GDT: WC QF Sweden vs Canada

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Becuase many finns are like that. Go to youtube and facebook and check for yourself. never said all finns are bad.
Youtube and facebook are like the worst places you can go to read comments lol. Maybe you should stick to places that aren't meant for saltiness and crying etc.
Ignore the haters my man. If you see a post that is silly or ignorant, don’t empower it by responding, block or ignore them and move on.
Nah, its fine. I like to have a chat with people and listen how they view things, since it can be good for me to understand different opinions and views about things.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Why is that finns keeps attacking sweden, can i get a serious reply on this? why do finns respect germany, switzerland, slovakia, latvia etc but not sweden? Why do finns who are best in the world at icehockey together with canada feel the need to kick on us swedes all the time because we suck? why dont finns go and mock italy, uk and kazaksthan aswell? And how is it a choke job when we only have 2 good nhler forwards on the roster? Losing to Canada is not the same thing as losing to for exemple Norway...
If you want respect from someone, you have to show it first. The Finns often return attacks to the Swedes, because not all Swedes can recognize the quality of Finland and that it has not been a small and unsuccessful little brother for long enough. Conversely, Finns have finally started collecting more medals in seniors and sometimes think they are far better than they really are. So they have nothing to blame, both sides are right, it's not one-sided as you try to suggest.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Youtube and facebook are like the worst places you can go to read comments lol. Maybe you should stick to places that aren't meant for saltiness and crying etc.

Nah, its fine. I like to have a chat with people and listen how they view things, since it can be good for me to understand different opinions and views about things.
I dont see anyone write shit about Switzerland, Slovakia, Germany. Its only against sweden

If you want respect from someone, you have to show it first. The Finns often return attacks to the Swedes, because not all Swedes can recognize the quality of Finland and that it has not been a small and unsuccessful little brother for long enough. Conversely, Finns have finally started collecting more medals in seniors and sometimes think they are far better than they really are. So they have nothing to blame, both sides are right, it's not one-sided as you try to suggest.
The difference is that finns are completly bulling swedes. Saying stuff like Sweden should stop playing hockey, are always failing, never won gold, are soft and gay, worse than italy etc are much worse bashing than saying Finland is not as good as Canada. Its completly different level of bashing.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I dont see anyone write shit about Switzerland, Slovakia, Germany. Its only against sweden
Swedes have treated us little brothers for so long so some Finns have the saltiness they have never got over and act like child. Things have changed, but there is rotten eggs both sides of the border. I appreciate Swedes and I don't have many negative things to say about them. I feel like we have more respect now than we used to have in the past, so I guess we have grown up to be a little more mature.

Switzerland, Slovakia and Germany don't share similar culture and border with us. Sweden and Finland are very, very close so banter will always be a thing. Hopefully its mostly a friendly one. Don't let these salty people affect your views too much my friend.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019

The difference is that finns are completly bulling swedes. Saying stuff like Sweden should stop playing hockey, are always failing, never won gold, are soft and gay, worse than italy etc are much worse bashing than saying Finland is not as good as Canada. Its completly different level of bashing.
I'm sure there's some bashing between Swiss and German fans in different sports. It's just part of it.

And now since Finland is for the first time clearly better than Sweden in international hockey it's like "payback time" to some people. But just few individuals, atleast i (born in the 90's) and younger people obviously don't feel that same "grudge" against Swedes.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020

So if you read facebook or youtube and comments there, what sample of people there will probably write? I would not be afraid to say that life in Finland is harder than in Sweden, it depends on the area, of course, but Finland is a poorer country than Sweden and living conditions are simply different. As far as hockey is concerned, it is not true that Finns bully the Swedes in such numbers, here it depends on what contributions you read and what you are looking for. What was it like for the Finns when they never won the WHC, the Swedes didn't make fun of them?

Reactions: FinPanda

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I'm sure there's some bashing between Swiss and German fans in different sports. It's just part of it.

And now since Finland is for the first time clearly better than Sweden in international hockey it's like "payback time" to some people. But just few individuals, atleast i (born in the 90's) and younger people obviously don't feel that same "grudge" against Swedes.
Well we are in hockey here. Fact is that nobody is ever bashing switzerland, germany, latvia, czechs...in hockey. but sweden always gets bashed and made fun of, not only from finns but also from others.

So if you read facebook or youtube and comments there, what sample of people there will probably write? I would not be afraid to say that life in Finland is harder than in Sweden, it depends on the area, of course, but Finland is a poorer country than Sweden and living conditions are simply different. As far as hockey is concerned, it is not true that Finns bully the Swedes in such numbers, here it depends on what contributions you read and what you are looking for. What was it like for the Finns when they never won the WHC, the Swedes didn't make fun of them?
Thing is, i dont see anyone making fun of other hockey nations in this way, its only against swedes. Something is wrong.

If you dont understand that saying "sweden should stop playing hockey, worse than italy, soft bastards, never won gold" is way worse bashing than "finland littlebrother. worse than canada" than i dont know what planet you live on.

Sweden is the only hockey nation that is bullied.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Yes Sweden is richer country but it's not really visible on everyday life, it's like comparing Netherlands and Belgium basically. Once you reach certain level of living conditions, differences are quite small and doesn't affect everyday life drastically when comparing.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Half of the page of bullshittery about how Finns on YT and FB are bad in 20 minutes. Ah yes, Eye of Ra is back. The person talking most trash about Sweden took it upon himself to defend its honor now. How kind.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Well we are in hockey here. Fact is that nobody is ever bashing switzerland, germany, latvia, czechs...in hockey. but sweden always gets bashed and made fun of, not only from finns but also from others.

Thing is, i dont see anyone making fun of other hockey nations in this way, its only against swedes. Something is wrong.

If you dont understand that saying "sweden should stop playing hockey, worse than italy, soft bastards, never won gold" is way worse bashing than "finland littlebrother. worse than canada" than i dont know what planet you live on.

Sweden is the only hockey nation that is bullied.
So Sweden is just a victim of all the other hockey countries and their fans ... do you wonder why this is so and whether the Swedes are sometimes to blame for their arrogance and contempt for other countries? Your theory about Swedish bullying is weird. When Sweden won the WHC twice in a row, I was happy and happy. But I also knew and understood that it would be different in the future, quite possibly worse. And it never occurred to me to go and write something to the Finns that look, we rule the world and where you are.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Because im not doing bulling. I have a opinion. Im not saying "sweden stop playing hockey, you soft gay bastards, you guys never won gold".
Just ignore it man... You are diving the sewers and then complain it smells like shit.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So Sweden is just a victim of all the other hockey countries and their fans ... do you wonder why this is so and whether the Swedes are sometimes to blame for their arrogance and contempt for other countries? Your theory about Swedish bullying is weird. When Sweden won the WHC twice in a row, I was happy and happy. But I also knew and understood that it would be different in the future, quite possibly worse. And it never occurred to me to go and write something to the Finns that look, we rule the world and where you are.
Exactly, sweden is bullied by other hockeynations fans. U dont see this kind of bulling directed toward other hockeynations.

When sweden won 2 gold everyone was saying we sucked, had luck, paid the refs etc. Same bashing all over again.

Swedes are not arrogant in general, some are, but there is bad apples in every country. There is no explantion to the hatred that Sweden gets. It makes no sense.

Just ignore it man... You are diving the sewers and then complain it smells like shit.
Comments like that is getting like 100 likes, people agree with it.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Real discussion and getting others perspectives is great, when done respectfully.

I think even super nice and well meaning people just don’t do a good job online. Look how common place anger and resentment is online, it’s crazy. It’s the medium that’s doing this to us. I know I’ve been and probably will be guilty of it.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I will admit, its not only finns doing the bashing. poles do it, czechcs..people from na...however finns are the worst probaly because of rivaly but anyways.

when canada, usa, germany, switzerland, finland, latvia etc loses a game everyone say thank you fro good game, great hockeynations.

when sweden loss, the horde of 500 people from different countries come and say: stop playing hockey swedes, u suck, u never won gold in your history, you have loser mentality etc.

its bulling on highest level

Because im not doing bulling. I have a opinion. Im not saying "sweden stop playing hockey, you soft gay bastards, you guys never won gold".
I don't believe for one bit that people start saying that Sweden should stop playing hockey etc. If they do, they don't understand a thing about hockey and you should ignore them instead taking it to your heart. Sweden is one of the most successful hockey nations in the world and aside friendly banter and some salty comments, no one ever says Sweden is not an excellent hockey country.

I don't understand why you read comments from places where people don't understand a thing about hockey.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
Haha relax, it's all just fun. It's just grown man chasing the puck around the ice for no reason, but still a very good excuse to get drunk. When you grow up you will realize that there are real things in life that you can be sad about. Don't take hockey too seriously. Trolling your rival is just part of the game.

It must be something primal...in the blood..I just enjoy you guys losing. It's like watching america's funniest home videos.

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I never Sweden is worse than italy and uk.
You said Swedes are 13th best in the world ... Where are Poland, UK and Italy ranked?

Also... If you have issues with bullying on hfboards then click 'report'.

However, bringing up stuff you read somewhere else is off topic and trolling. Also, you called my Czechs 'dirty rats' during our game while no Czech poster said one bad thing about Sweden.

Talk about the game OR go to YouTube, Facebook, twitter and wherever else and defend Sweden there.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I feel
Bad for Sweden. Canadians generally don’t care about this tournament while euros take pride in it. I might watch the semis now but really don’t like this Canadian team. Boring to watch.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I feel
Bad for Sweden. Canadians generally don’t care about this tournament while euros take pride in it. I might watch the semis now but really don’t like this Canadian team. Boring to watch.
Canada is now in at least it's 6th semi in the last 7 years. Maybe even all 7.

They definitely care and they absolutely excel here.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There have been some comments questioning the level of commitment of Canadian players but some Europeans have it all backwards.

We are talking about a tournament that very few Canadians get to watch until the final games, because they take place during the work day in Canadian time zones.

We are talking about a tournament that takes place in its entirety at the same time as our beloved professional league's playoffs - a league that predates the World Championships as its own event by 13 years competing for a trophy commissioned in 1892.

Meanwhile Canada, the founding nation of the sport as it exists today, has hosted this "world" tournament one single time in 92 years.

I've heard snide comments about players taking a holiday in Europe but let's be serious here - these are millionaire NHLers - they can certainly afford to take a holiday in Europe with their wives and families on their own dime without having to interrupt it consistently to attend practices and games.

Expats and tourists from Canada certainly show up (as I have), but we are dwarfed by the legions of European fans, both those who attend and those who watch during prime time on television.

Given all that, the fact that a group of guys, having just finished the grueling 82-game schedule of an NHL season plus training camp and exhibition, decide to suit up in the red and white Maple Leaf and play for free on behalf of a country that can't help but be challenged in terms of following the tournament speaks to their commitment and their compete level.

I love watching this tournament, because unlike a best-on-best, you never really know who will show up, what lines will form, who will create chemistry with who, even among potential rival teams. Marchand and Gallagher as the best of friends - their playing styles so similar - despite the intense rivalry back home. It varies so much from year to year.

If anything, Canada has the least to play for and yet they show up every year regardless and more often than not, are in the running for the Gold.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
There have been some comments questioning the level of commitment of Canadian players but some Europeans have it all backwards.

We are talking about a tournament that very few Canadians get to watch until the final games, because they take place during the work day in Canadian time zones.

We are talking about a tournament that takes place in its entirety at the same time as our beloved professional league's playoffs - a league that predates the World Championships as its own event by 13 years.

Meanwhile Canada, the founding nation of the sport as it exists today, has hosted this "world" tournament one single time in 92 years.

I've heard snide comments about players taking a holiday in Europe but let's be serious here - these are millionaire NHLers - they can certainly afford to take a holiday in Europe with their wives and families on their own dime without having to interrupt it consistently to attend practices and games.

Expats and tourists from Canada certainly show up (as I have), but we are dwarfed by the legions of European fans, both those who attend and those who watch during prime time on television.

Given all that, the fact that a group of guys, having just finished the grueling 82-game schedule of an NHL season plus training camp and exhibition, decide to suit up in the red and white Maple Leaf and play for free on behalf of a country that can't help but be challenged in terms of following the tournament speaks to their commitment and their compete level.

I love watching this tournament, because unlike a best-on-best, you never really know who will show up, what lines will form, who will create chemistry with who, even among potential rival teams. Marchand and Gallagher as the best of friends - their playing styles so similar - despite the intense rivalry back home. It varies so much from year to year.

If anything, Canada has the least to play for and yet they show up every year regardless and more often than not, are in the running for the Gold.
All of this. Extremely well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad