GDT: WC QF Sweden vs Canada

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
There have been some comments questioning the level of commitment of Canadian players but some Europeans have it all backwards.

We are talking about a tournament that very few Canadians get to watch until the final games, because they take place during the work day in Canadian time zones.

We are talking about a tournament that takes place in its entirety at the same time as our beloved professional league's playoffs - a league that predates the World Championships as its own event by 13 years.

Meanwhile Canada, the founding nation of the sport as it exists today, has hosted this "world" tournament one single time in 92 years.

I've heard snide comments about players taking a holiday in Europe but let's be serious here - these are millionaire NHLers - they can certainly afford to take a holiday in Europe with their wives and families on their own dime without having to interrupt it consistently to attend practices and games.

Expats and tourists from Canada certainly show up (as I have), but we are dwarfed by the legions of European fans, both those who attend and those who watch during prime time on television.

Given all that, the fact that a group of guys, having just finished the grueling 82-game schedule of an NHL season plus training camp and exhibition, decide to suit up in the red and white Maple Leaf and play for free on behalf of a country that can't help but be challenged in terms of following the tournament speaks to their commitment and their compete level.

I love watching this tournament, because unlike a best-on-best, you never really know who will show up, what lines will form, who will create chemistry with who, even among potential rival teams. Marchand and Gallagher as the best of friends - their playing styles so similar - despite the intense rivalry back home. It varies so much from year to year.

If anything, Canada has the least to play for and yet they show up every year regardless and more often than not, are in the running for the Gold.
You nailed it perfectly.

Reactions: pictman

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, older generations still have this silly inferiority complex about Sweden but the young are pretty much over it already. We share a lot of history and culture and Sweden is simply very much like Finland as a society. In that sense it's a "safe" and harmless rivalry (and pretty one sided, Swedes tend to support us if anything). Russia is totally a different story. Not harmless.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Well, that was a surprise finish. I saw only glimpses of the game but judging by the shot count (especially the second period), this was probably a deserved outcome. Oh well, I was hoping for a Finland/Sweden rematch in the playoff stage :(

Sweden has taken up the choking game the last several years. Reminds of Finland many years ago.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Meanwhile Canada, the founding nation of the sport as it exists today, has hosted this "world" tournament one single time in 92 years.
And I think that is a shame, I'd be in favor of hosting it in the US and Canada. Especially if it will help to raise the popularity of the tournament in North America. I want the World Championship/World Cup to be for hockey what the FIFA World Cup is for soccer, the pinnacle of the sport! I am in favor of all suggestions that helps it get nudged in that direction

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I dont understand why finns complain on ab13. there is like thousands of finns who are even worse than ab13. just go to facebook and youtube to read. swedes are gay, soft, cant play hockey, are worse than romania and we have never won gold, said thousands of finns today. Swedes never bash finland like this. Finns are bulling swedes all the time while swedes have respect for finland. its a major difference.

Take a look at the comment above me as an exemple...
And i bet there's equal amount of Swedes in youtube etc.. Which means nothing..

Ab13 constantly come to Finnish topics to troll.

Then there's Swedish newspapers, which are really bad also.. (at 2019, there were several newspapers saying you're going to win easily " we are only appetite for you guys" etc.)

Havent seen same from finnish newspapers.

Vimppe

Nov 21, 2017
So if you read facebook or youtube and comments there, what sample of people there will probably write? I would not be afraid to say that life in Finland is harder than in Sweden, it depends on the area, of course, but Finland is a poorer country than Sweden and living conditions are simply different. As far as hockey is concerned, it is not true that Finns bully the Swedes in such numbers, here it depends on what contributions you read and what you are looking for. What was it like for the Finns when they never won the WHC, the Swedes didn't make fun of them?
There is not much difference in GDP per capita. Life in Finland is not harder than in Sweden and living conditions are basically equal.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
And i bet there's equal amount of Swedes in youtube etc.. Which means nothing..

Ab13 constantly come to Finnish topics to troll.

Then there's Swedish newspapers, which are really bad also.. (at 2019, there were several newspapers saying you're going to win easily " we are only appetite for you guys" etc.)

Havent seen same from finnish newspapers.
I don’t troll because I don’t rate one of your defencemen

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
AB "Dahlin will become better than Makar and Fox" 13 🤣
I think so yes. He’s already probably better than Fox for me. Irrelevant to the conversation though. I’m not hating on Finland because I think Heiskanen is overrated. I have argued that Laine is underrated multiple times.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think so yes. He’s already probably better than Fox for me. Irrelevant to the conversation though. I’m not hating on Finland because I think Heiskanen is overrated. I have argued that Laine is underrated multiple times.
All 3 are exceptional... It's a nice argument to have!

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Not trying to take a piss but the last 4 years have been a disaster for Sweden at international adult level. I'm honestly feeling bad for you fans. But you did win two in a row 2017-18 and that was impressive.

So Garpenlöv's reign is over and a new era is about to begin.

Reactions: Czechboy

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
All 3 are exceptional... It's a nice argument to have!
Yeah. And I’m a Rangers fan so I obviously love Fox too. And I like Makar because I enjoy watching entertaining hockey players. It’s not a debate I want to have again right now though. People know what I think.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Irrelevant to the conversation? Yet you came to Finnish roster topic, saying Dahlin is far better than Heiskanen, and will become better than Makar and Fox. Only because someone said "Heiskanen is best defender in tournament"

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Irrelevant to the conversation? Yet you came to Finnish roster topic, saying Dahlin is far better than Heiskanen, and will become better than Makar and Fox. Only because someone said "Heiskanen is best defender in tournament"
If someone says Heiskanen is the best defender in the tournament, it’s relevant to the team Finland thread to respond with ”I don’t think he is”. But whatever. Enjoy your genius coach and home fans and clutch Antilla and all that. Be happy and don’t worry about my hockey opinions.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
If someone says Heiskanen is the best defender in the tournament, it’s relevant to the team Finland thread to respond with ”I don’t think he is”. But whatever. Enjoy your genius coach and home fans and clutch Antilla and all that. Be happy and don’t worry about my hockey opinions.
*Anttila. And you guys enjoy new Hc (hopefully better than Garpenlöv, though that's not difficult i guess)

Reactions: AB13

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Not trying to take a piss but the last 4 years have been a disaster for Sweden at international adult level. I'm honestly feeling bad for you fans. But you did win two in a row 2017-18 and that was impressive.

So Garpenlöv's reign is over and a new era is about to begin.
Not really controversial to say in here. They were terrible, caused by insane missmanagement from the federation.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Not really controversial to say in here. They were terrible, caused by insane missmanagement from the federation.
New tournament next year. Both Finland and Sweden will be stronger then. Glad Jalonen will continue as a HC at least one more year. Who will Garpen's his successor? Allman, Monte, Mårts? Are you Swedish btw?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
New tournament next year. Both Finland and Sweden will be stronger then. Glad Jalonen will continue as a HC at least one more year. Who will Garpen's his successor? Allman, Monte, Mårts? Are you Swedish btw?
Sam Hallam is his successor. Very promising. Him or Rönnberg was who I was hoping the federation would hire.
Yes I am Swedish.

Reactions: IceHockeyDude

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
*Anttila. And you guys enjoy new Hc (hopefully better than Garpenlöv, though that's not difficult i guess)
Hallam, the new coach, is a three time SHL winner (but with stacked rosters). I’m quite hopeful. But anyone with any experience would obviously be better than Garpenlöv. Think most of us would make better roster selections, genuinely.

Reactions: Dala and Snowsii

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3