Speculation: What changes should be made for this team to be successful?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I messed up my votes pretty badly lol.

Interesting to see so many people voting McPhee off the island, but not Fishman - implying that either they're ok with Fishman as the next GM, or they just didn't think it through enough (like me).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As much as I think Green is a dud nowadays I did not vote him off the island. But that's only because I DID select the GM, HC and defensive coach and would like to see if the right people can get him going again. Not holding my breath, but still.

Otherwise, Beagle, Erskine, Volpatti, MJ90, Hillen...I've seen enough, you're cut.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Interesting to see so many people voting McPhee off the island, but not Fishman - implying that either they're ok with Fishman as the next GM, or they just didn't think it through enough (like me).

I would assume a new GM that's not Fishman would select the rest of his staff, especially his assistant. And if he's the legal guy I don't know how much he actually factors into the team decisions beyond contract law. Maybe others have heard rumors or have theories...but do we know any facts?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

I probably want Patrick and Fishman gone, but I don't have a good enough sense of what they actually do all day, so didn't vote for either. Just not sufficiently knowledgable.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The_Weakest_Link_PSX.jpg

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Halak was the one I had to think about the most, probably. On one hand I think he's better than Holtby, but on the other I think if they're going with Holtby as the main guy going forward, having a 1A/1B situation is not going to help him at all.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I probably want Patrick and Fishman gone, but I don't have a good enough sense of what they actually do all day, so didn't vote for either. Just not sufficiently knowledgable.

Same. Plus how realistic is it that Patrick is gone? Much less than the others, however unrealistic they may be to begin with.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

I don't see that as the implication at all. I see him as an accountant. He doesn't make personnel decisions, he just follows McPhee's lead. I see him as a guy who I'd leave it up to the next GM to decide on.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Also noticed that the Caps have a director of amateur scouting, but no equivalent pro scouting position. There is a director of scouting operations which could be that, but it's pretty unclear. Could go a long way to explaining why their pro scouting is horribad. Also they only have 3 pro scouts (though not sure how that compares to the rest of the league).

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I don't see that as the implication at all. I see him as an accountant. He doesn't make personnel decisions, he just follows McPhee's lead. I see him as a guy who I'd leave it up to the next GM to decide on.

Fair point, but do we really know that his role is that limited, and that he wouldn't be a potential promotion from within?

Liberati0n*

Uh, yeah, being fired and being promoted aren't the only two possibilities. :help:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I didn't know gone also meant the option of being sent to Hershey. If that was clarified in the poll I would have voted for Wilson and Carrick to be in Hershey

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Yeah, the polls are a little limited. I could have added separate options for trade and demotion/development, but the list was already super long as it was.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Not sure why, but I lol'd.

I didn't know gone also meant the option of being sent to Hershey. If that was clarified in the poll I would have voted for Wilson and Carrick to be in Hershey

Oh... yeah. I got Carrick to Hershey but not Wilson. Good call.

Although, he's spent the whole year here already. With sane coaching he might actually have developed. Not sure a demotion on the heels of year spent with Beagle and Volpatti is good for his development at this point. Maybe new coaches use him better.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Any defenseman not named Carlson or Alzner should be gone.

Any forward other than Backstrom, Ovechkin, Grabovski, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Ward or Chimera. The rest are expendible to me.

I expect that a new General manager would have the capability to expunge the unwanted for fair-ish value.

Also, it would be nice if we could bring the talent level of our Hershey squad up a tick or two so that injuries don't completely steam roll a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad