WCH - Impressions of the Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
different 2 week tournament vs building a team over years. So like a playoff draft vs a keeper league with your friends.

You kidding? NHL just spared two national teams with some artificial crap because they they didnt look that much competive for now. These two NHL teams suck for decade or even more. Slovakia has not been good for 5 years. This move by NHl only brought that people at least in this forum thinks that once they are not satisfied they can even consider mix some other national teams together. This is just peace of ......

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
We all know players love it. I am completely ok with it. But how can he say such nonsense like format where all the teams can win???? This is out of reality. As I said before, in that case scratch Oilers and Leafs, they are useless. Put them together and create one team from them. And now you probably start to explain me why that is not possible, tradition , fans etc. As far I see it here, euro fans from that rest of Europe are mostly offended by it and I personally feel quite offended that someone else here set up the thread where he suggest to mix half of my team with team Russia or team Europe....

The NHL can do whatever format the hell they choose and it will be a lot better than anything else in the world. People are too nationalistic. This tournament seemingly has A LOT of support among the people in Canada, US, or in Europe, if someone doesn't want to watch it or doesn't like it, then don't.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I wonder how some of the biggest haters of this format feel about this? Shocked into silence perhaps? This isn't just some random fan speaking, this is freaking Henrik Sedin!!
Sincerity or lip service? There's about 50/50 chance for it being either.

This tournament seemingly has A LOT of support among the people in Canada, US, or in Europe, if someone doesn't want to watch it or doesn't like it, then don't.
Yet it's a far cry of the support it would have if it was a proper international.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The effort of Team Europe last night was laughable. No passion or intensity whatsoever. All it did was confirm to me that this tournament is a pre-season practice run. Nothing at stake.

Would love to try out your crystal ball that magically let's you see how intense the actual games are though..

Everything from Team Europe, the effort, intensity, or passion, was exactly the same as if you watched any regular season NHL game. North America was just too damn fast and better. That's all. They both hit each other and were battling as in any NHL game.

Yet it's a far cry of the support it would have if it was a proper international.

Hardly.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is going to be perhaps the best hockey tournament ever. Enough said.

Oh absolutely, enough said. You deeming this "perhaps the best hockey tournament ever" is all that needs to be said and is proof beyond question.

Who's more of being "a joke", the teams and the tournament that will be one of the best in history, or the people who are complaining day in and day out like a bunch of kids who didn't get what they wanted for lunch?

Well, the funniest joke is you speaking about a tournament that hasn't taken place as one of the best in history. One joke, and it is certainly a joke, is a tournament masquerading as an international tournament when it has non-national teams. The other main joke is a tournament masquerading as a best on best tournament, but denying some teams the right to select players from their own country, and then organizing the tournament so that players have the opportunity to play against their own country. That is indeed a joke.

Are there any more feeble attempts to define this as an international tournament or a best on best tournament, or are we just onto whether or not it is a joke? Whether or not it is a joke is at least a much more subjective topic.

I have never seen such intense pre-tournament games. True, I am not the oldest out here, but the pace and quality of those games I've seen is really something special, and if this is just exhibition.....

See, the problem, as a kid who likes everything (every Canadian team will win the WJC, every player will show up for the World championships etc.) is that it ruins any credibility you would have even as a relatively anonymous poster. You like everything put in front of you. This tournament may have the most intense games of all time, who knows, but you are going to seriously try to make your point based on three exhibition games? Games that plenty of posters have already commented on for their lack on intensity? I can't speak to the quality of play in the exhibitions, but the strategy of justifying the tournament based on exhibitions is pretty ridiculous.

Henrik Sedin just on Sportsnet, on what he thinks about the comparison between the olympics and the world cup, after he had a taste of the pre-tournament game against Finland

"I think when this is over, it's gonna be up there with the olympics for sure. And I think playing in Toronto is a key to that, cause it's played in Canada, its played in one city and you're not travelling around different cities, like we did in '04, so I think it's gonna be up there with the olympics, absolutely."

on playing such an intense game right out of gate

"half way through the game I felt much better, but the first period was, huh, like Daniel said, Daniel said after the game "I was ready to retire after the first period", cause the pace was high, and everyone was just throwing pucks everywhere, it was a real feeling. But half way through the game the game was starting to slow down, you got more comfortable out there so, I felt a lot better going into the third period and into the overtime."

on whether the players like the idea of Team North America/Europe, or if they like the traditional format with 8 countries

"I would say right now I'm excited. When it came out in the news I was a little hesitant about the whole thing, but I'd rather have it this way where all the teams can win and like I said in olympics you can lose one or two games you know you're gonna beat some of the lesser teams and move on anyways into the quarter-final, this year at this tournament you have to be prepared for each and every game to win and that's, I like it better this way."

That's nice that Henrik Sedin seems receptive to the format. That has very little to do with the criticisms of the tournament, but it's nice for him if those are indeed his sentiments.

I get that the Olympics will always have greater credibility than the World Cup, but the World Cup deserves some kind of credit for having a guy like Kopitar being able to play. We wouldn't even see him at all at the Olympics since Slovenia doesn't get past qualification usually.

Kopitar played at the last Olympics, and Slovenia is qualified for the 2018 Olympics... which Kopitar may not play in, partially due to this tournament.

So Sedin was hesitant, but now prefers this format to the Olympics, that's very interesting indeed. I have said all along that I don't like these gimmick teams but comments like this make me glad I have also said I'll keep an open mind and see how all this plays out.

I wonder how some of the biggest haters of this format feel about this? Shocked into silence perhaps? This isn't just some random fan speaking, this is freaking Henrik Sedin!!

World Cup credibility just went up several points IMO. Cool!

Not quite shocked into silence Gary Nylund, nor hiding and refusing to reply (lobbing only weak passive aggressive comments) because my own poorly thought out and poorly researched opinions are repeatedly proven wrong. Simply answering and replying to information as it becomes available. I understand that some prefer the other approach though.

Sure this describes this tournament well.

The funny thing is that the vast majority of people who defend this tournament don't even attempt to defend it as a serious tournament, but an all star exhibition that they want to enjoy. Which is far more defensible than pretending it's a serious tournament with consequential results. No one is saying that people cannot enjoy it that I can see.

The NHL can do whatever format the hell they choose and it will be a lot better than anything else in the world. People are too nationalistic. This tournament seemingly has A LOT of support among the people in Canada, US, or in Europe, if someone doesn't want to watch it or doesn't like it, then don't.

Ahhh, so you will blindly follow whatever the NHL does. Makes sense. The NHL can do "whatever format the hell they choose" (I think I understand what that means) and it will be better than "anything else in the world". There you go. Olympics? WJC? No tournament is better than "whatever format the hell" the NHL creates. Strong argument.

Also, laughable to complain that people are too nationalistic... in what is supposed to be an international tournament.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I take it you have something to back this up.

Ratings? People watching this - at least in Europe - does not equal to people measuring it up there with certain other events. And that includes the IIHF spring annual.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

Too nationalistic? I like the games so far. Just half of the posts here are unreadable. NHL just obviously brings obssesion with best of best. I am quite terrified that some people here suggest adding Czechs, finns or swedes to team Europe because they dont look that competitive so far. And they just suggest it because NHL allow them to even think it is possible. Or have you ever read something like this before? Belarus was weak in OGs? Next time please make Latvia Belarus Switzerland team? Sorry I probably stop talking about it because it just drives me completely crazy. Thats completely against everything I stand for....

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Nice to see Krejčí ditch the Gimmick Cup along with Jágr. I would feel gratified if Hossa, Chára, Kopitar et al. pulled out as well, citing injuries or whatever. The worse this travesty ends, the better, in the long term, for international hockey. :nod:

Guess you don't like best on best hockey then as the Olympics are not going to happen I doubt

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Lets combine Canada (U23+) and USA (U23+) too. It will be a lot better than anything else, you just said so. If you're not fine with this, you're just a nationalistic whiner (who would have thought nationalism has anything to do with a tournament where nations particiupate? so stupid!).

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
What's wrong with the NHL only going to Olympics that actually positively effect their business? IE. Europe/North America

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I dont think it will be a bust but it is nowhere near as exciting as Olympic hockey, that's forsure. I don't really care if Canada wins this tourney... not at all.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
WCH has surpassed expectations already

This is a counter thread to the "potential Bust" one.

I dono about the fans, but the players care big time, there are a ton of scrums, angry players, big hits, and a ton of passion showed already so far.

And it's only the pre-tourny games. This is awesome considering we are getting this in September.

Nice job NHL.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
This is a counter thread to the "potential Bust" one.

I dono about the fans, but the players care big time, there are a ton of scrums, angry players, big hits, and a ton of passion showed already so far.

And it's only the pre-tourny games. This is awesome considering we are getting this in September.

Nice job NHL.

Except for when team Euro leftovers play.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Oh with this much intensity we're guaranteed to see injuries. My guess would have to be 6+ NHL regulars

You think its good hockey now, wait 2 weeks when the semi's start.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I'm pleasantly surprised how intensive this is, I was waiting for All Stars Game type of hockey. And we are in practice games. This is going to be good.

Puckstopper

Oct 19, 2006
Team NA set the tone last night, they're going hard. If they meet up with either Canada or the U.S after group play, it will potentially be some pretty epic hockey.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We all know players love it. I am completely ok with it. But how can he say such nonsense like format where all the teams can win???? This is out of reality. As I said before, in that case scratch Oilers and Leafs, they are useless. Put them together and create one team from them. And now you probably start to explain me why that is not possible, tradition , fans etc. As far I see it here, euro fans from that rest of Europe are mostly offended by it and I personally feel quite offended that someone else here set up the thread where he suggest to mix half of my team with team Russia or team Europe....

I know some think this is sacrilegious but he sounded sincere to me. How could he say it? Because that's the way he feels.

Sincerity or lip service? There's about 50/50 chance for it being either.

He sounded sincere to me. I have to give you props though, when a player has something positive to say it's been automatic for posters who hate the format to call it 100% lip service so you saying 50/50 means you're acknowledging that he could be sincere - good for you.

Too nationalistic? I like the games so far. Just half of the posts here are unreadable. NHL just obviously brings obssesion with best of best. I am quite terrified that some people here suggest adding Czechs, finns or swedes to team Europe because they dont look that competitive so far. And they just suggest it because NHL allow them to even think it is possible. Or have you ever read something like this before? Belarus was weak in OGs? Next time please make Latvia Belarus Switzerland team? Sorry I probably stop talking about it because it just drives me completely crazy. Thats completely against everything I stand for....

I understand where you're coming from. You have my sympathies.

Lets combine Canada (U23+) and USA (U23+) too. It will be a lot better than anything else, you just said so. If you're not fine with this, you're just a nationalistic whiner (who would have thought nationalism has anything to do with a tournament where nations particiupate? so stupid!).

I figure you're being sarcastic but you know, something along those lines could actually be very interesting. Let's say ignore nationalities, just have all the NHL players 24 and under vs 25 and over. Young vs old. Old vs new. This could actually be quite interesting.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
There goes the bust, this is incredible hockey. surpassing expectations

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm pleasantly surprised how intensive this is, I was waiting for All Stars Game type of hockey. And we are in practice games. This is going to be good.

All-star games are nothing more than a show. The way I figured it, on a scale of 1-10 it's something like this:

Olympics (with NHL players) - 8.5
Previous World/Canada Cups - 9
This world Cup - 7.5/8
All-Star games - 1

And BTW - I approve of this thread. Great counter to the "bust" thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad