WCH - Impressions of the Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
All-star games are nothing more than a show. The way I figured it, on a scale of 1-10 it's something like this:

Olympics (with NHL players) - 8.5
Previous World/Canada Cups - 9
This world Cup - 7.5/8
All-Star games - 1

And BTW - I approve of this thread. Great counter to the "bust" thread.

Yeah I didn't mean it that literally ;)

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
It's absolutely a meaningless tournament. Your bold proclamations, like how apparently you won't let people point out what you don't want to hear, do little to deter me.

Funny how the people who feel the need to defend this event often resort to name calling or simply demanding that others stop commenting. I suppose trying to redefine what words mean didn't work, so tantrums are more effective. The tournament, which puts gimmicks against national teams against age restricted national teams, is meaningless.

exactly. So if we want to consider it a best on best, that's up to us. Its not for you to define what we consider a best on best tourney. I for one will put it in whatever country's win column as a major best on best win comparable to 96 and 04 world cups, whether you do or don't. There isn't an official table that everyone agrees upon so for me it is.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
"The World Cup, which hasn't even started so far, has already surpassed expectations."

You gotta be kidding me. The logical error is too obvious :laugh:

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
"The World Cup, which hasn't even started so far, has already surpassed expectations."

It's a simple train of thought. If the exhibition games are this good, doesn't it stand to reason that the games that mean something will be even better?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
exactly. So if we want to consider it a best on best, that's up to us. Its not for you to define what we consider a best on best tourney. I for one will put it in whatever country's win column as a major best on best win comparable to 96 and 04 world cups, whether you do or don't. There isn't an official table that everyone agrees upon so for me it is.

I'm not telling you what you can and cannot say, as some are seemingly desperate to do. You can wrongly count this tournament as a best on best, and I can tell you that it is wrong. That's a discussion board for you. It is absolutely a wrongly held opinion though.

We've already had it formally declared by the boss of the boards that it is going to be the best tournament ever, based on the first night of exhibitions. Best exhibitions ever!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It's a simple train of thought. If the exhibition games are this good, doesn't it stand to reason that the games that mean something will be even better?

There are a lot of trains of thought that stand to reason and yet doesn't stand the reality check. So let's wait and see before making brash declarations before the fact, shall we?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
It's absolutely a meaningless tournament. Your bold proclamations, like how apparently you won't let people point out what you don't want to hear, do little to deter me.

it absolutely isn't a meaningless tournament. You thinking so doesn't mean it is so.
:popcorn:

What are you gonna do...spank me? :sarcasm:

You can read between the lines. What I'm saying is that if you will proclaim it's meaningless, I will post immediately that it isn't. And we can play the game all the day as far as you're not tired. I'll start.

The tournament means a lot.

Your turn.

fizx4fw.gif

nicki_crazy.gif

Last edited:

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
There are a lot of trains of thought that stand to reason and yet doesn't stand the reality check. So let's wait and see before making brash declarations before the fact, shall we?

The only line of thought rooted in any real evidence is the one I already presented. The exhibition games have been great, that's basically a fact. Some of you want to hate on this no matter what, that's also basically a fact.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The only line of thought rooted in any real evidence is the one I already presented. The exhibition games have been great, that's basically a fact. Some of you want to hate on this no matter what, that's also basically a fact.
exactly. The level of interest from players and the level of hockey holds actually ZERO meaning for whether the tournament has meaning or not. Interesting process.

We should all agree upon that what Jack Slater, Canuckistani, kabidjan18, FiLe, and others, claim as meaningless, it is, shouldn't we? Or does someone see a problem here?

As its already more exciting than Olympic hockey hahah

It is. The pace was already at olympic level.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
You can read between the lines. What I'm saying is that if you will proclaim it's meaningless, I will post immediately that it isn't. And we can play the game all the day as far as you're not tired. I'll start.

The tournament means a lot.

Your turn.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

How could I not understand that you meant we were supposed to have a kinder-style quarrel from what you wrote...silly me.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
it absolutely isn't a meaningless tournament. You thinking so doesn't mean it is so.
:popcorn:

Let's play the game then, before the thread expires.

Winning actual best on best tournaments means that the winning team has beaten the best from other countries, either directly or by beating the teams that beat the others. That is not a possible conclusion in this tournament so... what exactly is the meaning?

If looked at as purely an entertaining exhibition, which seems to be a popular opinion, that is at least justifiable. If someone finds the entertainment value of an all star exhibition meaningful, then perhaps that can be explained. As a serious competition, it has no meaning at all though. Expecting a childish response since you've sworn not to let people say that the meaningless tournament is meaningless, even though you have no power to do so, but who knows what will come.

Funny thing is, unlike your inaccurate understanding of "international", "best on best" and "gimmick", whether or not this tournament is meaningful is pretty subjective. Neither side can factually be proven correct, mine included, so I don't fully understand why you feel that you need to, or that you even can, silence people who disagree with your subjective opinion. I applaud the effort in advance though.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

How could I not understand that you meant we were supposed to have a kinder-style quarrel from what you wrote...silly me.

Careful man, he has pictures at his disposal, and apparently he knows how to post them. Words aren't working to defend the weak positions, so pictures it will be.

Last edited:

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
O-24 Canada's off to a dream start. By the sounds of it, there was sloppy goaltending, suspect D and only two goals scored. Hope they keep it up.

Now if only the Czechs or Euros could step it up in the next week, there'd be an outside chance of a first round exit for O-24 Canada and a disaster for the NHL.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
:rolleyes:

Calm down, I think you're fully tourqued.

Heat of the moment during the game brother. GDTs get intense, cooler heads prevail after.

That's why we love this game, great intensity tonight,

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Canada's off to a dream start. By the sounds of it, there was sloppy goaltending, suspect D and only two goals scored. Hope they keep it up.

Now if only the Czechs or Euros could step it up in the next week, there'd be an outside chance of a first round exit for O-24 Canada and a disaster for the NHL.

Ehh while the bold proclamations of the greatness of the tournament based on pre-tournament games are too much, this isn't really any better. Canada pretty much always gets stronger the more games that are played.

Also, will miss this thread.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Ehh while the bold proclamations of the greatness of the tournament based on pre-tournament games are too much, this isn't really any better. Canada pretty much always gets stronger the more games that are played.

Like I said, outside chance.

Not making a prediction.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
O-24 Canada's off to a dream start. By the sounds of it, there was sloppy goaltending, suspect D and only two goals scored. Hope they keep it up.

Price played his first game in how many months and they dominated the US in shots.

Why even try to comment on the game when your general posts on the topic are so bad?

:help:

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Price played his first game in how many months and they dominated the US in shots.

Why even try to comment on the game when your general posts on the topic are so bad?

:help:

Utilize the ignore feature if I'm upsetting you.

And i understand that it's an exhibition. Just hoping this ends in as big a disaster for the NHL as possible.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Utilize the ignore feature if I'm upsetting you.

And i understand that it's an exhibition. Just hoping this ends in as big a disaster for the NHL as possible.

Oh, no worries, you're a source of amusement. Trying to comment on a tournament when you refuse to watch it is some of the most laughable sports commentary I've seen in awhile.

You're free to comment, and free to be laughed at for your misinformed third hand commentary.

I figured someone who hated the tournament wouldn't search for commentary if they didn't care.

Huh.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
I figured someone who hated the tournament wouldn't search for commentary if they didn't care.

Huh.

I care that the event blows up in the NHLs face so that this doesn't happen again. So I check the score updates and the odd tweet.

Haven't really been offering commentary on the games themselves so I'm not sure what you've been reading on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad