Post-Game Talk: whale

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The answer is that teams average a goal per minute against empty nets.

I can't imagine a scenario beyond "imminently losing anyway" where that's worth it.

Which I guess is my point. Either it's something that should be considered strategically throughout a game rather than in the final 90 seconds, or it should just be ignored. It's like there's a un-written rule that you have to pull your goalie when down late regardless of the logic surrounding it

Reactions: mas0764

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Which I guess is my point. Either it's something that should be considered strategically throughout a game rather than in the final 90 seconds, or it should just be ignored. It's like there's a un-written rule that you have to pull your goalie when down late regardless of the logic surrounding it
No, yeah, I see what you're saying.

If they wouldn't do it normally, why do they think it's ok with three ass minutes left?

Reactions: mike14

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I am confident that we have a strong forward pipeline. I do not like the way we are handling them. Just no stupid trades for playoff success.

That pipeline will be here in a year or 2. I have no such concerns with the forward depth. Guys like Hunt, McKegg, Gauthier will not be anywhere near the top 9 in the near future. We also have a plethora of picks and assets to add even more forward depth either at deadline or off season. Im ok with adding at deadline as long as it makes sense.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Georgiev is the opposite of whatever Clutch is and his teammates know it too. It's criminal that Drury is just sitting on his hands demanding a 1st or a 2nd (lol) for him at this point.

Surely there's no way Drury thinks he can get a 2nd for Georgiev is there?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Chytil should be lining up with other offensive players; Bread and Strome. The third line should be (without Kakko) Barron, Goodrow and Gauthier. Then we have a 4th line with whoever he wants to dress. I am agnostic about the other guys, although Mckegg is clearly the worst of the lot. Hunt, Rooney and Reaves is not a bad 4th line. With that lineup, you have the chance to score with your top 6, generate chances with ur 3rd line and let the 4th line do what they do for 9 - 11 minutes. This dope put Hunt and Reaves out with the goalie pulled; cmon.
Yeah putting those guys out there at the end was very dumb, I guess that was one of those hunch moments all coaches get. I’m fine with Goodrow and Barron on the third line, Gauthier, send him home to Montreal for a plate of poutine. Chytil you have more confidence in him than me. He’s been here what 4 years now? Or 5? And he’s way too inconsistent due to his lack of vision in my opinion.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Surely there's no way Drury thinks he can get a 2nd for Georgiev is there?

I mean, they demanded a 1st for him in like 2020. Probably down to a 2nd in 2021. Not sure what the asking price is at this point.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To play devil's advocate on Georgiev:

1) Who's going in? Like, I know a lot of posters hate Georgiev because he beat up their dad but Kinkaid is a waaaay below replacement-level goalie and always has been. We don't actually have anyone better.

2) How do we get anyone better? Spending assets on a goalie is the opposite of the tits. Goergiev is not costing us a playoff spot nor is he playing in the playoffs. There's an argument to be made about workload earlier in the season, but is backup goalie even a position worth improving going into March?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I'm here hoping Drury has the balls of steel that Yzerman has to do whatever the hell he thinks is best regardless of what anyone think and that he'll trade Strome and upgrade at the deadline even if he's glued to Panarin and well liked and whatever but we'll probably just end up with some over the hill veteran at the deadline.

He is not trading Strome but he can still make this team better and not give up top picks or prospects.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
That pipeline will be here in a year or 2. I have no such concerns with the forward depth. Guys like Hunt, McKegg, Gauthier will not be anywhere near the top 9 in the near future. We also have a plethora of picks and assets to add even more forward depth either at deadline or off season. Im ok with adding at deadline as long as it makes sense.
You have to give to get. Are you giving up one of our top 10 prospects at the deadline? Cause I'm not.

Reactions: mas0764

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021

1) Who's going in? Like, I know a lot of posters hate Georgiev because he beat up their dad but Kinkaid is a waaaay below replacement-level goalie and always has been. We don't actually have anyone better.

2) How do we get anyone better? Spending assets on a goalie is the opposite of the tits. Goergiev is not costing us a playoff spot nor is he playing in the playoffs. There's an argument to be made about workload earlier in the season, but is backup goalie even a position worth improving going into March?
Geo is a bad backup, but when he is inserted and he knows he is likely playing the next game, he performs. Very strange.

Reactions: Cmox

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas

Tampa has no problem riding Vas. Why can’t we ride Igor?

Reactions: egelband

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
We would have won if Chytil played instead of McKegg.
Sarcasm? If so, inserting Chytil and playing him on the 2nd line, gives us two lines with at least 6 guys with skill even if they disappoint us sometimes. Dryden Hunt cannot play on a scoring line. Chytil has a dynamite shot. If he was given the opportunities Kreider had tonight, I'm guessing we would have scored more than we did. He is getting a bad rap here after being completely mishandled by Gallant.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Geo is a bad backup, but when he is inserted and he knows he is likely playing the next game, he performs. Very strange.
He needs to get into a rhythm to be successful. We need a guy that has more of a backup mentality and has done that work before.

We can get him in the offseason for free instead of literally wasting assets on it now for like, what are we looking at here, 4-6 more games?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Georgiev is so frustrating and I can't wait for him to not drive me insane anymore, but there's not much to do. Let him play 5 more games this year and then he's gone. It is what it is.

That said tonight wasn't on him. The team has pretty major flaws which we all are aware of and tonight was one of those nights that exposed them.

Things I was encouraged by:
Lafreniere's play
Fox also had a really nice bounce-back game
Jones made some poor decisions but also is really starting to flash what he can do...I get that he is not the ideal fit down the stretch but hope they play the long game and be patient with him
Panarin actually tried to attack the net after crossing the blue line...baby steps, I'll take it

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Can Gallant leave Georgiev’s bags on the curb and make Geo wait for a taxi just like Florida did to Gallant. Stick a fork in Georgiev, he’s done here in NYC.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Agreed, now Gorton should have moved him years ago, but that's not worth talking about anymore. The Rangers are going to be the 2 or 3 seed, and if Igor stays healthy, Geo is going to play probably 3-4 more games, and it's really not going to cost the Rangers anything.

If Igor gets hurt, it won't matter if it's Geo, Kinkaid, Greiss, Martin Jones, me, you or anyone else in net, the team will go no where.

Reactions: Machinehead

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Why would you pull your goalie early in the game? It makes no sense. The point of doing it late is that if you give up a goal it has a negligible affect on your win probability since the game is basically over anyway. If you do it early and give yo a goal it makes a huge difference. Pulling the goalie increases both GF and GA but GA more. It’s a move done to increase variance which is what you want when losing at the end of a game. It’s not something you want early in a game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad