Salary Cap: Wet Hot Canadian Sutter (Is No More)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I will laugh and laugh when Plotnikov doesn't do well in a top 6 role, and plays possibly worse then Kunitz. Then I will cry. The only reason he is getting penciled in the top 6 is because hes Russian. There is zero reason to think he will do well in that role.

Oh ye of little faith!

He's not a young prospect, but he's not beyond prospect status either. He has some upside, imo.

But most of all, he's 6-2, 205 pounds. We've needed this since Ryan Malone's rights were traded along with Gary Roberts' to Tampa Bay.

He fills a need. He's penciled in for the same reasons people were penciling Alexei Ponikarovsky in, or Daniel Winnik, or why Ruslan Fedotenko became a legend in Dan Bylsma's beady little eyes.

If he and Geno click, that would be fantastic for this franchise.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I will laugh and laugh when Plotnikov doesn't do well in a top 6 role, and plays possibly worse then Kunitz. Then I will cry. The only reason he is getting penciled in the top 6 is because hes Russian. There is zero reason to think he will do well in that role.

racist?

he played on a line with ovechkin at the wc. that's why people want him in the top six

no matter what he will not be worse than kunitz

everyone will be fine if he's better off on the third line

shut up

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Haven't seen Polak play since his days in St. Louis really. Anyone who's seen him think he'd be an upgrade over Lovejoy? In theory I think a bottom 4 of Pouliot-Polak and Dumoulin-Cole would be pretty solid.
He is better, but makes 2 million more so its pointless.

Lovejoy isnt bad on a bottom pairing, as long as he doesnt have Scuds next to him.
Is it possible to trade Kunitz, Sutter, Scuds for a decent Defensemen? Then sign Semin, Fehr, Weiss,Upshall all on 1 year deals. Chicago wins with 4 scoring lines we can do it too:)

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Semin - Malkin - Kessel
Plotnikov - Fehr - Dupuis
Upshall-Weiss-Bennett

Not for one piece. Just pawn them off for picks in different places and then do this.

Perron-Crosby-Horny
Plot-Malkin-Kessel
Dupuis-Santorelli-Beau
Wilson-Goc-Sundy
Farnham

Maatta-Letang
Cole-Franson
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Dumo

Fleury
Zatkoff

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
So what teams specifically are trading for Scuderi (never going to happen), Kunitz and Sutter, are willing to give up picks, and don't require the Pens taking back a contract or salary?

Kunitz for a 7th is a really stupid idea; dislike of Kunitz is clouding people's judgment.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
I don't think anyone is advocating getting rid of Kunitz for a 7th. Scuderi on the other hand, is a different story...

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I don't think anyone is advocating getting rid of Kunitz for a 7th. Scuderi on the other hand, is a different story...

Slight exaggeration but several posters would prefer to give Kunitz away:

Trading Kunitz for anything we can get is the best case scenario. I don't even care if we get a 7th for him, he's useless on this team now. He's got no place in the top six, and isn't a bottom six player. Move him.

Scuderi, the Pens couldn't give away for a 7th. If the Pens are lucky they could get a 7th if they package Scuderi with a pick or prospect (3rd round) and retained salary.

Teams don't want to take on multi-year multi-million contracts. Scuderi being old and not very good and having a NTC only makes the situation worse.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

What if the deal was Kunitz and Scuderi for a 7th? Kunitz positive value balances Scuds negative value.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
What if the deal was Kunitz and Scuderi for a 7th? Kunitz positive value balances Scuds negative value.

What team is going to take on over $7M in cap and whatever the real salary is for two years and wants Kunitz enough to take Scuderi?

4 teams have some space but have an internal cap (ANA, OTT, CAR, NSH). 4 teams have space but still have signings for this year or major signings next year (OTT, NSH, WSH, WPG). 1 team has cap space but doesn't really have roster space and wants to play its youth (FLA)

That leaves - NJD, ARI, BUF, COL, NYI.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm muttering crazily to myself as much as to you :)

But you know what? I can tolerate Kunitz on any line, but if they trot him out instead of PH or Kessel on the 1st PP, that's when I lose it.

Other day, one of the people covering the Pens said the powerplay is set in stone other than at the point, where Letang isn't necessarily a long-term lock over DP. Forget who said this, but it was Kessel, 71, 72, 87 and then one of DPouliot or KL.

But I agree. There are no perfect fits on left wing, so I won't be throwing a tantrum if 14 starts on one of the top two lines (I'll save that until I see what Plotnikov and Perron look like after a month or two). If he bumps 72 off unit 1, I'll explode, though, sight unseen.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This Kunitz, Sutter and Scuderi "love to trade away, triangle", has really lost its luster.

top12-ugh.gif

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Well... If we see Duper with Crosby i might think Sid would have pulled some strings because i remember MJ or JR saying Duper would have to adapt to a different role & i think he did mention putting him on a 3rd line.

That was JR.

Duper could look better than Kessel and I wouldn't put him above that third line at least for two months. I don't want to see the guy collapse dead in his 23rd minute of ice time in a game in October.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Oh ye of little faith!

He's not a young prospect, but he's not beyond prospect status either. He has some upside, imo.

But most of all, he's 6-2, 205 pounds. We've needed this since Ryan Malone's rights were traded along with Gary Roberts' to Tampa Bay.

He fills a need. He's penciled in for the same reasons people were penciling Alexei Ponikarovsky in, or Daniel Winnik, or why Ruslan Fedotenko became a legend in Dan Bylsma's beady little eyes.

If he and Geno click, that would be fantastic for this franchise.

Playing with Malkin is much more about fit than pure skill or abilities. There's reason to believe he will succeed with Malkin for the same reasons Malone and Kunitz excelled with Malkin. Plotnikov's skill sets and strengths play into what makes wings successful with Malkin. Much of a same reasons we wanted Kulemin so bad.

Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel could work for the same reasons Kulemin-Malkin-Neal could have work for the same reasons Kunitz-Malkin-Neal worked for same reason Malone-Malkin-Sykora worked.

Am I saying he's a bonfide NHL Top6 wing, no of course not. Not yet anyway. But there's reasons to believe he would do well with Malkin.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
anyone else think Sutter to the Kings is a late-summer possibility, pending a team-favorable outcome to the Mike Richards situation? Guessing they're probably done with Stoll, and 3C would appear to be a need.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
anyone else think Sutter to the Kings is a late-summer possibility, pending a team-favorable outcome to the Mike Richards situation? Guessing they're probably done with Stoll, and 3C would appear to be a need.

Highly unlikely. Nick Shore seems ready to take over as the 3C, and they have Andy Andreoff to be the 4C. If anything, they'd add a fourth-line center because by season's end last year Shore had moved ahead of both Richards and Stoll.

I would love to be wrong.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

They have options.

Trevor Lewis is a C/RW and likely to get a longer look there as the Kings will NEED to start using their cheaper guys in roles like that to grow them.

Either way, their bottom 6 needs help down the middle. It's Lewis and then who? Is Nolan going back to C? Otherwise it's Kopitar-Carter-Lewis?-UFA?...

I think they have a need for Sutter right now actually. I would happily do a Lewis + 3rd + a conditional 1st for Sutter trade. Both are UFA at the end of the year, but I feel like Sutter is tailor made for that team's system/style.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Rutherford wants more scoring, Trevor Lewis isn't a good fit. I like him as a player but he is a limited offensive player. Very limited.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Highly unlikely. Nick Shore seems ready to take over as the 3C, and they have Andy Andreoff to be the 4C. If anything, they'd add a fourth-line center because by season's end last year Shore had moved ahead of both Richards and Stoll.

I would love to be wrong.

Lewis, Andreyoff...not bad options for a 4th line C. But Shore as a 3rd line C, not quite sure. West is big and slow, he's 6' but hey if that works for them, good for them.

Who else can use Sutter? I wish the Canucks were still interested, I'd love to get Jensen + 1st from them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
When was the last time we sold anybody, let alone at the deadline?

When was the last time we had a top 6 this deep?

When the owner was still playing before coming out of retirement in the 2000's is when. Things be changing son, buckle up and hold on.

The hope is Sundqvist looks fantastic in camp and JR is prompted to move Sutter asap so a team gives up more for a full year of Sutter and to negotiate with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad