What the hell happened to Ottawa?

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
After being one goal away from the Stanley Cup Final last year, I think we all expected Ottawa to be a competitive team again this year. However, it seems like the Senator's season isn't going well.

They just got shutout by the Jets 5-0. They are 2-7-1 in their last 10. Karlsson hasn't scored since November 11, a drought of 9 games (!).

The Sens once thought to have a hold on the third Atlantic divisional spot have tumbled down to 4 spots out of the Wildcard and 4-5 points behind Boston and Montreal for the last divisional spot.

They traded for Duchene expecting their Centre position to be solidified.

What is going on with Ottawa?

Edit: Senator jersey hitting the ice (thank you Tom ServoMST3K)

Last edited:

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
To be fair, the Jets have been fantastic lately. But they usually school Winnipeg at home, so I'm kinda surprised.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
one would hope it's just the lack of team chemistry with a new big acquisition and a bad slump but I've no idea what the underlying stats look like for the sens

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
one would hope it's just the lack of team chemistry with a new big acquisition and a bad slump but I've no idea what the underlying stats look like for the sens

IIRC, their underlying stats are bad. So maybe it's just Ottawa coming back to Earth just like the Avs, Leafs and Flames of years past did.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
They were bad last year, they got worse this year.

Main reasons:

• Don't trade your 1C in the midst of a season and try to transition a new player into the role. Especially if you have playoff aspirations.
  • Pageau took a big step back.
  • Anderson took an even bigger step back.
  • Karlsson has to be an absolute superstar for the team to even have a chance. He doesn't look it right now.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
My second favourite team after the Jets. I hope they turn it around but right now it doesn't look good.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm not sure why people are surprised. They rode a hot goaltending wave last season and Karlsson also played out of his mind. Bottom 10 possession, bottom 10 PP/PK, bottom 10 in goals for, only playoff team with a negative goal differential. It was never gonna last long term. Sens fans were arguing with Leaf fans earlier in the year about how it's their system and they play a counter attack style or whatever, and Leaf fans who had been there and done that with Carlyle tried to tell them otherwise but they refused to listen. Boucher is overrated, and Turris is also better than Duchene, especially at C where he played a lot of quality minutes for Ottawa with tough assignments.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Geez, Duchene has really fallen off a cliff this year. I know he's a lot better than this, and that he'll probably carve out a pretty decent NHL career when all is said and done, but... Geez.

Reactions: Jarey Curry

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
From what I can tell, Goaltending has been very shaky for them. Andersson has been bad this year and tonight wasn't Condons night. Weird Cuz Andersson was pretty good last year.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
IIRC, their underlying stats are bad. So maybe it's just Ottawa coming back to Earth just like the Avs, Leafs and Flames of years past did.

This is exactly it. This is pretty much the exact same team as last year, as far as expected goals and results are concerned. The only difference is they aren't getting Vezina quality goaltending to compensate. Seems odd, coming from a Jets fan who's team rode Vezina worthy goaltending for the first 13-20 or so games.

Reactions: 1specter

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I'm not sure why people are surprised. They rode a hot goaltending wave last season and Karlsson also played out of his mind. Bottom 10 possession, bottom 10 PP/PK, bottom 10 in goals for, only playoff team with a negative goal differential. It was never gonna last long term. Sens fans were arguing with Leaf fans earlier in the year about how it's their system and they play a counter attack style or whatever, and Leaf fans who had been there and done that with Carlyle tried to tell them otherwise but they refused to listen. Boucher is overrated, and Turris is also better than Duchene, especially at C where he played a lot of quality minutes for Ottawa with tough assignments.

Exactly this. I said MTL was a better team that Ottawa and got destroyed by Sens fans. I can't count the number of fans that said that their team was different than the Flames/Avs/Leafs of the past. Horrible underlying numbers.

The "system" is a joke. You can't expect to be bottom 10 in possession and expect it to not catch up to you. Counter attacking systems never work long term, ever.

Nothing "happened" to them. They were always bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->