WCH - Impressions of the Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
It seems that the NHL is having difficulty selling tickets for the World Cup of Hockey. The prices of tickets keep falling on StubHub and most games have 3000 to 4000 seats for sale. Tickets for the Europe vs. Czech game are as low as $10 in the balcony. You can even get tickets in the lower bowl for under $100 for some games.

The cheapest ticket for leafs games is usually over $100 in the balcony and well over $200 in the lower bowl.

There are also many many seats available on Ticketmaster for the exhibition games with less than a month remaining.

Even though I think the NA and Team Europe concept is silly. I would still much rather pay money to see a game with these teams than to see the Leafs play some team like Carolina.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
It seems that the NHL is having difficulty selling tickets for the World Cup of Hockey. The prices of tickets keep falling on StubHub and most games have 3000 to 4000 seats for sale. Tickets for the Europe vs. Czech game are as low as $10 in the balcony. You can even get tickets in the lower bowl for under $100 for some games.

The cheapest ticket for leafs games is usually over $100 in the balcony and well over $200 in the lower bowl.

There are also many many seats available on Ticketmaster for the exhibition games with less than a month remaining.

Even though I think the NA and Team Europe concept is silly. I would still much rather pay money to see a game with these teams than to see the Leafs play some team like Carolina.

I have seen the stubhub web site and this is true.
If people are coming from Europe and the US you would think they would have made their arrangements already.
So this means if they are going to be all sellouts like Bettman predicted, Local hockey fans are going to have to buy the remaining tickets.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
According to Stubhub there are still 3,188 tickets available for Canada-Czech Rep

Good to see.

For the Canada vs Czech game you can get a balcony level seat for $123 and a lower bowl seat for $148.

Meanwhile, there are only 625 seats for the Leafs season opener against Boston with the cheapest non-standing room seat at $169.95 and the cheapest lower bowl seat at $350!

May I remind you that Team Canada includes stars like Crosby, Toews, Benn, Seguin etc. while the Leafs were the last place team last season and the Bruins did not even make the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I hope that the tournament is awesome and all the people proudly proclaiming it's not worth watching feel silly when it's all over. :yo:

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
I hope that the tournament is awesome and all the people proudly proclaiming it's not worth watching feel silly when it's all over. :yo:

After the NHL dissed there leagues by excluding them in the World cup process. And of course creating the fake teams.
Do not expect Europeans hockey fans to be flying in to Toronto for this tournament. There is not going to be a festival atomsphere with fans from all hockey nations partying together like the NHL was hoping.
The stubhub ticket prices is proving this point.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
After the NHL dissed there leagues by excluding them in the World cup process. And of course creating the fake teams.
Do not expect Europeans hockey fans to be flying in to Toronto for this tournament. There is not going to be a festival atomsphere with fans from all hockey nations partying together like the NHL was hoping.

Hey man, don't write this off yet. I'm sure there are thousands of Slovak fans who will be flocking to Toronto for the once-in-a-lifetime chance to see Zdeno Chara play for Team Leftovers.

Right now here in Toronto there is ZERO buzz for this thing. It might pick up in a month, but I reckon it will be a 99% Team Canada affair when it comes to fans. There will be none of the atmosphere that we see at the Olympics of the WHC, but then it was dumb for the NHL to think it would be. European fans didn't make the trip for the Canada Cups either. The best solution would have been to have one of the groups play in Europe as was the case in 1996 and 2004. Canadians don't mind being denied the chance to attend Finland-Sweden.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
Hey man, don't write this off yet. I'm sure there are thousands of Slovak fans who will be flocking to Toronto for the once-in-a-lifetime chance to see Zdeno Chara play for Team Leftovers.

Right now here in Toronto there is ZERO buzz for this thing. It might pick up in a month, but I reckon it will be a 99% Team Canada affair when it comes to fans. There will be none of the atmosphere that we see at the Olympics of the WHC, but then it was dumb for the NHL to think it would be. European fans didn't make the trip for the Canada Cups either. The best solution would have been to have one of the groups play in Europe as was the case in 1996 and 2004. Canadians don't mind being denied the chance to attend Finland-Sweden.

Since you live in Toronto can you answer this question?
Are Canadiens not into it because of the stupid format or was there no chance no matter what the NHL did?

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
I feel if the NHL worked with the Euro leagues. Meaning those leagues shut down and all players were able to participate. A qualifying round for lower seeded nations. This tournament would have gotten more respect from hockey fans from around the world.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Do not expect Europeans fans to be flying in to Toronto for this tournament.

I expect a lot of them.
There is not going to be a festival atomsphere with fans from all nations partying together like the was hoping.

1) that remains to be seen, I am farily certain there will be a lot of fans, and not just from Canada or the US
2) The stubhub ticket prices proves that something that might or might not happen, has already happened? :laugh:

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
May I also add that for Team Canada vs Team USA tickets are $188 and up for upper bowl and $254 and up for lower bowl. There are 3,197 seats available on Stubhub.

This is cheaper than some Leafs games!!!!!!!!

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Since you live in Toronto can you answer this question?
Are Canadiens not into it because of the stupid format or was there no chance no matter what the NHL did?

I'd say it's a combination of things.

The stupid format has definitely turned off some fans (especially fans of the international game), while I suspect others were put off by the initial package ticket prices, the general lack of media buzz, or the mere idea of hockey during the summer months.

Meanwhile, the Blue Jays are making another strong run which has translated into the highest attendance in the American League, so many local sports fans clearly have other things on their mind.

Again, this all might change in a month but the dropping prices do indicate some frustration on the part of organizers.

All that said, the World Cup has never had the same buzz as the Olympics and the NHL is kidding themselves if they think they can replicate the same atmosphere and sense of importance. A transparent cash-grab full of phony teams can't compete with the idea of Olympic gold.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The WCH was never going to be some sort of transcendent event-regardless of the format. This kind of stuff just doesn't have a ton of appeal. Neither does similar events for basketball or baseball.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

The stupid format has definitely turned off some fans (especially fans of the international game), while I suspect others were put off by the initial package ticket prices, the general lack of media buzz, or the mere idea of hockey during the summer months.

Meanwhile, the Blue Jays are making another strong run which has translated into the highest attendance in the American League, so many local sports fans clearly have other things on their mind.

Again, this all might change in a month but the dropping prices do indicate some frustration on the part of organizers.

All that said, the World Cup has never had the same buzz as the Olympics and the NHL is kidding themselves if they think they can replicate the same atmosphere and sense of importance. A transparent cash-grab full of phony teams can't compete with the idea of Olympic gold.

You've been harping on the format for months. I would wager that has very little to do with the apathy shown towards this event. The masses just don't care about international hockey in late summer.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
You've been harping on the format for months. I would wager that has very little to do with the apathy shown towards this event. The masses just don't care about international hockey in late summer.

I recall much more buzz and anticipation in 1996 and 2004 than now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The WCH was never going to be some sort of transcendent event-regardless of the format. This kind of stuff just doesn't have a ton of appeal. Neither does similar events for basketball or baseball.

I recall much more buzz and anticipation in 1996 and 2004 than now.

Hockey tournaments regardless of whether it's the Olympics or the World Cup will likely never again be transcendent and will never have the buzz they once did. Since the iron curtain came down and all the top players are in the NHL, there just isn't any more mystery. 1972 was the ultimate, so was 1976 etc. all the way to 1987 and after that it's all been downhill. It can still be really exciting but not what it once was.

The Olympics are going downhill as more people get fed up with the many splendored scandals. It's becoming more and more like any other sporting event and less and less something transcendent, I'm sorry but the "Olympic Gold" ain't what it used to be and certainly isn't some holy grail that nothing else can compete with. For that reason, I don't see that the Olympics are much more likely to be than exciting hockey wise than any World Cup (assuming the gimmick teams are gone next time). People can wax poetic about the meaningfulness of the Olympics but the fact is, the hockey played in the Olympics last time was sorry to say, somewhat boring and I don't see how the snobbish tone of many posts from some of the Europeans fans in this forum is justified. Considering how low the bar is set at from the last Olympics, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the World Cup surpassed it in terms of the quality of hockey played as well as entertainment value.

It's a very hot summer in Toronto, interest will pick up once we get close to the World Cup starting.

To the poster that said the NHL dissed other leagues by organizing this tournament, all I can say is :facepalm:

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
Hockey tournaments regardless of whether it's the Olympics or the World Cup will likely never again be transcendent and will never have the buzz they once did. Since the iron curtain came down and all the top players are in the NHL, there just isn't any more mystery. 1972 was the ultimate, so was 1976 etc. all the way to 1987 and after that it's all been downhill. It can still be really exciting but not what it once was.

The Olympics are going downhill as more people get fed up with the many splendored scandals. It's becoming more and more like any other sporting event and less and less something transcendent, I'm sorry but the "Olympic Gold" ain't what it used to be and certainly isn't some holy grail that nothing else can compete with. For that reason, I don't see that the Olympics are much more likely to be than exciting hockey wise than any World Cup (assuming the gimmick teams are gone next time). People can wax poetic about the meaningfulness of the Olympics but the fact is, the hockey played in the Olympics last time was sorry to say, somewhat boring and I don't see how the snobbish tone of many posts from some of the Europeans fans in this forum is justified. Considering how low the bar is set at from the last Olympics, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the World Cup surpassed it in terms of the quality of hockey played as well as entertainment value.

It's a very hot summer in Toronto, interest will pick up once we get close to the World Cup starting.

To the poster that said the NHL dissed other leagues by organizing this tournament, all I can say is :facepalm:

This the World cup, the WORLD CUP!!!
And you do not have the other pro leagues have a stake in the competition.
The MLB world classic respected the Japanese league by giving them a cut. Since there top players were entering the competition.
The NHL acts like they are the only pro league in the world. Yes, it is the best but not the only one.
It is this arrogance that turns off many international hockey fans such as myself.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I am against the concept. But as a natural possibly corrupted human being ,watching cze-can and cze- euro for 133 dollars together might deserve consideration:)) this is actually what I paid for CZE- SVK in 2010 Vancouver. Good deal.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
The Olympics are going downhill as more people get fed up with the many splendored scandals. It's becoming more and more like any other sporting event and less and less something transcendent, I'm sorry but the "Olympic Gold" ain't what it used to be and certainly isn't some holy grail that nothing else can compete with. For that reason, I don't see that the Olympics are much more likely to be than exciting hockey wise than any World Cup (assuming the gimmick teams are gone next time). People can wax poetic about the meaningfulness of the Olympics but the fact is, the hockey played in the Olympics last time was sorry to say, somewhat boring and I don't see how the snobbish tone of many posts from some of the Europeans fans in this forum is justified.

The hockey tournament at the 2010 Olympics was probably the most excited Canada has ever been for an event, and provided perhaps the greatest quality of any tournament I can recall. The hype for 1998 and 2002 was also huge.

I agree though that Sochi saw a significant decline in quality and excitement - very low-scoring with few memorable games. Sure hope it was a one-off.

In terms of generating global interest among hockey fans everywhere nothing comes close to the Olympics, as flawed as it is.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think the tournament will be quite entertaining. It will just not be prestigious.

Prestigious for who? For players it already is, for many fans too. For some it perhaps isn't. The TV viewerships and the overall attendance could tell how prestigious the tournament really is.

Last edited:

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Prestigious for who? For players it already is, for many fans too. For some it perhaps isn't.

“I don’t like it at all. Not one thing about it,†Swiss defenceman Mark Streit, who was part of the team that upset Canada and the Czech Republic at the 2006 Olympics, recently told the Cherry Hill Courier-Post. “It’s a nations tournament. You love playing for your country.â€

"I'm sure those two countries will be disappointed not having their own teams," said Czech native Patrick Elias of the New Jersey Devils. "Switzerland is a big part of the IIHF, they've done great the last few years, their hockey has got better and better and more competitive at every age group."

"It would definitely be an exciting thing to happen," Drouin said Friday. "It would be a little different, I guess, playing against your own country. But it might be fun with all those young guys on the same team."

Ryan wondered how those 23-and-under players would feel playing Team USA.

"If you lost, inside you might say, 'Well, at least U.S.A. got a couple of points out of it,'" said Ryan. "It's going to be a weird thing for those kids. But that Young Guns thing will take on a life of its own."

Stamkos was asked how it would be for those young stars to take on Team Canada in that tournament.

"That would be pretty intimidating," Stamkos said. "I don't know how I'd feel about that game. Whether I'd be cheering for them to win or our team to win. If that's the case, those guys will be pretty pumped up."

"I don't think Canadians like to play with Americans too much," said Team Canada Olympic stud Drew Doughty of the Los Angeles Kings. "I don't know how that'd work."

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
Hey Gary Nylund, tell the hockey fans in Switzerland. We are going to have a world cup of hockey. Oh but your nation is not good enough so you can not enter a team. Your best players will be mashed together with other small hockey nations. When is it you ask? It begins the exact time you begin your domestic league. Yeah, we do not need your Crappy players so why bother collaborating with your petty league.
In case you think there are no Swiss hockey fans check this article out. It is the celebration of SC Bern championship. And they average 16,000 fans per game.
http://swisshockeynews.ch/index.php...s-celebrated-swiss-champion-sc-bern-yesterday

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg

Basically this, the only international team sport event not connected to an overall larger event that does well in NA is the FIFA WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad