Player Discussion What do we have in Erik Gudbranson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My opinion on Gudbranson is similar to Sutter.

Just as I don’t want Sutter anywhere near my top 6 for an extended period of time, I don’t want Guds on my Top 4 defense for an extended period of time. In the event of injuries however, I think both Sutter and Guds can fill in on the Top 6 and Top 4 respectively.....on a temporary basis.....and not look too out of place.

Both Sutter and Gudbranson are overpaid, but I think both guys fill a great need for this team and are terrific when used in the correct way. We saw that from Sutter this year (3rd line C, defensive tasks, etc.).

I expect the same thing out of Gudbranson in the coming years (good stay at home guy, physical presence, the “ying” to the “yang” playing alongside a good PMD in certain situations).

boogeybendo

Dec 18, 2017

Just as I don’t want Sutter anywhere near my top 6 for an extended period of time, I don’t want Guds on my Top 4 defense for an extended period of time. In the event of injuries however, I think both Sutter and Guds can fill in on the Top 6 and Top 4 respectively.....on a temporary basis.....and not look too out of place.

Both Sutter and Gudbranson are overpaid, but I think both guys fill a great need for this team and are terrific when used in the correct way. We saw that from Sutter this year (3rd line C, defensive tasks, etc.).

I expect the same thing out of Gudbranson in the coming years (good stay at home guy, physical presence, the “ying” to the “yang” playing alongside a good PMD in certain situations).

Holy #### I actually agree with you for once.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018

I don't think we really know what we have in Gud. In florida the guy was a #2 and his teammates loved him and they hated the fact he was traded.

Comes here, into a team in chaos, a defense in chaos, gets oft injured, never really got his feet under him. When he was paired with Edler last year, they both seemed to up their game and looked to be a real top pairing. Edler had a terrific finish playing with him and Gud looked like a top 4 to me.

I am curious to watch if those two are paired next year how he looks (assuming he stays healthy)

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
As a fanatic I hope for results. For us to make the playoffs Guddy and Edler need to be our top pair, and play 70 plus games each. I’m hopeful that will happen.

As a fanatic I hate the fact that our management doesn't put us in a position to make the playoffs let alone win the Stanley Cup.
Why would feeling the pain of not having a good hockey team somehow make us lesser fans than the people who anesthetize the pain away by not dealing with the truth?

This logical fallacy never clicked with me.

Reactions: Pavel96

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
As a fanatic I hate the fact that our management doesn't put us in a position to make the playoffs let alone win the Stanley Cup.
Why would feeling the pain of not having a good hockey team somehow make us lesser fans than the people who anesthetize the pain away by not dealing with the truth?

This logical fallacy never clicked with me.
some people just get that we are in a rebuild and they take time

not all of us screamed as children when we didn't get what we wanted and had mommy come running with the lollypops.

There is a lifecycle of a team's existence. Winner, aging decline, transition, rebuild, improvement, competitive, winner,then it repeats.

No one thinks our team is 'good', we just know where we are in the process and can see the vision of the team being assembled and that gives us hope and patience.

Some need their lolly's when they scream, real life doesn't work that way son.

Reactions: coldsteel79

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
some people just get that we are in a rebuild and they take time

not all of us screamed as children when we didn't get what we wanted and had mommy come running with the lollypops.

There is a lifecycle of a team's existence. Winner, aging decline, transition, rebuild, improvement, competitive, winner,then it repeats.

No one thinks our team is 'good', we just know where we are in the process and can see the vision of the team being assembled and that gives us hope and patience.

Some need their lolly's when they scream, real life doesn't work that way son.

Wtf are you talking about..?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This '25 minutes in the playoffs' thing really has to stop.

1) it was a 6-game sample size.

2) 3 games in that series went to OT and 2 to double OT. He was actually around 21 minutes in regulation.

3) 4 guys all played 25 minutes/game on that team. One was Dmitri Kulikov, who is crap and has been a healthy scratch in 2 organizations over the past two years. Should we acquire him?

4) he wasn't good in those minutes.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Every time I watch Gudbranson I am astonished by how consistently bad he is. He does almost nothing well. Everyone knows he can't play the puck, and I suppose if we're being kind we will say that he knows it too, which is why he doesn't try to do much with it. He is somewhat useful on the PK for this reason, because his only puck skill is puck-clearing, but even at that he can be incredibly frustrating because he will just keep trying and failing to clear the puck over and over again and he can't make a pass.

More surprisingly, he just makes a lot of poor decisions in the defensive zone, way too many for someone with no offensive ability. He gets turnstiled on a regular basis. He is not very quick and often looks like he is lumbering around the ice like a giraffe. When Tryamkin was here, he also looked awkward at times but you could see how clever he was, the little things he would do with his stick to break up plays. Gudbranson is completely lacking in this kind of IQ.

I mean I just cannot fathom how anyone can watch this player and think anything of him. He carries a reputation for being some kind of tough customer, but this is basically completely unsupported by his tenure in Vancouver; he went like 40 games last season without taking a single penalty for roughing, cross-checking, anything like this. He doesn't stand up for his teammates. He talks shit in the media but backs it up with almost nothing. He throws teammates under the bus. This is your captain?

Finally, he gets hurt all the time, and this season he hurt himself doing some recreational activities in Mexico during the player's break which was pretty annoying. Again, this is your captain?

And like, lest I think that my eye test is failing me, there is basically nothing in the data that suggests he is good at anything. We get pummeled in shots and chances every time he is on the ice, but at least this season was one of the luckiest player I have ever seen, where it seemed like his goalie would make a brilliant save every time he f***ed something up, which was often.

He is bad. He is really bad. I think calling him "bottom-pairing" is actually being quite generous. His presence in the NHL and the premium being paid for his services is strong evidence to me that there is still a strong bias for tall, Canadian guys regardless of their abilities. I would honestly trade him for any round pick at this point.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
What are people talking about when they continually post that they liked how he played with Edler? It's complete nonsense. He had a streak where he was on the ice for what 9/10 goals?

Here is is playing with Edler (sharing the ice for 3 goals). He leaves his side to go to Edler's on one goal and runs into the goalie in another. He looked horrible after signing his new contract (just watch it):

Karlsson’s two goals help Golden Knights double up Canucks - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What are people talking about when they continually post that they liked how he played with Edler? It's complete nonsense. He had a streak where he was on the ice for what 9/10 goals?

Here is is playing with Edler (sharing the ice for 3 goals). He leaves his side to go to Edler's on one goal and runs into the goalie in another. He looked horrible after signing his new contract (just watch it):

Haha, oh man I forgot about this.

Kinda unfair but he really is just so terrible and he makes horrible plays like that all the time.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
There is nothing Gudbranson can do that Alex Biega, a 825k 7th defenseman can't do. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Andrew Alberts, inept both offensively and defensively, decent on the PK but only because he's good at clearing the puck down the ice, and occasionally he throws a big hit to liven the crowd.

In the two seasons, he's bled goals against consistently every time he steps on the ice. He handles the puck like the hot potato when attempting a breakout pass, gets turnstiled by attacking players coming over his blue line nearly every single shift, and he constantly makes poor decsions in his own zone. He barely ever plays in the offensive zone because the majority of his time on ice is spent chasing the puck and being walked around in the defensive zone.

Even his supposed strong points like physical play and clearing the front of the net are rarely displayed by him. It's astonishing that anyone could watch him and think there's something to his game that's valuable, it's not even a numbers based argument contrary to what some like to claim, he fails the eye test.

I do not give a f*** how many minutes he played with the Panthers in 6 playoff games two seasons ago. How that's used as an argument for why he still has potential is utterly baffling. He's 26, he is what he is, and he is terrible.

Reactions: y2kcanucks and MS

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Net Front Presence

Puts an extra inch or two on the young kids and skill guys. The game is changing yes but you still need these guys, analytics hasn’t figured that out yet. It is still a sport for gladiators. He’s still young, lots of hockey left in him, apparently a good team guy and on a reasonable extension

Hate tweener McCann, he will only amount to a hill of cannelini beans but I don’t like giving up the 2nd for him, there was some beauties in the 2nd round but Benning more than made up for that in the Burrows trade - Dahlen. Asplund was chosen with that 2nd and like tweener McCann, Asplund will only amount to a hill if cannellini beans

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Net Front Presence

Puts an extra inch or two on the young kids and skill guys. The game is changing yes but you still need these guys, analytics hasn’t figured that out yet. It is still a sport for gladiators. He’s still young, lots of hockey left in him, apparently a good team guy and on a reasonable extension

Hate tweener McCann, he will only amount to a hill of cannelini beans but I don’t like giving up the 2nd for him, there was some beauties in the 2nd round but Benning more than made up for that in the Burrows trade - Dahlen. Asplund was chosen with that 2nd and like tweener McCann, Asplund will only amount to a hill if cannellini beans

We could've had Debrincat with the 33rd overall pick.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Boston could have had Barzal, Connor and Boeser with the 14th, 15th and 16th pick.

What do Bostons draft picks during the 2015 draft have to do with how crappy Gudbranson is at playing defence at the NHL level?

Why so sensitive? The former 3rd overall pick was a terrible acquistion, is injury prone and talks the talk but rarely walks the walk.

Captain material.....................................at the AHL level yes, with the big boys hell no.

Can't wait to hear what excuses are conjured up next season to explain how ineffective his play has been.

"My jawline got in the way of my vision, gonna come back stronger and hungrier next season."

Bla Bla Bla, as has been mentioned before, rather have the bulldog on the backend than some Norwegian
drift wood.

Reactions: brokenhole

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Boston could have had Barzal, Connor and Boeser with the 14th, 15th and 16th pick.
I remember thinking what the hell were they doing with their picks but Debrusk has worked out extremely well, and the other 2 had 'decent' starts to their AHL careers. But goes to show no one gets them all right. Just as everyone missed on Pasternak the year prior when he was taken at #25. Seems may here unrealistically believe a GM is supposed to get every pick 'right' else he's a failure. I suppose that means every GM is a failure.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I remember thinking what the hell were they doing with their picks but Debrusk has worked out extremely well, and the other 2 had 'decent' starts to their AHL careers. But goes to show no one gets them all right. Just as everyone missed on Pasternak the year prior when he was taken at #25. Seems may here unrealistically believe a GM is supposed to get every pick 'right' else he's a failure. I suppose that means every GM is a failure.

Please say something about Erik Gudbranson.

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I love how he gets the spotlight.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Here is what CanucksArmy thinks we have in Gudbranson...

Canucks Army Year in Review: Erik Gudbranson

Erik Gudbranson’s merit as a top-four defenceman came into question in the aftermath of his first season as a Vancouver Canuck. Fast forward a year later, and Gudbranson has done little to silence the skepticism.

Gudbranson’s already received his fair share of criticism from the analytics community, but his underlying numbers this season were unparalleled relative to even his standards.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Deryk Engelland and Luca Sbisa can gain redemption as legit NHL d-men in Vegas, there has to be hope for Gudbranson in VanCity. I mean as good as those guys have been, surely Gudbranson has a better basic tool-box than either one of them.

Reactions: biturbo19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad