GDT: WC QF Sweden vs Canada

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If saying that Finland got lucky when they won is what some posters believe, they have every right to say that. It could be that they are just voicing an opinion, while not intentionally trying to come off as toxic. I also don't think any side is more guilty of "excuses" than the other really. When Sweden beat Finland at the U18 semis all the talk was about referees and how that was the reason behind the result. Depending on your point of view you could see that as an excuse, or as a valid opinion and genuine reason for why what happened, happened.

I choose to not care at all about those kind of posts. If my team win and people post things that paint my team in a negative light, it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the win at all. And I don't think posts like that make them toxic either. It's okay to voice your opinion in whatever way you want to.

My point is that I do not see any reason to start a poster-bashing competition where all you do is talk about how bad certain posters are. Care less about strangers on the internet instead.
The problem is that are not here to give their opinion, you just have to read their history of posts to know it's trolling not an opinion, they take nationalism too far and are here just to stir up shit, how is that an opinion? and it's the same guys year after year.

And it ruins the atmosphere here for mature hockey discussion. sure, you can put them on ignore, but why should anyone have to do that? They should just be dealt with by the powers that be and let the real hockey fans enjoy the site the way it is meant to be. The place would be so much better all around.

The whole thing is just totally unnecessary and an annoyance that doesn't have to be.

Reactions: karhukissa

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
The problem is that are not here to give their opinion, you just have to read their history of posts to know it's trolling not an opinion, they take nationalism too far and are here just to stir up shit, how is that an opinion? and it's the same guys year after year.

And it ruins the atmosphere here for mature hockey discussion. sure, you can put them on ignore, but why should anyone have to do that? They should just be dealt with by the powers that be and let the real hockey fans enjoy the site the way it is meant to be. The place would be so much better all around.

The whole thing is just totally unnecessary and an annoyance that doesn't have to be.

and did the Finns already forget that typical Finns went over to the border, took down the Swedish flag and put up the Finnish flag ?

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
and typical Finns didn't do that ?
Define me a typical Finn first? There are quite many of us here, some have more things in common with average Canadian than another Finn. People are different you know. Just like i don't say that Swedes this and that, i said "couple of Swedes".

I don't sit here and say that Finns are saints, but atleast i haven't noticed big amount of them storming to bash Sweden after they win, correct me if i'm wrong. And sure, there are toxic Finns and complaining about refs is common behaviour to us (which is annoying) but so does few selected individuals from every country.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Why is Finland brought up here...

Anyways... Canada roster looks awful, but surprised they came back. Will over skill I guess...

Is be shocked if they win it all.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
and did the Finns already forget that typical Finns went over to the border, took down the Swedish flag and put up the Finnish flag ?
And have you allready forgot, that everytime Fin meet Swe, Swedish newspapers claim it's going to be a piece of cake to your team.. So F*King arrogant..

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Anyways... Canada roster looks awful, but surprised they came back. Will over skill I guess...

The roster doesn't look awful, its actually a much better roster on paper than last years team that went on to win gold.

Reactions: Mainiac and jj cale

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It's a pretty good lineup for the World Championships.

Better than some past rosters.

Informed followers of the tournament certainly believed it was capable of winning Gold before the first puck was dropped in the tournament.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
And have you allready forgot, that everytime Fin meet Swe, Swedish newspapers claim it's going to be a piece of cake to your team.. So F*King arrogant..

oh like the pineapple medal for the Olympic ? that was a good one I have to give you that :)

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
How are you feeling now? The boys decided to prolong their European vacation.

I was actually rooting for Canada because i betted some coffee money. 50 swedish kronor on Canada winning, and i only bet once or twice per year when its hockey WC´s or WJC´s. I did that when Sweden were ahead with 3-0 with one period left. 36 times the money at BWIN. But i missed the win because they didnt take it in ordinary time. Well, it was still fun.

The only reason i did that was because i wasn´t impressed by neither team. If Sweden would have been good i wouldn´t even think of betting but i got the impression Ullmark were saving their asses a couple of times.
I guess i was right and i luckily jinxed the ever arrogant swedish hockeyfans like AB13 and a couple of more.
I mean just look at which players scored the 2-3 and 3-3 equaliser :D

Reactions: Dominance

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019

You saw their reaction after OT winner, these are the games that lits whole team on fire. In short tournaments like this, these things matter a lot. Canada has enough skill to win, just like couple other countries. But it's more about how that team grows together and mental strenght, again this win and way they got back, is something that can't be underestimated.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Voicing opinion and stating arguments like "lolol trash finland won" are two different things, well technically same things if you are 14 year old angry teenager. I respect opinions but it would be nice if person has some arguments behind it.

Hockey is a bottom line business, only win matters. "Got lucky, didn't deserve, he wasn't playing" are small D arguments which has nothing to do with the result when talking about professional sports. I would be embarassed to write stuff that hey we didn't have him so we lost or find some excuses.

If Slovakia beats us today, last thing what i'm saying or thinking is that "well if we had this or this player from the NHL.." They are not here, it's this team vs their team and better team wins. You need to deserve your luck.
No, if you think you lost because you didn’t get Hintz or something, you can absolutely say that. If you think the loss is all bullshit and down to referees being biased, you can absolutely say that. It’s voicing an opinion and absolutely acceptable if that is what you believe. I don’t think comments like that destroy the board at all, and I don’t think you have to have that fake ”congrats opponents you deserved the win” attitude when that’s not what you actually believe. No need to want to police what people can say and not after a loss.

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
oh like the pineapple medal for the Olympic ? that was a good one I have to give you that :)
Or 2019.. every newspaper in Sweden were saying you're going to win.. And if i were you.. i wouldnt even mention -95 ;) (nice helmets btw)

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
By far the worst coach and how it could have turned out. That idiot shouldn't even go back to Sweden, why the f*** did they play passive shit again? Finland f***ed them in the same way at the Olympics in the group, now in QF. Even though it was two-thirds 3-0, somewhere deep in my soul, I knew that a draw was not out of the question. In the same way, they lost the lead against Finland a few months back, lenze it was a group.

This loss doesn't actually shock or surprise me, it just proves what the tragedy SIF chose as its coach. Garpenlöv's CV contains truly admirable achievements .. assistant two seasons in Djurgarden 20 years ago, team manager Sweden in the season 2010-2011. And then Grönborg's assistant, head coach? Never.

After a goal in 3-2 Canada, everything came out. Buly, gaining puck, immediate transition to the zone and again pressure on Ullmark. Other bulls, pressure in the goal, Barzalo's haluz, but two Canadians in front of the goal, no seduction and the puck was just behind the line. What did Garpenlöv do? Nothing, classically and literally, shit. Julien took 2-3 TO after the goal, the fool didn't react.

But all this follows from the fact that if Sweden leads, it will not be able to keep the match and finish it. In the second period they had PP, they could try to add quarter goals ... and what did they do? They defended the Canadians for a minute and a half, playing in their armored zone. From this I began to feel that the players can leave mentally over time, that the shortcut is falling apart and there is no personality on the bench who knows what to do and thus calm down.

I'm just sorry for Ullmark, who caught everything and kept hoping for progress. Dahlin didn't have to throw the puck out either, but it was already in the part of the match where the seducers trampled the water, they were down not only physically, and throwing it at him was nonsense. Sweden once managed to manage these types of matches, they would have to give a maximum of one goal and play in the middle zone or in the offensive part.

It is time to admit that Sweden in the top 5 outside the best on best tournament is the weakest, respectively, except for the USA and their approach to the WHC. By the way, Garpenlöv, when he was Grönborg's assistant, was in charge of contact with NHL players. Therefore, in 2017, 2018 and 2019, there were over twenty players at WHC. So why didn't they come to help Garpenlöv now? Well, because they lost faith in his ability to lead the team in the match. That's all there is to it and they can go golf. It's not a shame to lose the lead 3-0, it's a shame to finish the third period exactly as the Swedes did.

Wallmark had to hit an empty goal in the first period, they combined them unbelievably there but did not add a 3-0 goal in the first period. But I'm not going to write here if ... Canada clearly shot them and only Ullmark kept them, after two thirds it could have been 3-2.

When Sweden is out, then perhaps Finland will finally break the home tournament overturn and Jalonen will imitate Sweden in 2006. Double in one season.

Reactions: canswetoxic

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

That’s subjective. There is absolutely no reason to fake niceness and sportsmanship after a loss and there is no reason to put on an act and hide your opinion if you think your loss is all bullshit. If you think you lost because of luck, it’s okay say that. It’s okay to not conform to the typical ”congrats opponents” norms.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
What's with the obsession of being a "good" or "bad" poster and why are people calling each other that? Why would anyone care enough to comment that someone else is a "bad" poster? There is no reason for that. There are posters who I think are more reasonable than others but I keep that to myself.

Also, why would someone actually care about being a "bad" poster? The reasonable mindset is to just not care about what strangers on the internet think of your hockey opinions. Don't take offence.

You actually wrote something smart for once. Not that overly biased b.s like you usually do. Härligt gubben! I´m impressed.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That’s subjective. There is absolutely no reason to fake niceness and sportsmanship after a loss and there is no reason to put on an act and hide your opinion if you think your loss is all bullshit. If you think you lost because of luck, it’s okay say that. It’s okay to not conform to the typical ”congrats opponents” norms.
It's not subjective at all unless one WANTS to see it as subjective. When every year it's the same guys who can say not one good thing about their opponent (especially teams they hate) can't take one loss without always crying about refs, make comments deriding their opponent at every single opportunity every game every year you know damn well that's no longer an opinion.............it's just childish hatred trolling. You know that, cmon

It's not needed here, it's kid stuff, period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad