WCQF/CDSF: (C2) Winnipeg Jets vs (C3) St Louis Blues | STL leads 1-0

Who wins and in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I said STL in 6 (I'm a Blues fan so bias is in that answer). I wouldn't be surprised if this series went to 7 games though. The Jets had a significant edge in the regular season series winning 3/4, however those were all played before the Blues started turning the corner and finding their game under Berube. So this is a strong Jets team playing a much different Blues team as far as caliber of play than they saw during the season.

Scores were the following: Jets W 5-1, Jets W 5-4 (OT), Jets W 8-4, Blues W 1-0. (Scores in bold are after Berube took over as head coach)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No whiteout. Furthermore no one wants to go to Wpg to cover the Jets.

Dec 15, 2002
Unfortunatly i think who ever wins this could be drained, especially if Nashville happens to be your second round. Thats a tough road from a physical standpoint. No wonder the East always wins
Always?

They've won the last 3, one against an 8-seed and all 3 with home ice advantage in the Finals. Before that? The West won 4 in a row. The East won before that, then going back from there: the West, the East, the West x2, the East, the 2005 lost season, then the East x2, West x2, East, and West x4.

And a number of those years the West won, it was just as much of not more of a war to get out. If anything, those years had fairly certain favorites to start the playoffs; this year's West is a grab bag.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Goodness gracious what a matchup in Round 1. I can't believe one of these teams is going home early. I'll be tuning in!

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Blues lack playoff experience. Jets in 6.

This doesn't make any sense.

Parayko, Pieterangelo, Steen, Fabbri, Bouwmeester, Tarasenko, Bortuzzo, Gunnarson, Allen, and Schwartz were all on the 2015-2016 team that made the WCF.

Barbashev and Sanford played in the 2016-2017 post season.

Perron played in the SCF last season with Vegas.

Del Zotto played in the 2011-2012 ECF while Maroon played in the 2014-2015 WCF with Anaheim.

Schenn, Sundqvist, ROR, and Bozak have also played in the post season with other teams.

The only players on the roster who have not played a PO game are Binnington, MacEachern, Thomas, and Blais.

I do not understand how the Blues lack "playoff experience".

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Lots of overtime’s in this coin flip.

I’ll take the blues based on recent form.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Jets in 6.

f*** the Blues.

SingleFittingBoto-size_restricted.gif

MrvJets

Apr 23, 2018
Jets will dismantle St Louis like they did in the regular season. Jets in 6. No way St. Louis has the skill the Jets have. Jets have been coasting all season, now St. Louis is going to be hit all over the ice, something they won't be able to handle.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
This is the same storyline as the Hamburgler in Ottawa a few years back.

Binnington will fall back to his baseline stats.

In fact, everytime he's had a great regular season, he's had a terrible playoff.

Its gonna be nice to watch the Jets crush the Blues. You gotta respect some of the Blues players though, so I'm saying Jets in 6

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
This is going to be a very tough series for both teams. You wonder how much gas the winning team will have after this series is over.

Reactions: ATLbound

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Blues in 6.

Save everyone the trouble of taking a flight to Winnipeg of all places

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018

In fact, everytime he's had a great regular season, he's had a terrible playoff.

Its gonna be nice to watch the Jets crush the Blues. You gotta respect some of the Blues players though, so I'm saying Jets in 6

What baseline stats? He's a rookie.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

Hammond has had 3 seasons in the AHL(including this year) of posting a .900+ save percentage after his age 31 season.

Binnington's had 5 after age his age 25 season.

Binnington's save percentage in the AHL is 0.915 in 164 games. Hammond's is 0.904 in 129 games.

If Binnington posted a 0.915 save percentage in the POs, as well as a general average for his career in the NHL, I'd be pretty happy.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
What baseline stats? He's a rookie.

But not a hockey rookie... Just look at his career stats on Wiki.

He's not even this good in the AHL. He's still unproven in the NHL. Honestly I don't think the Blues or Binnington can sweat it out when the Jets turn up the heat

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Hammond has had 3 seasons in the AHL(including this year) of posting a .900+ save percentage after his age 31 season.

Binnington's had 5 after age his age 25 season.

I think the comparison still stands, regardless of their age when it happened. When Binnington isn't this good in the AHL, you have to be concerned that his play in the NHL isn't sustainable.

Micheal Hutchenson did the same thing in his first season. Led the league in goalie stats as well... Yet he's not an NHL goalie.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Gonna be honest, I don't know if anyone wants STL right now.

We do!

BareMelodicAlaskajingle-mobile.jpg

Big Bad Buff Style Hitting Coming your way

picasion-com_6240c6f9274837fcb81aecae6598fb3b.gif

The Winnipeg Jets, the most rested 2019 Stanley Cup Playoff Team :DD

We learned a lot from last year...:thumbu:

Go :jets Go

Last edited:

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
I think the comparison still stands, regardless of their age when it happened. When Binnington isn't this good in the AHL, you have to be concerned that his play in the NHL isn't sustainable.

Micheal Hutchenson did the same thing in his first season. Led the league in goalie stats as well... Yet he's not an NHL goalie.

Good thing he only needs to sustain it for 16-28 more games, and in terms of this thread's relevancy, 4-7

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

People who are more fluent with understanding advanced statistics than I can point to the Blues playing since January as a part of the turn around.

It's unreasonable to expect Binnington to post a 0.930+ save percentage every season, but there's no reason to not think he can't post between a .915 to .920 consistently. If the Blues get that out of a goalie, they are fine.

They weren't getting that during the early part of the season when the defense was a tire fire, but now they performing a lot better.

I don't think Binnington is a pumpkin and I don't think he'll turn out to be the next Hammond. Just because a goalie did not get a chance doesn't mean they're a pumpkin.

Ben Bishop didn't play 30+ games as a goalie in the NHL until he was 26. A large part of that had to do with the Blues blocking him with acquiring Halak and Elliott as well as viewing Jake Allen to be the goalie of the future. He also posted a 0.913 in 175 games in the AHL.

Reactions: STLomacneko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad