Post-Game Talk: We win - Ducks really want Bedard - Sammie with B2B shutouts!

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Lazy narrative.

Lost a hard fought series against them. If a certain goal wasn’t waived off in Game 6, we likely “win a round”.

Gonna be another hard fought series this year if that’s the case.

Firing a GM who we are now seeing results of his drafting (and it’s looking VERY GOOD) and has constantly tried to improve the perceived weaknesses of the team - over a benchmark that ignores all variables?

Madness.

Last years playoff loss wasn’t the same as the ones against Boston. The COVID years weren’t the same as the ones against Boston.

Playoff success is obtained by having regular season success. By having strong drafting abilities. Whether we win a round, or two, who gives a f*** unless you win four.

Throwing that away over irrational impatience despite all evidence is idiotic.

As I said. It’s Gross Negligence to not have extended Kyle Dubas yet. There will be a line of teams licking their chops to hire him.

I think he Dubas has gotten more savvy every year. He could have caved and we'd have Jack Campbell in net, no Keefe behind the bench, and Marner traded for god knows what? but he,we'd have gud pros. And you're absolutely right; Dubas would be scooped up at the end of the year if they canned him in under 35 seconds.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Attachments

• 1670992335670.jpeg
    1670992335670.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I’m still in disbelief that Dubas was able to get Timmins for Douglas.

This was an incredibly shrewd move and if Timmins continues to settle in and run with this opportunity, he can really solidify our RHD and create several options for Dubas when we start to get healthy on D.

Dubas has frustrated me in the past with his trades, but he is evolving and has impressed with his ability to identify opportunities. Like anyone, he misses on some, but he also recognizes it an moves on from it.

Enjoying watching Timmins. I think he could make things interesting for us by the TDL.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Wow. What an ass kicking.

My biggest wish is to see Dallas Eakins get fired for this. He really should stick to Ponzi Schemes.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I’m still in disbelief that Dubas was able to get Timmins for Douglas.

This was an incredibly shrewd move and if Timmins continues to settle in and run with this opportunity, he can really solidify our RHD and create several options for Dubas when we start to get healthy on D.

Dubas has frustrated me in the past with his trades, but he is evolving and has impressed with his ability to identify opportunities. Like anyone, he misses on some, but he also recognizes it an moves on from it.

Enjoying watching Timmins. I think he could make things interesting for us by the TDL.
We have a huge vulnerable position here.
Both Timmins and Mete were on the 2018 Canada Jr. Team being investigated. Maybe that is why Timmins came so cheap?

• Wow
Reactions: LeafSteel

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I think he Dubas has gotten more savvy every year. He could have caved and we'd have Jack Campbell in net, no Keefe behind the bench, and Marner traded for god knows what? but he,we'd have gud pros. And you're absolutely right; Dubas would be scooped up at the end of the year if they canned him in under 35 seconds.
This is why you don't let the media run your team. It's all hot takes an knee jerk reactions. I legit hated the way the Leafs played in Oct. But I also said on these boards, I don't put too much stock in the first 10 games of the season, because it takes time to shake off the rust and stop playing pre-season level hockey. People hate Dubas, but I laud his creativity, even if the move doesn't always work out. His drafting record has been much better then our previous GMs, by valuing skill over size.

We have a huge vulnerable position here.
Both Timmins and Mete were on the 2018 Canada Jr. Team being investigated. Maybe that is why Timmins came so cheap?
Not at all true.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Hfboards was being weird for me post game

Just wanted to say the expected guys played like they should, but one guy who has impressed me the last couple of games is engvall

He’s started looking like the guy he looked like last game, keep that line together

Nice that Joey got a goal, hopefully he gets a nice look, he has a decent motor for forechecking

We really need a 2nd LW, imagine if it’s an actual winger instead of malgin….marners point streak ain’t ending anytime soon then

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wow. What an ass kicking.

My biggest wish is to see Dallas Eakins get fired for this. He really should stick to Ponzi Schemes.

The TSN broadcast was talking about how Eakins took exception to this photo of Wendel being hung up at the arena while a member of Leafs/Marlies staff because he was the Jet in the background who got beat up. What an egotistical nobody...

1670996738544.png

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i cant honestly remember timmins making a bad mistake since he stepped on the ice(besides the skate issue in his first game) his passing is crisp, his transition game is nice, hes decently physical, and hes a ppg dman so far. pretty incredible start considering the circumstances imo.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
This is why you don't let the media run your team. It's all hot takes an knee jerk reactions. I legit hated the way the Leafs played in Oct. But I also said on these boards, I don't put too much stock in the first 10 games of the season, because it takes time to shake off the rust and stop playing pre-season level hockey. People hate Dubas, but I laud his creativity, even if the move doesn't always work out. His drafting record has been much better then our previous GMs, by valuing skill over size.

Not at all true.

Not sure what you say is not true.
They were on the team, we're they not?
They may or may not be involved! I never suggested guilt, non has been established, no names released, but the possibility exists.
If you have other info please feel free to mention it.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Lazy narrative.

Lost a hard fought series against them. If a certain goal wasn’t waived off in Game 6, we likely “win a round”.

Gonna be another hard fought series this year if that’s the case.

Firing a GM who we are now seeing results of his drafting (and it’s looking VERY GOOD) and has constantly tried to improve the perceived weaknesses of the team - over a benchmark that ignores all variables?

Madness.

Last years playoff loss wasn’t the same as the ones against Boston. The COVID years weren’t the same as the ones against Boston.

Playoff success is obtained by having regular season success. By having strong drafting abilities. Whether we win a round, or two, who gives a f*** unless you win four.

Throwing that away over irrational impatience despite all evidence is idiotic.

As I said. It’s Gross Negligence to not have extended Kyle Dubas yet. There will be a line of teams licking their chops to hire him.
Except it's not. Lol.

And BTW, they've lost in the 1st round 6 years in a row now and potentially and counting. I would hardly consider that “irrational impatience“ by the fanbase. Lol.

Last edited:

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Hfboards was being weird for me post game

Just wanted to say the expected guys played like they should, but one guy who has impressed me the last couple of games is engvall

He’s started looking like the guy he looked like last game, keep that line together

Nice that Joey got a goal, hopefully he gets a nice look, he has a decent motor for forechecking

We really need a 2nd LW, imagine if it’s an actual winger instead of malgin….marners point streak ain’t ending anytime soon then
the pattern with engvall has always been the same, play like trash for calander months at a time until people are completely fed up, have a very good/great 3 - 4 game stretch that buys him a few months..rinse and repeat lol. maybe its different now, but im very very doubtful.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
the pattern with engvall has always been the same, play like trash for calander months at a time until people are completely fed up, have a very good/great 3 - 4 game stretch that buys him a few months..rinse and repeat lol. maybe its different now, but im very very doubtful.

He was consistently very good last year. The offense wasn't always there, but he rarely "plays like trash", especially in his own end.

Fans may only notice him for random 3-4 game stretches, but he is still very good in the other times. He put up 35 points last year with limited PP time and playing in a defensive role. He was off to a slow start to this year after missing training camp, but has picked up his game to that sort of level once again. 9 points in his last 21 games which is right back to that 35 point pace except this time he is pacing for 20 goals.

He starts in his own end 2/3's of the time and he has a 60 GF%, 52 xGF%, positive possession numbers across the board. That is also including his slow start. Without those first 7 games, he has a GF% of almost 70 and slightly better underlying numbers.

The only really frustrating thing with him is that he has a ton of excellent tools, but doesn't know how to put them together to their fullest extent. If he did, we are talking about a guy who could make 2 or 3 times what he is making now and still be considered an underpayment.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
He was consistently very good last year. The offense wasn't always there, but he rarely "plays like trash", especially in his own end.

Fans may only notice him for random 3-4 game stretches, but he is still very good in the other times. He put up 35 points last year with limited PP time and playing in a defensive role. He was off to a slow start to this year after missing training camp, but has picked up his game to that sort of level once again. 9 points in his last 21 games which is right back to that 35 point pace except this time he is pacing for 20 goals.

He starts in his own end 2/3's of the time and he has a 60 GF%, 52 xGF%, positive possession numbers across the board. That is also including his slow start. Without those first 7 games, he has a GF% of almost 70 and slightly better underlying numbers.

The only really frustrating thing with him is that he has a ton of excellent tools, but doesn't know how to put them together to their fullest extent. If he did, we are talking about a guy who could make 2 or 3 times what he is making now and still be considered an underpayment.
agree to disagree, he has always had long stretches of games that hes completely invisible then performs well for a few weeks and teases the fanbase and management of what he can be if he showed any sort of consistency whatsoever. kindof like how he played in the final month of last season, which got him a contract for this year. during his old contract(2 years 1.85mil) it was easier to ignore given his salary, at 2.25mil now he needs to learn to do other things when his offense isnt going. hes put up a few points recently so thats good, but it doesnt change the fact hes a passenger most nights. i agree with the last thing you said though, he does have the tools, but given the salary constraints of this team we cant afford to pay guys that dont show up every night. and hes been one of the few culprits this year.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Need to take advantage of the opportunity and get as many shutouts as possible while Rielly is out. ;-)

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Tbf, while inconsistent, 35 points is almost a half a point a game player. I’d take that over whatever the hell he gave us for the first 20 games. He was trash for each and every one of them, hope he can at least play like last year where he had spurts of good play

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
agree to disagree, he has always had long stretches of games that hes completely invisible then performs well for a few weeks and teases the fanbase and management of what he can be if he showed any sort of consistency whatsoever. kindof like how he played in the final month of last season, which got him a contract for this year. during his old contract(2 years 1.85mil) it was easier to ignore given his salary, at 2.25mil now he needs to learn to do other things when his offense isnt going. hes put up a few points recently so thats good, but it doesnt change the fact hes a passenger most nights. i agree with the last thing you said though, he does have the tools, but given the salary constraints of this team we cant afford to pay guys that dont show up every night. and hes been one of the few culprits this year.

As a defensive player, which is often how he is deployed, if you are "invisible" that is typically a good thing. It means he is doing his job.

If you are claiming he was going long stretches without being a strong defensive player at the very least, then that is factually untrue. He was, and always has been, consistent defensively.

The offense is occasionally spotty and that is why he makes 2.25 mill and not a lot more than that (aka Mikheyev money). I think his optimal deployment is on a shutdown line with Kampf and not worrying about giving him too many PP or offensive opportunities, but if the expectation is about showing up every night and having an impact (of any kind, not just offensively), then Engvall is more than meeting those expectations.

Is it possible for him to be replaced by an ELC? Sure. We have good forward prospects and he himself once did it when he was on an ELC. Plus, unlike Kerfoot, he is not given heavy PK or PP minutes that a suitable ELC should would not be able to replace.

Does that mean we should deal him? Probably not, unless you get a great deal and you trust a Marlie (or at least Malgin) to handle a heavily defensive role. Malgin can probably handle it, but defense hasn't been a particular strong suit for most Marlies' prospects. Anderson is probably the only strong internal option other than Malgin or shifting Holmberg to the wing. You are taking a sizeable risk for anyone besides those 3 to step into that role.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
How did Nylander manage to not get a point in this game?
That must be elite and worth its own prize in some strange way...

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
I can't believe we're playing this good a defensive hockey.
I hardly had any anxiety attacks so far this season fcol.
Please keep it up 🙏

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad