WCH - Impressions of the Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm ignore listing people that continue the false narrative that these games won't be intense or players don't care.

Empirical evidence we've seen negates that garbage.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The hockey is incredible. It's definitely surpassed what I thought I was going to see in the pre-tournament exhibitions. This is just unbelievable. And it will only get better (!)

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I dont think it will be a bust but it is nowhere near as exciting as Olympic hockey, that's forsure. I don't really care if Canada wins this tourney... not at all.

As its already more exciting than Olympic hockey hahah

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Love the hockey. Not really happy with a meaningless deathmatch with the best players in the game before the season starts.

There will be a bunch of injuries. Fans of teams with injured players will be pissed. I'd rather see Tavares glued to the bench.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Love the hockey. Not really happy with a meaningless deathmatch with the best players in the game before the season starts.

There will be a bunch of injuries. Fans of teams with injured players will be pissed. I'd rather see Tavares glued to the bench.

I don't care it's Canada v USA. This is war.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
A bust. Lol. This thread will be legendary when looking back.

And no, I won't let anyone say anymore this **** that the tournament is meaningless like those people have some sort of authority over what it actually is or isn't. Speak for yourself and that's where you should stop talking.

Last edited:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
How much of the excitement is just being hungry for any hockey with top players? Most people are watching their first hockey game of this season now or watched yesterday. I'm just saying the reference point might be a lot lower than usually. It is the same as generally the first games of the regular NHL season... woo, hockey, but quality of play isn't that high in the end.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How much of the excitement is just being hungry for any hockey with top players? Most people are watching their first hockey game of this season now or watched yesterday. I'm just saying the reference point might be a lot lower than usually. It is the same as generally the first round of the regular NHL season... woo, hockey, but quality of play isn't that high in the end.

I've been watching hockey for over 20 years. This has nothing to do with these games being the first hockey we're seeing this season.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
What is this thread celebrating the fact the players are trying...who seriously though team USA vs team Canada would ever be a half-hearted matchup...nobody, so creating a false narrative for your opposition is sort of silly.

This US/Canada game is really fun. I watch a lot of terrible youth hockey and it's nice to see the way it should be done.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
A bust. Lol. This thread will be legendary when looking back.

And no, I won't let anyone say anymore this **** that the tournament is meaningless like those people have some sort of authority over what it actually is or isn't. Speak for yourself and that's where you should stop talking. :nod:

It's absolutely a meaningless tournament. Your bold proclamations, like how apparently you won't let people point out what you don't want to hear, do little to deter me.

Funny how the people who feel the need to defend this event often resort to name calling or simply demanding that others stop commenting. I suppose trying to redefine what words mean didn't work, so tantrums are more effective. The tournament, which puts gimmicks against national teams against age restricted national teams, is meaningless.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I've been watching hockey for over 20 years. This has nothing to do with these games being the first hockey we're seeing this season.
I have watched too, but I still didn't watch any hockey not to mention full live games in the past three months. If you go to Youtube and watch some game from the 1990s, it probably looks very slow: an extreme example of changing reference point.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
It's absolutely a meaningless tournament. Your bold proclamations, like how apparently you won't let people point out what you don't want to hear, do little to deter me.

Funny how the people who feel the need to defend this event often resort to name calling or simply demanding that others stop commenting. I suppose trying to redefine what words mean didn't work, so tantrums are more effective. The tournament, which puts gimmicks against national teams against age restricted national teams, is meaningless.
The hockey's going to be great, obviously, but if you're trying to get communities and not just individual hockey fans involved especially in Europe and internationally where the reception is not as welcoming or accepting for a conglomerate team then eventually you'll have to mold back. Just have to hope they go back next time, I think I can personally enjoy this round though.

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013

That's because he is Canadian. Im sure if he was American, you would be cheering pretty loudly for him to be out there.

unreal hockey, and think its only exhibition

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What are you gonna do...spank me? :sarcasm:

He's super serious. He even cursed, so you know the threat is real.

The hockey's going to be great, obviously, but if you're trying to get communities and not just individual hockey fans involved especially in Europe and internationally where the reception is not as welcoming or accepting for a conglomerate team then eventually you'll have to mold back. Just have to hope they go back next time, I think I can personally enjoy this round though.

If they go back to having national teams and no roster restrictions, then as far as I can see the World Cup becomes the top international tournament there is and a legitimate best on best once more. If they want to build it into a really big deal in Europe they probably have to hold it in Europe at some point, but that is tangential to the nature of the tournament in my eyes. Ideally the tournament would just rotate among countries that care about hockey and compete in the sport at a high level.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
You don't understand how seriously Canadians take wearing that sweater (google 1972 Summit Series).

It means ****ing everything do you understand?

Yes, I understand what it takes to represent your country as I've done it before. Stop trying to have an argument that I'm not trying to have like a drooling patriotic. I'm saying this tournament is a bad idea by putting the star players in jeopardy.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes, I understand what it takes to represent your country as I've done it before. Stop trying to have an argument that I'm not trying to have like a drooling patriotic. I'm saying this tournament is a bad idea by putting the star players in jeopardy.

Cooler heads will prevail after. We're in the middle of battle.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
That's because he is Canadian. Im sure if he was American, you would be cheering pretty loudly for him to be out there.

unreal hockey, and think its only exhibition

Do you guys need reading comprehension classes? I feel the same way about our 2 goalies on the European team. I'm talking about injuries. I love rooting for USA and always will, but if one of the Islanders get hurt for the season in this tournament, I will be livid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad