Salary Cap: Wet Hot Canadian Sutter (Is No More)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
Chances are you get Center Ice for free this year, though… if you haven't seen the class action suit I posted about, search for the thread. Should still be on the front page.

No, you can now just follow one teams games or all games. The price is also lower. I almost forgot, the first three weeks of the season are free. But, you must be a Comcast or Direct Tv customer.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sid's the best hockey player in the world.
I'm sure it's tough when your older buddies can't keep up with you anymore but he knows when he's not getting his normal/regular chances and plays die on Kunitz or Dupuis's stick. He knew a time would come where these guys would fall off.

blazinblair

Jun 19, 2015
This notion is all driven by his (probably) tongue and cheek comments about Dupuis and kunitz after Iginla was aquired. What people fail to realize/mention most the time is, Sid's 1. A creature of habit even moreso than most hockey players. 2 he's just genuinely a good dude and isn't going to say anything negative about them. The guy seems to go out of his way to make new players feel comfortable. Remember all the photos circulating of him at dinner with morrow and Murray. He freaking went outside of Calgary's arena to greet Lee effin stempniak and carried in his sticks. Recently he called kessel and even sprong when he got drafted, as soon as they were penguins. He goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to that stuff in terms of being a captain.

Sorry got alil off topic, those are just some of things I cite when he's referred to as a bad captain, iritates me alil. The tie in here is the guy just wouldn't openly say yea can't wait to play with Iginla instead of dupuis basically. Astonishes me that a guy who's so politically correct almost to a fault at times,that people pull these underlying messages out of nowhere from his comments. Imo he's just not the type of guy to cut dupuis legs off to make Iginla seem taller. It was up to bylsma to make the right decisions and he failed. Now this notion exists he's spearheading kuni on his line campaign, apparently those people missed him being pretty candid on the bench and frustrated with some of kunitz decisions in the Rangers series. I'm pretty sure he wants to win more than anyone, if kunitz or no kunitz on his line present that opportunity. He'll be fine with either.

Crosby is great. When I lived in Halifax and he was playing for Rimouski, people would obviously line up and sell the place out . One time in the dead of winter he saw a lineup of people outside waiting to purchase tickets in the freezing cold to the Oceanic Mooseheads game. He actually took it upon himself to go to Tim Hortons and buy a huge amount of coffee and donuts and brought them to the fans waiting. He actually did that. :handclap:

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Haven't seen Polak play since his days in St. Louis really. Anyone who's seen him think he'd be an upgrade over Lovejoy? In theory I think a bottom 4 of Pouliot-Polak and Dumoulin-Cole would be pretty solid.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Lovejoy is only an issue because Scuds is still around. Lovejoy is better than Scuderi at everything and is a 3rd of the price, they just fill the same spot and are preventing Poo and Doom from getting their minutes.

I agree though, I think Kunitz and Duper are pretty well guaranteed top 9 spots until they thoroughly prove they don't deserve it. Bennett is going to be on the 4th line or the 3LW until someone gets injured or traded.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Crosby was asked by Madden point blank who he preferred to play with when he was gearing up to return from the jaw injury. He said he would prefer Kunitz and Dupuis. I actually dug it up through the wonders of Twitter archives! Listen here.

I can't give you a timestamp because that stupid player isn't showing one for me, but it's a few minutes in.

Madden: "Does it matter who you play with? You've had a lot of linemates during your time here, you play good with everybody, what's your preference?"

Crosby: "I think I'm the most comfortable with Duper and Kuni" because he's played with them the most. He then adds a bit more about how they've shown as a team that they can play with different combinations.

I don't think that was a totally unreasonable preference at that point; he was coming back from injury and going straight into the playoffs, and KCD had actually been a really good line in the regular season up until that injury. And I don't think that interview proves that when the going got tough and KCD needed broken up that Crosby dug his heels in, because after stating the preference he opened it up a little. But yeah, this is where that notion of Crosby preferring KCD comes from, not Bylsma.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Saying he prefers a certain combination of players because he's played with them the most, and is most comfortable with them does not mean Crosby is/was somehow Hellbent on forcing the coach into keeping that line together.

Trading Kunitz for anything we can get is the best case scenario. I don't even care if we get a 7th for him, he's useless on this team now. He's got no place in the top six, and isn't a bottom six player. Move him.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Trading Kunitz for anything we can get is the best case scenario. I don't even care if we get a 7th for him, he's useless on this team now. He's got no place in the top six, and isn't a bottom six player. Move him.
Who do you replace him with though? Sure it frees up cap space but is there an internal solution right now? Same goes with Sutter although i think he's more useful than Kunitz at this point.

The only player who is truly useless, ****s up our cap space AND blocks a younger replacement or cheaper pickup right now is the most beloved Scuds.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Who do you replace him with though? Sure it frees up cap space but is there an internal solution right now? Same goes with Sutter although i think he's more useful than Kunitz at this point.

The only player who is truly useless, ****s up our cap space AND blocks a younger replacement or cheaper pickup right now is the most beloved Scuds.

Replacing Sutter is a legitimate question. Kunitz has no place on the roster, so there's no issue of replacing him.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Plotnikov - Malkin - Kessel
Dupuis - Sutter - Bennett

That should be our top 9. Kunitz isn't cut out for 4th line play, and is a waste of ~$4M there. He's not a better 3rd liner than Dupuis, or likely Plotnikov. And he's not good enough (and hasn't been for 3 years) to further ruin Bennett's development.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Oh i get that but will Bennett stay healthy?

Will Kunitz regain some mobility with a completely healed foot?

...and will JR be willing to trade him for scraps?

Also, the ****ing NTC...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Bennett's health has always been, and until he puts together a couple of seasons of relatively injury-free hockey, always will be a concern. Regardless, we need to see what we really have with the kid.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
2nded... Plus he would bring toughness this defense doesn't have.

I know he's not that good at battling along the boards but I would love to see Sutter on Sids wing. Sid does a lot of the board work for his line anyway and I like having options for RH LH face offs. Also it gives the Pens an option to play Crosby as a center or more like a wing.

When teams gap up on the Pens wingers and the headman pass isn't there, Sid can skate plays up ice like he usually does. Like a natural center.

When teams collapse back, Sutter can be more of a defensive zone center and pucks can be headmanned to Crosby for a head start up ice. I kind of miss seeing Sid explode over the blue line like he used to when MT was around.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Rutherford sounded like he wanted to see steady lines, so Crosby will probably enjoy playing with whomever for a steady period of time. He enjoyed playing with 14 and 9 basically because Bylsma never altered the unit and Crosby felt comfortable. Hopefully the same will apply with a new combination this season.

Re: Bennett, he's not nearly the injury risk that Dupuis is heading into training camp, so I sure as hell hope Dupuis isn't gifted anything just because of seniority and his rather high status in the dressing room. Ideally, Dupuis starts on Line 4 this season. What better way to have four lines of offense than to place a former first liner on the fourth?

Re: Polak I think he would be a nice acquisition but the Leafs will want more young assets for him. The time to grab Polak was during the Kessel negotiations, imo.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
Is it possible to trade Kunitz, Sutter, Scuds for a decent Defensemen? Then sign Semin, Fehr, Weiss,Upshall all on 1 year deals. Chicago wins with 4 scoring lines we can do it too:)

Semin - Malkin - Kessel
Plotnikov - Fehr - Dupuis
Upshall-Weiss-Bennett

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Is it possible to trade Kunitz, Sutter, Scuds for a decent Defensemen? Then sign Semin, Fehr, Weiss,Upshall all on 1 year deals. Chicago wins with 4 scoring lines we can do it too:)

Semin - Malkin - Kessel
Plotnikov - Fehr - Dupuis
Upshall-Weiss-Bennett

Sure. Trade those three to the NJD for Andy Greene. I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking on an additional $5.525M in cap space. And I'm sure the Penguins wouldn't mind having a defenseman at $5M per season until he's 38.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No, you can now just follow one teams games or all games. The price is also lower. I almost forgot, the first three weeks of the season are free. But, you must be a Comcast or Direct Tv customer.

That would be awesome for me 99% of the time. Typically I just watch the Pens games...but on the off chance the wife is gone for the night its nice to watch other games too :)

Replacing Sutter is a legitimate question. Kunitz has no place on the roster, so there's no issue of replacing him.

Plotnikov - Malkin - Kessel
Dupuis - Sutter - Bennett

That should be our top 9. Kunitz isn't cut out for 4th line play, and is a waste of ~$4M there. He's not a better 3rd liner than Dupuis, or likely Plotnikov. And he's not good enough (and hasn't been for 3 years) to further ruin Bennett's development.

Agreed. Ideally I'd like to see one of our younger guys get the call to fill in on the 3rd line should injuries arise. This is where I hope Sundqvist can get his chance to crack the top 9. Would love to see Kunitz on the 4th line but I just don't think that happens.

If I was MJ and/or JR, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of putting together a line of Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel in hopes that Kunitz lights it up with them then look to gain interest in trading him - hopefully to a team that has an injury or two. Same with Scuderi, make him a bottom pairing and hope there's a team out there that needs a bottom pairing dman. Even if you only get a 5th or 6th from him.

In other news, the longer Semin waits to sign the more careful he needs to be about where he goes. IMHO, he shouldn't look for the money at this point but rather a team that can contribute to in order to position himself better for next year. Example, taking 1 yr 1mil contract with the Pens. Slot yourself next to Malkin, light it up, look to get paid next year. That would turn out better than taking, say a 2yr $3-4mil deal with a Phoenix or New Jersey where he may or may not succeed (much like Carolina). He's sorta at that crossroads of his career.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm surprised Semin's not already on a KHL team. It's pretty apparent that NHL teams are not exactly chomping at the bit to sign him. I'm sure he could still make a huge chunk of money over in the KHL.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'm surprised Semin's not already on a KHL team. It's pretty apparent that NHL teams are not exactly chomping at the bit to sign him. I'm sure he could still make a huge chunk of money over in the KHL.

Aren't most teams going bankrupt down there?

He is probably getting offers from bottom teams right now

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Sure. Trade those three to the NJD for Andy Greene. I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking on an additional $5.525M in cap space. And I'm sure the Penguins wouldn't mind having a defenseman at $5M per season until he's 38.

Speaking of the Devils (sorta)...

The Leafs just hired Lou Lam as GM. Im guessing they couldnt find anyone older.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Chances are you get Center Ice for free this year, though… if you haven't seen the class action suit I posted about, search for the thread. Should still be on the front page.

I keep hearing it's going to be a 20% discount, where did you hear about it being free?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Speaking of the Devils (sorta)...

The Leafs just hired Lou Lam as GM. Im guessing they couldnt find anyone older.

The Soup Nazi in TO... not sure how that will work out. I guess Shanny saw players getting way to distracted during his short time there and will bring in a stricter front office.

I'm OK with the line up to start the season. Along the way the Pens can get a defensive top 4 damn and some toughness... that's very gettable IMO.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Soup Nazi in TO... not sure how that will work out. I guess Shanny saw players getting way to distracted during his short time there and will bring in a stricter front office.

I'm OK with the line up to start the season. Along the way the Pens can get a defensive top 4 damn and some toughness... that's very gettable IMO.

With what cap space?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I will laugh and laugh when Plotnikov doesn't do well in a top 6 role, and plays possibly worse then Kunitz. Then I will cry. The only reason he is getting penciled in the top 6 is because hes Russian. There is zero reason to think he will do well in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland