Player Discussion What do we have in Erik Gudbranson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Jimbo overpaid for Sutter and guddy, then doubled down and resigned to overpriced deals. Gudbranson in particular was a F-U to all his detractors as a show of power just after his extension. It is what it is. Hopefully one of them end up in Seattle. The sooner guddy is gone the better.

Reactions: MarkMM and Pavel96

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If Deryk Engelland and Luca Sbisa can gain redemption as legit NHL d-men in Vegas, there has to be hope for Gudbranson in VanCity. I mean as good as those guys have been, surely Gudbranson has a better basic tool-box than either one of them.

I mean, we're all sitting here watching a Cup Finals team wherein essentially half of their Top-6 is comprised of Brayden McNabb, Deryk Engelland, and Luca Sbisa/Jon Merrill...and we're certain that a guy like Erik Gudbranson can't be a successful component of a winning NHL blueline in today's game? I have zero doubts he's a better player than the majority of that similarly "typed" group at least.

It seems like an awfully contorted bit of mental gymnastics tbh. But at the same time...i think it's become abundantly clear that you need coaching that fits with the players you're trying to install.

Somewhere, there's clearly a disconnect. Between what management want Guddy to be, and what the coaching staff are able to use him as. You have to employ coaches who understand the limitations and abilities of the players you're handing them...and maximize what's there. We haven't had that in a while now, behind the bench.

Meanwhile...i'm supremely confident that you could replace any of Sbisa/Engelland/even McNabb with Gudbranson, and this Vegas team would probably still have similar results.

Coaching and systems are big now. And the more preferences swing in one direction because analytics...the more "value" guys like Gudbranson can potentially be, if they can be paired up with the right partners and system a la Vegas. The more they can potentially become the "underexploited market" stats nerds love to mine. Though unfortunately we've already paid Guddy above value and all that.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I mean, we're all sitting here watching a Cup Finals team wherein essentially half of their Top-6 is comprised of Brayden McNabb, Deryk Engelland, and Luca Sbisa/Jon Merrill...and we're certain that a guy like Erik Gudbranson can't be a successful component of a winning NHL blueline in today's game? I have zero doubts he's a better player than the majority of that similarly "typed" group at least.

It seems like an awfully contorted bit of mental gymnastics tbh. But at the same time...i think it's become abundantly clear that you need coaching that fits with the players you're trying to install.

Somewhere, there's clearly a disconnect. Between what management want Guddy to be, and what the coaching staff are able to use him as. You have to employ coaches who understand the limitations and abilities of the players you're handing them...and maximize what's there. We haven't had that in a while now, behind the bench.

Meanwhile...i'm supremely confident that you could replace any of Sbisa/Engelland/even McNabb with Gudbranson, and this Vegas team would probably still have similar results.

Coaching and systems are big now. And the more preferences swing in one direction because analytics...the more "value" guys like Gudbranson can potentially be, if they can be paired up with the right partners and system a la Vegas. The more they can potentially become the "underexploited market" stats nerds love to mine. Though unfortunately we've already paid Guddy above value and all that.

Well that's the thing. I kept saying all season that the contract McNabb received (4x2.5) was the perfect template for Gudbranson, and it made no sense why he should get more than that. It still doesn't, and McNabb has always had excellent analytics btw. That's at least something in his favor.

Engelland and Sbisa, yeah. That's more of a head-scratcher, but again nobody is lining up to pay them 4x4.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Well that's the thing. I kept saying all season that the contract McNabb received (4x2.5) was the perfect template for Gudbranson, and it made no sense why he should get more than that. It still doesn't, and McNabb has always had excellent analytics btw. That's at least something in his favor.

Engelland and Sbisa, yeah. That's more of a head-scratcher, but again nobody is lining up to pay them 4x4.

Well... Sbisa was making slightly less than that. :( Probably with inflation it's 4 per, if Benning had at it again.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Are we still talking about Gudbranson like we gave up Matthew Barzal and Anthony Beauviller for a Griffin Reinhart (stalwart in the AHL alongside his teammate and Gillis player - Jason Garrison?

McCann - tweener centre

Tweener described - not good enough to be a top 2 centre and not suitable for a bottom 2 centre. Hence - Tweener (gray matter)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Are we still talking about Gudbranson like we gave up Matthew Barzal and Anthony Beauviller for a Griffin Reinhart (stalwart in the AHL alongside his teammate and Gillis player - Jason Garrison?

McCann - tweener centre

Tweener described - not good enough to be a top 2 centre and not suitable for a bottom 2 centre. Hence - Tweener (gray matter)

Yes. The thread is called "what do we have in Erik Gudbranson."

I think you should start listening to CanaFan. Read first, then post.

Last edited:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

McCann - tweener centre

what does this have to do with Gudbranson

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Jimbo overpaid for Sutter and guddy, then doubled down and resigned to overpriced deals. Gudbranson in particular was a F-U to all his detractors as a show of power just after his extension. It is what it is. Hopefully one of them end up in Seattle. The sooner guddy is gone the better.

Lol, now you guys figure he's signing players to piss HF boards hatemobs. No wonder the conjecture here is so enlightening.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Lol, now you guys figure he's signing players to piss HF boards hatemobs. No wonder the conjecture here is so enlightening.

No, I believe Benning really is that stupid and really does think Gudbranson is a good player. That's how dumb our GM is. :cry:

The negative attention he gets may bother his family, but I don't think Benning really cares. First of all I don't think he's smart enough to turn on a computer, but secondly I think he really does think he's making the right moves and that he's smarter than everyone. It's quite tragic when you look at it.

Gudbranson is nothing more than a $4M bottom pair/depth defenseman who is grossly overrated because of his size and his draft position.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

McCann - tweener centre

I had heard McCann was “turning the corner” in the last 20 games of the year.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

McCann - tweener centre

Sven Baertschi scores at a 30 ES point pace from top-line minutes at age 25 - Great acquisition, top-6 forward!

Jake Virtanen scores at a 22 ES point pace from bottom-6 minutes at age 21 - Turned a corner, would rather have him than those soft scorers drafted after him!

Markus Granlund scores at a 29 ES point pace from top-6 minutes in 16-17 - OMG JIM MADE A STEALZ!

Jared McCann scores at a 33 ES point pace from bottom-6 minutes at age 21 - Meh, tweener.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I probably wouldn't trade Virtanen for McCann, but yeah, acting like there is some significant difference between them is laughable and another wonderful demonstration of motivated reasoning, something about which a few people are putting on a clinic lately.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Except Sbisa is still Sbisa in Vegas. He's still terrible. But they're deep enough and their system insulates him somewhat.

Guddy on Vegas is still Guddy.

Engellund does a better job than either of them. That's not a high bar.

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

McCann - tweener centre

I'm more concerned about the high second rounder (33rd overall), which Florida flipped to Buffalo...turned out of be Rasmus Asplund, a 20 year old center who got 28 points in the SHL and plays a feisty game.

But I suppose Jimbo got back Dahlen, who was Ottawa's second-rounder from the same draft. I can live with losing McCann, since the Canucks now seem well stocked with young centers, but the draft picks and the contract overpayment for Gudbranson still stings.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
He had an injury plagued season and the games he played, he was playing through a shoulder injury.It will look like a good trade and signing next year if he can stay healthy.We'll see,the whole team has been injury plagued for the last 3 years.4 mill is probably average salary for top 5 D vet.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
He had an injury plagued season and the games he played, he was playing through a shoulder injury.It will look like a good trade and signing next year if he can stay healthy.We'll see,the whole team has been injury plagued for the last 3 years.4 mill is probably average salary for top 5 D vet.

I don’t think the trade will ever look good. If he can play 75 games and play nasty and play pk while giving the team 19 min a night, the salary won’t look that bad.

As said above the 33rd pick is what really stings in that trade. Benning pissed away way too many picks for average players in their mid to late 20s. It’s asinine. Hargraves is a fan of hoarding picks. Ideally they should be drafting 8-10 times every year at this point of the rebuild.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Did the shoulder injury make his hocket IQ completely vanish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->