Speculation: What changes should be made for this team to be successful?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Im as big a Mafki supporter you'll find on here...and I agree with what you are saying....but there isnt much coming back from something this lame.

If they somehow pull it together and make the playoffs....Im sure the odds of him keeping his job are pretty good.

But Im just done. I can't do this any more. When I get like this about anything....it time to purge.

My problem more stems from the fact that his coach selection rate is horrendous at this point.

If not for a lucky Bruce pull, he's batting a .000.

If they ever went for an old hand, I think the coach could get more out of what they've got. I know that's a GM's fault, but I think some of his ingredients are closer to getting it done than they have.

On the poll, ANYTHING beyond Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson and Alzner would be on the table for me. I might even move Backstrom or Alzner if it came to it, and the return was staggering.

That said, I don't want much of it gone. I'm just saying, if they don't make the playoffs, all bets are off.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Why do 37% want Halak gone? lol, I don't get it.

Unless he's willing to take a 1-year contract (very unlikely), then i want him gone because i still have faith in Holtby and Grubauer. Not to mention that i don't really consider Halak as top-15 starter in the league.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Halak was only acquired to be accommodate a trade request / salary dump. And likely, because of the playoff run thing.

George did acquire Theo, but feel that was done out of desperation. He has options this time. The only way Halak comes back is on the cheap.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
On the poll, ANYTHING beyond Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson and Alzner would be on the table for me. I might even move Backstrom or Alzner if it came to it, and the return was staggering.

That said, I don't want much of it gone. I'm just saying, if they don't make the playoffs, all bets are off.

The poll wording was who should be gone so fence-riding probably doesn't show up. A poll asking "who is untouchable" would probably put a lot more necks on the block.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I also can't believe there are revisionists who want the Hunters.

You realize Dale = No more Ovechkin. No more Backstrom probably.

I think that is far too overly simplistic. Dale has never played a conservative brand of hockey in London. Everyone points to his time in DC and states "he can't coach offensively"

That's bunk.

Dale is a hockey purist, and only wants to win. He doesn't care about anything else, and if you watched his career as a Cap, we should all know that. He simply HATES to lose.

I think he came here 2 seasons ago, saw a totally messed up team, one that had terrible defense, and terrible structure, and knew he had zero chance to win anything that way. He's not some hockey rube....so he saw it better than any of us could (and is now even more obvious w Oates at the helm), and he decided that playing that style was the only way for this team to win. Frankly, He came as close anyone to making it to the ECF....and yet everyone rails against his time here.

He obviously knew George wasn't going to change the team, or change the way he viewed "success" in the NHL, some said "I'm outta here", and ditched. He wasn't going to be stuck with George's "vision" of the franchise.

I think if he had a chance to construct this team over time...they'd have a terrific defense, would cater the offense to 8 and 19 etc, and have a great PP. And the Caps played as hard as I've seen them the past 7 years, for Dale. They certainly played together, and with an edge. Only time I've seen an Ovechkin lead squad play that edgy, as a group.

I'd be more than happy to see the Hunter brothers in charge. I don't think it would look anything like what we saw in 2011-12, save Dale's rough exterior.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
And the Caps played as hard as I've seen them the past 7 years, for Dale. They certainly played together, and with an edge. Only time I've seen an Ovechkin lead squad play that edgy, as a group.

Totally agree with this - bizarre how they can't seem to summon that edge and intensity now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Great Post Rids Simon

Dale was in a real tough spot. Some may say he had a bunch of spoiled brats that he had to mold into a cup winner in half a year. Most fans just wanted to be entertained, and that avenue, was through Ovi. Dale didn't care to entertain you and Ovi got a harsh reality check.

I didn't like that Ovi wasn't out for ENGs late up 2 goals at home. Toss the fans a bone. Dale coached like he played. Hard nosed, he did not give a rats ass about our feelings. Other than that, I deferred to what he thought was best and was one of his few supporters.

It's sad how so many fans of his turned on him and turn a blind eye to the playoff success he had, that I contend were better than Bruce's and his monster teams. For he had us competitive in a 2nd round game 7, and he didn't have us living off of <non-existent> power plays.

You were entertained throughout every minute of every playoff game, since every game was a 1 goal game.

Yet, boring hockey, was the complaint about him. We probably wouldn't have made the playoffs without his boring hockey. The team was and remains, a mess.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

images

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I think that is far too overly simplistic. Dale has never played a conservative brand of hockey in London. Everyone points to his time in DC and states "he can't coach offensively"

That's bunk.

Dale is a hockey purist, and only wants to win. He doesn't care about anything else, and if you watched his career as a Cap, we should all know that. He simply HATES to lose.

I think he came here 2 seasons ago, saw a totally messed up team, one that had terrible defense, and terrible structure, and knew he had zero chance to win anything that way. He's not some hockey rube....so he saw it better than any of us could (and is now even more obvious w Oates at the helm), and he decided that playing that style was the only way for this team to win. Frankly, He came as close anyone to making it to the ECF....and yet everyone rails against his time here.

He obviously knew George wasn't going to change the team, or change the way he viewed "success" in the NHL, some said "I'm outta here", and ditched. He wasn't going to be stuck with George's "vision" of the franchise.

I think if he had a chance to construct this team over time...they'd have a terrific defense, would cater the offense to 8 and 19 etc, and have a great PP. And the Caps played as hard as I've seen them the past 7 years, for Dale. They certainly played together, and with an edge. Only time I've seen an Ovechkin lead squad play that edgy, as a group.

I'd be more than happy to see the Hunter brothers in charge. I don't think it would look anything like what we saw in 2011-12, save Dale's rough exterior.

Totally agree with you regarding Dale Hunter. I loved it when he was behind the bench. Many folks didn't like it because his brand of hockey was the polar opposite of what the Caps had been playing under BB (wide open/emphasis on offense) the few years before his arrival. The distinct departure from that style made many sour on him. To some DH's brand of hockey was not exciting enough, but it was effective.

Just look at some of his personnel moves at the time, bringing in JJ to coach the D (not an accident that SJ quickly swooped in and grabbed JJ after Dale's departure), benching Erskine (knew then he was a plug).

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

As with most replies on this board, logic or analysis does not come into play, rather responses are based on emotions. Just look at the hate/responses for Brouwer and Laich.:shakehead

Whereas Joel Ward only gets two votes:
-because some believe he picks up his game in the playoffs. Analysis this team is not going to get into the playoffs this season. So scratch that for a reason.
-He's good and strong along the boards and corners. This is true, but so are Brouwer and Fehr who also play that same position, are younger and have more term remaining on their contracts.
-Look at he year he's having. He's third in scoring on this team and this is the best season he's ever had. All true and he'll be 34 in December. Said it before and will say it again, he's having a career year this season and I don't expect him to ever produce the numbers that he's producing again. Best time to move him is soon while folks rate him so high based upon the season that he's having.

Team's immediate needs are two top level solid defenseman and two centerman that are solid and good at face offs.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ideally what could we get back for green? A 2nd? I have no idea.

Competent replacement or ~6m cap space + pick are both fine with me.

I do still think that some GM's are willing to take a gamble on him and pay 1st rounder + something.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Great Post Rids Simon

Dale was in a real tough spot. Some may say he had a bunch of spoiled brats that he had to mold into a cup winner in half a year. Most fans just wanted to be entertained, and that avenue, was through Ovi. Dale didn't care to entertain you and Ovi got a harsh reality check.

I didn't like that Ovi wasn't out for ENGs late up 2 goals at home. Toss the fans a bone. Dale coached like he played. Hard nosed, he did not give a rats ass about our feelings. Other than that, I deferred to what he thought was best and was one of his few supporters.

It's sad how so many fans of his turned on him and turn a blind eye to the playoff success he had, that I contend were better than Bruce's and his monster teams. For he had us competitive in a 2nd round game 7, and he didn't have us living off of <non-existent> power plays.

You were entertained throughout every minute of every playoff game, since every game was a 1 goal game.

Yet, boring hockey, was the complaint about him. We probably wouldn't have made the playoffs without his boring hockey. The team was and remains, a mess.

I'd be more than happy to see what the Hunters could do. They are not just "Caps losers" as some would claim. That said, I get the need to move away from Caps history here, as we are not the Oilers or whatnot, but I look at the Hunters in a different light than the rest of them (Oates, Calle, Kolzig), in that they currently run a franchise, and get the bigger picture.

I fully grasp that's London is not an NHL franchise, but they would be insulated with Patrick and Leonsis (and the teams already set up structure), so it's not starting from scratch.

Anyway, probably won't happen, but I'd enjoy it if it did.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Totally agree with you regarding Dale Hunter. I loved it when he was behind the bench. Many folks didn't like it because his brand of hockey was the polar opposite of what the Caps had been playing under BB (wide open/emphasis on offense) the few years before his arrival. The distinct departure from that style made many sour on him. To some DH's brand of hockey was not exciting enough, but it was effective.

Just look at some of his personnel moves at the time, bringing in JJ to coach the D (not an accident that SJ quickly swooped in and grabbed JJ after Dale's departure), benching Erskine (knew then he was a plug).

I just want the Fricking cup. "Entertain this", from where I sit.

Long as George is gone, anything can happen. I will remain optimistic as long as a change is made.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Oh I'd welcome Hunter back. He had his own style that's for sure but they looked like a team. When he got here he didn't have Green and then Backstrom went down shortly after that.

Primarily he held the players accountable and Hunter seemingly got the most out of their abilities both offensively and defensively. And I feel he would have become more offensively oriented but he knew he had to take peepy steps.

Hunter got far more out of his players in a couple of months than Mr. Handedness has gotten out of them in almost 1 1/2 years now. Hunter also had less prep time and learned on the fly while Oates had ample time to watch film and prepare during the lockout.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Competent replacement or ~6m cap space + pick are both fine with me.

I do still think that some GM's are willing to take a gamble on him and pay 1st rounder + something.

So you're basically willing to give the guy away? That's not how you turn around a franchise. Teams would be lining up to give him a fresh start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad