Post-Game Talk: whale

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Laffy should be bumped up to PP1.

McKegg still in is brain dead.

Man... I can't stand Georgiev's face. Can't wait until he's gone.

3 Keys to success. Shesty didn't play, Fox doesn't look Foxy and our PP didn't score.
Panarin and Fox might both be dealing with effects of some lingering injury tbh.
I’m sure their not the only 2, but they are def off a bit.
The 2nd/3rd lines should be revamped going into the playoff and for sure by next season....
I think strome and Geo both need to be replaced tbh.
Strome isn’t going anywhere until the end of the year, and Geo isn’t helping his trade value..

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Strome shouldn’t be here for the playoffs. Plain and simple.
It will be interesting to see what Drury does . I fully agree with moving on from Strome ASAP and recoup anything of value...if he is expected to be a 6 million guy for other clubs....lets entertain some offers . He must have value...must be a contender wanting forward depth in the West now that Calgary has added Toffoli . Our room will live on without him and be OK in the Fall .

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It will be interesting to see what Drury does . I fully agree with moving on from Strome ASAP and recoup anything of value...if he is expected to be a 6 million guy for other clubs....lets entertain some offers . He must have value...must be a contender wanting forward depth in the West now that Calgary has added Toffoli . Our room will live on without him and be OK in the Fall .
Problem is, if you deal Strome, you need to bring back a 2nd line center. Drury isn't going to kill the team's depth so we get swept in the playoffs. So if we do trade Strome, fully expect Drury to go after Miller (or someone else).

Hope you can get a 1st for Strome, and use that first + to grab a replacement.

IMO it's much more likely that Strome is here with us still after the deadline.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Bump in the road in this long season. Did not see any quit in this team. Made it interesting at the end
3 games in 4 days (2 of which were extremely emotional).
Georgiev needs to not see ice for the Rangers again. Gives up goals at the most inoppotune times.
Ran into 2 very hot goalies. A couple of days off and on to better thing’s against a very good team.
Yes, absolutely. But here's a HOT take for you all. The scheduling has been pathetic for us. No games for weeks, a game or 2, off 3 freaking days and then 3 in 4.
Point is NO continuity. 3 in 4 is tough for any team BUT, there def are lingering things going on with team, that has been hard to overcome. Georgie being one of them. Addition by subtraction. Would wager big $$, nearly everyone on team would support Kinkaid with better play than Georgiev. Not saying they're not trying, but.......the kill for your goalie attitude isn't there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wtp99

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Kevin Rooney 1 goal in his last 31 games

Morgan Barron 0 goals in 12 games

Julien Gauthier 3 goals in 40 games

Greg McKegg 1 goal in 33 games

Ryan Reaves 2 goals in 46 games

Dryden Hunt 3 goals in 48 games

This is what happens when Lias is a bust sitting in the pressbox for the Kings, Kakko misses two months, Chytil is eating popcorn in the pressbox, Krav is in Russia, and the best player in Hartford is Johnny The Body.

Our bottom 6 next season should like Blais -Barron-Goodrow and a combo of Reaves 60 % and a couple of Rooney/Richards /Gauthier/Gettinger/Hunt and possibly a robust young fellow willing to assume Reaves duties which he has forgotten....a firecracker which we could have used yesterday in the first period to get us going . We cannot just have Blais as the only ....go through the end wall type of player . We need a couple of more upset the apple cart types of guys . I like Gauthier but....he likely can return a guy like that in a deal as he does not have that in his arsenal ...never did and never will . Hunt is a guy who can be our McKegg next season . Reaves needs to be limited by a lot . Maybe Cuylee can be a good 4th liner...young and hopefully willing ?

Reactions: egelband

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Laf is the only positive thing tonight and its a big plus. He could’ve had 4 points tonight. It makes the loss a smidgen better.
Yeah...I expected the loss . It happens and you know the pulse of the club and then Georgiev back there . We are far from a complete club but still do well on account of our PP and Shesty and accumulate points . We likely open on the rd against Penguins in playoffs . If we win we did great...if we lose ...so be it . I don't mind as long as any moves are made to make us better long term like as in next season or the one after and not some knee jerk moves ordered by our owner . Keep the faith guys !!!

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Who else does he have to work with? Yeah I agree about some of the decisions but who? Chytil should be in over McKegg that’s a given, but let’s not act like Chytil is the answer either. He’s on his way out sooner rather than later because he hasn’t taken the next step after several years now. He is what he is at this point, good skater that lacks vision, isn’t physical for his size, tries to deke everyone and repeatedly turns it over. Outside of Chytil being scratched, this team has some serious depth issues which is why you see all of these scrubs out there. Kakko will be back eventually but he’s another one that doesn’t move the needle. His skating sucks, and he’s too passive. Krapsoft? Will be run back to Russia if he gets scratched or benched by Gallant? I think Krapsoft lost the respect of the locker room.
This. The "answers" on this team aren't great answers. I know Kakko was better before the injury and clearly played much worse after sustaining it... but he wasn't THAT good and certainly not much of a scoring threat prior. Chytil as you mentioned is what he is at this pt. Kravtsov isn't coming back and IF he did, he's not physical enough to be anything except a wanna be top-liner who'd be relegated to the 3rd line at best.

Any moves that are made (Other than weaponizing our cap space this season) should be made for the near future and NOT just for a rental(s). We're not bargain bin shopping or blindly spending quality assets for someone who'll be here for 3-4 months and we're still done after Rd1

Reactions: Paulie Walnutz

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't think our offense or defense are a problem, just going through a rough skid. Team has been great all year, they'll get back on track. What I'm concerned about is Georgiev.

Coin flip loss to PIT where Jarry stood on his head and a tough loss to VAN as the 3rd game in 4 days that included travel. I also thought they played well enough to be winning that game when it was 2-0 Canucks. Demko. Pucks arent going in right now but theyve been pretty consistently solid 5v5 since the break. The teams issue is its lack of depth & backup goalie, but thats nothing new.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Our bottom 6 next season should like Blais -Barron-Goodrow and a combo of Reaves 60 % and a couple of Rooney/Richards /Gauthier/Gettinger/Hunt

You need another player or two that can score in that bottom 6. That Blais Barron Goodrow line is a good fourth line.

Reactions: tomobson

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
We faced two really sharp netminders this past weekend. You could sense the playoffs are near. Everyone fighting for a playoff spot, or a rise in the standings. Things are only going to get tougher going forward.

I'm not really concerned about making the playoffs. If we play .500 hockey the rest of the way, we're in. But what we do in the playoffs is another story. We are gonna need more scoring off deflections, tip ins, off skates and bodies, more really greasy goals, if we are gonna compete with these sharp goalies in the playoffs.

Or maybe some more Laffy one-timers. Wow was that nice. Love how Zibad returned the favor after Laffy's drop pass the other night. They are starting to build some chemistry. Couldn't come at a better time.

But on the other hand, something is off with Panarin and Strome. They got on the board last night, but they are way off their usual game. Maybe they are injured or not a 100%. We'll see if they get any maintenance days.

Last edited:

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
You need another player or two that can score in that bottom 6. That Blais Barron Goodrow line is a good fourth line.
You also have a salary cap that has to be aligned with any new additions and you also need money to operate through the season . We are somewhat limited to our existing bottom 6 additions when most are penciling in a new back up goalie and a couple of new forwards in the top 6 . You cannot have guys making huge money in the top 6 along with overpaying bottom 6 guys . Our bottom six probably has to figure out at 8 million TOPS !!!

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Man Georgiev was fighting it. He's all over the crease. Angles were off. Took him a bit to settle down, if he ever really did.

That one goal against, I think the second - he had no idea the puck beat him and where it was afterwards. He thought it hit the post or something and he turned around to locate it.

I expected him not be sharp but man. What a contrast in focus between Georgiev and Igor.

With Demko on the other side making save after save, this game in particular showed how important it is to get quality goaltending and while I dont think anyone is really taking Igor for granted - its such a luxury to have him back there and not have fear that any shot at any time could go in.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Yeah...I expected the loss . It happens and you know the pulse of the club and then Georgiev back there . We are far from a complete club but still do well on account of our PP and Shesty and accumulate points . We likely open on the rd against Penguins in playoffs . If we win we did great...if we lose ...so be it . I don't mind as long as any moves are made to make us better long term like as in next season or the one after and not some knee jerk moves ordered by our owner . Keep the faith guys !!!
I think all of us would like to see some sort of playoff run. But with our young group, the experience gained will likely be of more importance. But then again, the more games they play this postseason, the more experience they will get.

Reactions: leetch99

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
What was the answer to the trivia quiz last night?

Mess and Miller?

Mess and Naslund?

EdJova and Tob?

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Im not going to put a lot of stock into last night's game. I missed the first two period and from what I have read, it seems like rangers started losing their legs. Ironically, we actually beat them in the underlying stats last night. Twice in a row we got goalie'd hard while playing pretty good 5v5.

The 3rd line is our main issue because we got reaves rooney goodrow and thats a good 4th line. Essentially, same as most season, we have 2 4th lines. If we are going to upgrade, make it a top 6 player to play on the 3rd and drive that line. Whoever we get, i hope they are good at 5v5. At this point, if he's cheap, i think you buy low on kessel and hope he thrives here. He's playing top six mins in az on an abysmal team, so us slotting him onto the 3rd should keep him fresh.

I rarely see barron out there but when I do, his defense is good, but the offense isnt there. Maybe paired with a play driver would do wonders. Mckegg is an ahl player imo. Yea he can pk, but we have plenty of those type of players. Rooney and hunt can take up his time.

I think, either this season or the next, we have to start signing these former star players who are old to cheap deals. The experience alone is worth it because at the age of 34/35, they've been around the block and want to teach the youngins. Look at spezza on the leafs. Look at joe for the puddy cats. Perry for the stars, habs, and now the lightning. They might not be gamebreakers anymore but with limited minutes, they produce (save for joe, mans is too old, and honestly same for chara). Look at corey perry, who went to a ton of scf and had a cup win in '06 (correct me on the date if im wrong). I dont care when, but them making 1 million is better than mckegg making a million.

The thing the rangers have to do is prove they can compete. To do this, they have to win a round in the playoffs and show the league we are for real. That attracts the former stars. At this point, they just want a cup. Look at reaves and the change he has had on the locker room. Sure, he's super slow but goddammit can he make some nice plays and every game, he just runs people down and in a clean manner. Im talking about him just beating up hughes the whole night yesterday. Mans is like 3rd in the league in hits, is a big brother to baby rangers, and is cheap. We need more of that, just someone who actually had more than 20 points in a season lol.

If you want player development, play your kids with players who became something. Mckegg will teach you to stay in the lineup, but can he impart any scoring knowledge? Can he come up with an offensive scheme? No.

Our youth reflects our feelings that this team got ripe earlier than expected and thats not bad. We have more assets than most teams in playoff positions. We have more cap space than the whole ec playoff teams combined. Make it work. Dont pay through the ass, but dont sit with your chips when your team is feeling good about themselves.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Can Gallant leave Georgiev’s bags on the curb and make Geo wait for a taxi just like Florida did to Gallant. Stick a fork in Georgiev, he’s done here in NYC.
I have a better (Evil) idea. Trade him to Carolina, so he can buddy up with Tony. Throw in Tinordi and Nemeth to show Carolina ther's no hard feelings about Adam Fox. Yeah, we owe them.....so, do the right thing. :arr:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If we eliminated the everyday humdrum rinse and repeat

1. Strome negativity, (he has rocks in his head, etc.)
2. We need a 2c, and a couple RW's
3. McKegg experiment is over
4. Too much McKegg
5. Behind in game, why are we playing our 4th line?
6. Georgiev sucks and is a horrible teammate. Needs to be gone.

Even though all of the above is true, the fact is that there would be at least 50% less content here. Is there a way to ignore such comments similar to ignoring people here?

P.S. If anyone told me that we would be where we are, enjoying this record and PO's imminent this soon....I would have told them they were nuts. I'm not gonna nitpick, just wish everyone else would follow. Would be better reading.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Is Georgie as bad a teammate as many like to think he is ? I know during one stoppage he bum tapped his two defenseman for saving possibly a goal....so he was showing his thanks.....that does not sound like a bad teammate IMO.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Panarin and Fox might both be dealing with effects of some lingering injury tbh.
I’m sure their not the only 2, but they are def off a bit.
The 2nd/3rd lines should be revamped going into the playoff and for sure by next season....
I think strome and Geo both need to be replaced tbh.
Strome isn’t going anywhere until the end of the year, and Geo isn’t helping his trade value..
His trade has been low since the fall. They're going to get very little for him. Strome likely leaves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad