good. They made the playoffs and advanced in the playoffs due an emotionally driven run by Andersson. Now that he doesn't have that same motivation, he's fallen back down to earth and thus so have the Sens. The Turris/Duchene swap didn't do them any favors either IMO.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Similar to EDM. They overachieved last year. That said, I didn't expect either team to be as bad as they've been.

Reactions: libertarian

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's going to be real bad when Duchene and Karlsson both walk. Good luck rebuilding with all those given away picks and prospects, along with the Phaneuf and Ryan contracts. The Senators are on the verge of a disaster, imo. Dorion has done real damage to that team.
Yeah, I'm not sure what Ottawa was thinking, there is a decent chance both of them walk next season, and then they are totally screwed.

I always figured Duchene would go to a team like Nashville who is a Cup contender for the next 5 years, and he'd resign. Not a team that is 50/50 on even making the playoffs. Duchene wants to win a if he doesn't the next 2 years in Ottawa he'll test UFA and sign elsewhere.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ottawa = Erik Karlsson
Erik Karlsson+2017-2018 season = sucks
= Ottawa sucks 2017-2018 season

Karlsson this season: 1 goal, 4 pp points and is -11 in 20 games

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
Honestly they miss Turris. I watch a lot of Ottawa games, and he was an absolute monster and probably the best defensive forward on the team. He did a lot of small things that helpeed them win hockey games. He was alternate captain and clearly a leader in the room, not to mention a solid vet presence. Duchene is a great complimentary player but not meant to lead a team, even offensively.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What happened? They just weren't that good. They made the playoffs and advanced in the playoffs due an emotionally driven run by Andersson. Now that he doesn't have that same motivation, he's fallen back down to earth and thus so have the Sens. The Turris/Duchene swap didn't do them any favors either IMO.

If Andersson and Condon were even average this season the Sens would look a lot better.

Reactions: Kamina

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
They were one of the luckiest teams last year statistically (they looked good in the playoffs, I'll give em that). Their luck was bound to end at some point. They were really never dominant in any specific area. Just meh all around.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Andersson and Condon were even average this season the Sens would look a lot better.
Yeah? But they are both below average overall for their roles, so this should be surprising to no one. Andersson is IMO one of the most overrated goaltenders in the NHL. He has this amazing hot streaks, but then he is absolutely god awful for long stretches. He's not much different than Steve Mason in that regard.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
First off, the goaltending has been God awful. Anderson has been terrible and Condon, is, well, a backup.

Other than that, nothing is really going right at the moment. Karlsson is playing awful, but he's a great player and great players find ways to rebound. He'll be fine soon. Ceci seems to be getting worse and worse every night, and the team misses Wideman.

Duchene hasn't been bad, very noticeable a lot of games but does need to start getting on the scoresheet. Turris was an underrated player in Ottawa who played a complete game...the Sens do miss him.

Didn't Karlsson's slump start right around the Turris trade?

I mean, maybe they were close and it's gutted him or maybe he's bummed out knowing that he is playing for a franchise that doesn't want to pay guys. His contract comments a few days ago line up with a guy who has seen what happens when it is time to get paid. Maybe his heart isn't in Ottawa the same anymore (speculation, I know..... but it is a message board after all).

Except the Sens aren't really a franchise that "doesn't want to pay guys". Sure, point to Turris and assume that, but nobody knows what happened in those contract negotiations. From everything reported, it seems like Turris wanted a 7-8 year deal in Ottawa, and the Sens were not committed to that term (but were committed to the dollar amount). I'm sure the team wanted to make sure they could retain Stone/Karlsson longterm over Turris.

This is the same team that paid MacArthur $23M, Anderson $9.5M, Methot $20M and Ryan $50M just two years ago. If there's disputes with Stone, and Karlsson walks as a free agent, I'll believe it. But at this point, I don't think there's enough evidence.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
They were consistently bailed out by god like goaltending & a god mode Karlsson. Anyone could've seen this coming.

And God like lucky bounces. That Brassard goal. Pucks don't bounce around and change direction 4 different times between leaving a players stick and going in the net unless you've got a serious luck/60.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
And God like lucky bounces. That Brassard goal. Pucks don't bounce around and change direction 4 different times between leaving a players stick and going in the net unless you've got a serious luck/60.

Lundqvist and the Rangers defense after Mcdonaugh and Skjei was an absolute joke in that series. Don't need luck when anything you put at the net is a scoring chance.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Lundqvist and the Rangers defense after Mcdonaugh and Skjei was an absolute joke in that series. Don't need luck when anything you put at the net is a scoring chance.

Too bad AV had Skjei glued to the bench in the Game 2 and 5 collapses.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Tonight it was the Jets... The Jets are one of the best teams in the League(by virtue of points and pieces/talent), they where underrated going into the season due to missing the Playoffs and the Sens wherent necessarily overrated but rather had uber high expectations after Playoff success.

I mean I myself tried to warn people(they where caught up in the success of other young Canadian teams to care or give thought to the matter) and give more context to the lack of Winnipeg’s success(I knew they’d be good this season by they’re talent alone but not this good this soon), the Sens being this bad I however did not see coming(as I’m sure many others would be baffled as well by theryre failure thus far).

Anyways both teams should be playoff teams and the one you’d expect to be the Contender off of last seasons showings is not the one that anyone would had thought(don’t tell me Winnipeg is not a contender just because of the fact they missed the Playoffs last season because Tampa missed last season and Edmonton went very far into the playoffs off of a horrid record of past seasons records).

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

No they wouldn't. Anderson and Condon haven't looked good because the senators haven't defended very well.

@WPG

@NYI

@mtl

Those are the ES goals in the last three games. It's been a pretty solid trend much of the year. Those three games they've given up 37 high danger scoring chances.

Last season this was a team that defended the net really well, limited second chances and didn't give up many odd man rushes. They made you work to get looks in the slot, this year you can get a shot off uncontested.

Reactions: naruto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad