What the hell happened to Ottawa?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Turris is very underrated
Duchene is overrated
Sens need Karlson to be a top 3 player in the NHL to be a good team and they really need strong goaltending for their style of play to be effective.

Reactions: bl02

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Overrated on this board coming into the year.
Wow, incredible. Where did you get your magic crystall-ball that that lets you see things that already happened with 20-20 clarity?

I wouldn't write the Sens off yet. Before the current losing streak, they were 8-3-5 to start the season and were a .598 team last season. Unless something really substantial has happened in the past few weeks that we don't know about, I would say the odds of them coming back strongly are good.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Wow, incredible. Where did you get your magic crystall-ball that that lets you see things that already happened with 20-20 clarity?

I wouldn't write the Sens off yet. Before the current losing streak, they were 8-3-5 to start the season and were a .598 team last season. Unless something really substantial has happened in the past few weeks that we don't know about, I would say the odds of them coming back strongly are good.

you didn't need a crystal ball to look at their garbage possession numbers. No team that plays like that can have sustainable success.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I don't think they were that good to begin with.
they never were. they had the worst goal differential of any team that made the playoffs and in the playoffs had the worst goal and shot differential. they had timely goals and hot goaltending. they have always been a bubble team.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
They relied too much on hot goaltending, god like play from Karlsson, and playing trap hockey to squeeze out wins, with comebacks.

You can't sustain that kind of hockey in todays NHL, there's a reason teams don't play that style anymore. It can work in the short-term but definitely not in the long-term.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Karlsson is going to take some time to get back to his level. That injury was a major one, and I've seen players who take many many months to get their game back. It may not even come back this season.

As Karlsson goes, so do the sens. Its as simple as that.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia

Seriously? Did you miss that they lost their second best defenseman for literally nothing. This is not the same team that went to the ECF. You didn’t need a crystal ball to see that.

And did you miss the trade that happened in early November, they have not played well at all since . Turris was a big part of that team and from what we’ve seen the trade is not having a positive impact on the team right now . I would count that as substantial I don’t know about you.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

InAllOurLeafsCommand

Apr 9, 2017
i made a post last year/thread. They have Karlsson and a bunch of third liners. Not much scoring either. No stars.

I think there is talent. Hoffman, Stone, Brassard, Duchene, Chabot, and even Ryan. But the system is just so bad. I've watched many of their games this year and it's just brutal to watch, so many times the team just dumps the puck into the opposing zone while one player goes in for the forecheck. The rest go for a change and scurry back to the Sens blueline. It's no wonder they seem to spend most of every game in their own zone. Boucher's system has been figured out and he needs to revamp what they're doing or hit the road (again).

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
you didn't need a crystal ball to look at their garbage possession numbers. No team that plays like that can have sustainable success.

So much wrong with this statement.

As if "possession hockey" is the only system each and every 31 teams play, game in and game out.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Lots of people called this, myself included, and were lynched by Sens fans. They are still better than this tho.

Sens were like the Oilers, became overrated after successful cup runs last year. However, I still expect both team to turn it around... let's get honest, I don't think both teams are bottom 16 in the league with the line up and guys like Karlsson and Mcdavid (Best Defender and Forward).

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Turris is very underrated
Duchene is overrated
Sens need Karlson to be a top 3 player in the NHL to be a good team and they really need strong goaltending for their style of play to be effective.

To be fair, Turris wouldn't help this team in their current state either. They weren't good with him (not a knock on him) too. They started slowly deteriorating when Karlsson came back.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
They're in a rut right now, but let's not forget about how the Rangers and Canadiens started off.

I wouldn't count them out of playoff contention yet.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
They relied too much on hot goaltending, god like play from Karlsson, and playing trap hockey to squeeze out wins, with comebacks.

You can't sustain that kind of hockey in todays NHL, there's a reason teams don't play that style anymore. It can work in the short-term but definitely not in the long-term.

You do know that most teams trap while nursing leads don't you?

Style changes depending on the situation.

Really amazing to think that all teams have analysts and video teams and yet there would be no adjustments made... ever.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Should of resigned Chris Neal :sarcasm:, but seriously their good players including Karlsson are not playing very well, didn't notice Hoffman or Duchene tonight and don't get me started with Ryan and Phaneuf, drop some dead weight if they can try and convince Karlsson to resign in a couple of years if not rebuild time.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So much wrong with this statement.

As if "possession hockey" is the only system each and every 31 teams play, game in and game out.
what? there's nothing wrong with it. So many times there are teams that have a successful season despite available metrics pointing towards that success being unsustainable, and their fans they're the exception and a regression won't happen to them. And then it does, because you can't win most nights when you get outplayed. That's all that's happening here

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
You do know that most teams trap while nursing leads don't you?

Style changes depending on the situation.

Really amazing to think that all teams have analysts and video teams and yet there would be no adjustments made... ever.

Yes I understand that, but going into games trying to win by scoring 1-2 goals is not a recipe for long-term success. Especially with all the new rules being implemented.

They probably wont be this bad for the entirety of the season, but it's hard to sustain success playing that style of hockey in today's NHL.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
The last decade or so they always been a team to make the playoffs and then miss out next year and make it again the next year and repeat.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad