Speculation: What changes should be made for this team to be successful?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
New:
#2 D
#4 D
2nd line RW
1st line LW
4th line LW
Reliable (preferably veteran) backup
Head coach
D coach
Goalie coach
GM

Some of the needs mentioned above can be dressed inside the system (Kuznetsov, Wilson, Burakovsky, Barber?, Bowey?), but if you are thinking about changes that would make the team better now then it's too early for any of those excluding Kuznetsov. As it seems right now that this season is over after that California trip i'd suggest heavily trying Kuznetsov and Wilson in those forward spots because it's going to cost a leg and an arm to trade for proven NHL'ers in those positions.

Hersh

Oct 16, 2013
New GM and Coaching staff to start. Nothing else really matters unless that happens.

Need to resign Grabovski
Add a top-6 LW
Add a defensive-minded top-4 blueliner
Add a 3C

Kuznetsov and Wilson should be top-6 players next year.
Chimera and Ward need a solid center on the third line.
Fourth line can consist of Beagle, Wellman and whomever else.

Brouwer, Laich, Fehr, MoJo and Mike Green are all expendable.

Hersh

Oct 16, 2013
Because he would be a perfect 3rd line RW.

Correct and to add to that we have a real good one in Ward who works great with Chimera.

I think there are other players on the roster more than capable of scoring in the slot on the PP and Brouwer doesn't really create his own scoring chances. I definitely keep Ward over Brouwer at this point and Wilson needs more minutes. Thus, someone has got to go.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
At this point?

The entire front office (excluding Ross Mahoney and some of the scouts) should be let go.

Find a coach. I have no idea who. Just anyone buy Oates and his crew.

As for the roster...

1. Trade Green for whatever you can get.
2. Fix the defense. Once Green is shipped out....find a 2RD to play with Orlov (if he even resigns at this point). Improve the 3rd pairing.
3. Find a ****ing position for Mojo. Is he a center or a wing? Set that **** in stone.

Aside from that...some minor tinkering here and there and they will still be a decent team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
brouwer bash I am not up for. trading brouwer to keep ward and to open a spot in the lineup for Wilson, I am fine with. I enjoyed watching Wilson and Kuznetsov together last night much moreso than watching Ov with Beagle.

I am not in favor of trading Green but if he is not going to be on the 1st pp unit, then keeping him is a waste of time.

I am over Oates. Replacing McPhee is fine. I think all of that is deck chairs though. The Caps are who they are and will need something special to happen to get them over the hump they have built for themselves over their history and added on to in the OV era.

If you really want them to win, I would clean house in the front office and then trade the former young guys for a reset. That includes 8.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
As with all professional sports-it starts and ends with the GM.This is
paramount.(Snyder is still clueless,obviously)
I would also like to see real leadership on the ice-I havent seen that
in several season for the Caps.
The rest should follow.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
change from the top down.

cant miss the playoffs and bring back GMGM and Oates.

Let the new staff try to fix the roster that is still full of talent.

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
Why is Brouwer so expendable? do 20 goal scorers grow on trees?

IMO, just like someone above said, he is a 3RW and the caps already have Ward for that. Brouwer is not meant for the top 6 and IMO is pretty bad in that role.

Most of his success has been on the PP the past few years, and the caps have other guys that can be in that spot....Fehr (who IMO has a nicer shot than Brouwer) Ward maybe even Wilson when he develops a little more.

But just like someone else said, once they get a new GM everything else should work out.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Why is Brouwer so expendable? do 20 goal scorers grow on trees?

Yes, they do. There are 52 right now in the league, and another 24 within 2 goals. There's likely to be upwards of 90 league-wide at the end of the season. There were 101 in 2011-12.

20 goal scorers aren't rare, at all.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Fire Oates today. Let GMGM take over behind bench for remainder of the season.

Take the reins off. If we're going to allow the other team easy entries into our zone and leave our goalie hung out to dry constantly, -- which we do now -- let's at least get some offensive pressure for it. Revert to Boudreau post-Hanlon: attack, attack, attack - 2 guys into forecheck, D jumping into rush and taking puck deep. It seems to be the only way this "core" can play with any energy and commitment.

It very probably won't work. But that will provide the final impetus to can GMGM, blow this team up and find some guys who can play with intensity and dedication when we are defending, or don't have the puck, or are at 5x5. In the meantime, it will be a helluva lot more entertaining than this passive, territory-surrendering, gouge-your-eyeballs-unwatchable "scheme" that Oates has instilled.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Dump George. Get new GM and Lavs. Calle and Kolzig need to piss off.

Trade MoJo and Green. Erskine and Hillen need to disappear. Carrick needs to be removed from the NHL. Beagle can go away.

Re-sign Grabo and Penner and add the absolute two best Dman they can get their hands on. I don't care if the 1st or a prospect has to go in trade and there's plenty of FA money. Lavs will do the rest.

Penner-Backstrom-Ov
Kuz-Grabo-Brouwer
Chim-Laich-Ward
Fehr-Latta-Wilson
(Brown, Volp)

Alzner-Carlson
newD-newD
Orlov-Schmidt
(Ole)

Holtby
Vet

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Get a new competent GM, the rest falls in place. New coaching staff is assumed if we get a new GM.

Oates/Calle= terrible.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
GM and all the coaches. We still have a formidable players crew, especially if player actually play their positions.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
House cleaning of management to include the coaching staff.

Personnel changes involve moving MAJO/Green/Erskine/Ward, that's 13 million dollars in salary right there. MAJO will be a RFA after next season while the other three will be UFAs after next season

Ward is having a career season. Currently has 18 goals and 37 points, the highest of his career. This is a career season for him and I highly doubt that he'll produce like this again. Trade him while his value is at its highest. You are trading from strength, the right wing position. Trading Ward should allow Wilson to get more ice time with the Caps next season. Retaining Ward then Wilson needs to go to Hershey for the ice time.

Defense wins championships. Caps need to focus on obtaining two sound top level defensive defensemen. In addition the Caps need to obtain a center that can play both 2nd/3rd lines.

Kuznetsov - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Laich - Grabovski - Brouwer
Fehr - _________ - Wilson
Chimera - Latta/Beagle - Brown

__________ - ____________
Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - ____________
Olesky

Holtby - __________

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
GM is the obvious answer. Nothing personal, but the abysmal record in personnel decisions speaks for itself.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
brouwer bash I am not up for. trading brouwer to keep ward and to open a spot in the lineup for Wilson, I am fine with. I enjoyed watching Wilson and Kuznetsov together last night much moreso than watching Ov with Beagle.

I am not in favor of trading Green but if he is not going to be on the 1st pp unit, then keeping him is a waste of time.

I am over Oates. Replacing McPhee is fine. I think all of that is deck chairs though. The Caps are who they are and will need something special to happen to get them over the hump they have built for themselves over their history and added on to in the OV era.

If you really want them to win, I would clean house in the front office and then trade the former young guys for a reset. That includes 8.

You don't need a wholesale sell off to correct the direction.

1. You need an owner to finally decide an average team with spurts of excellence isn't good enough.
2. You need a GM who will address all of the short comings of this team and also not accept mediocrity. He'll trade players who don't perform or stash them in the minors.
3. You need a coach that will hold everyone accountable for their performance and not be afraid to sit someone to send them a message. Play correctly or sit on the bench and watch.

Hazamat the Ocelot

Jul 7, 2013
1. Fire GMGM and coaching staff
2. Get rid of: Laich, Erskine, Hillen
3. Sign a goal scoring winger and top 2 dman
4. Trade Brouwer for Gorges

Mojo-Backy-OV
Kuzya-Grabo-Goal scoring winger (Gaborik, Vrbata)
Wilson-Fehr-Chimera/Ward
Latta-Beagle-Chimera/Ward
Wellman

Carlzner
Green-Dman (Markov?)
Orlov-Gorges

Holtby
Halak if he stays at his current salary, otherwise, Grub.

Side note: Winger signing I gave 6.5 mil, D signing I gave 6.75 mil. All in all, there is about 600k in cap. (based on the projected 71 mil for next year)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad