Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
It was on SOP... so free to read. (though the Athletic is worth paying for. :nod:)
It really is, I signed up based on a few of the free articles and the fact that they hired Appleyard. Definitely worth it, especially with the discounts they are offering. Cheaper than stuff like SI, and lot more content. (although no swimsuit photos, if that is your thing)

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
edmontons defense needs help they ice the puck or throw wild stretch passes up the ice to wings that jump the zone they play with little structure in their own end

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I wonder how far off an offer to Minny like this would be:

Simmonds and Hagg for Staal and Niederreiter ?

I would love Nino on this team...and his contract is pretty nice. Staal could serve as a one year vet (an actual good one)to hold a spot for Frost. He does have a NMC tho.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

I would love Nino on this team...and his contract is pretty nice. Staal could serve as a one year vet (an actual good one)to hold a spot for Frost. He does have a NMC tho.
I'd take Staal as a placeholder, but no thanks to Niederreiter. He's not worth his contract and not someone we should be targeting in a trade for Simmonds

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia

Ignoring Niederreiter, you realize that Staal has almost as many goals as Simmonds has points this year, right?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I wonder what happens to his value if Simmonds needs off-season surgery. We heard whispers it might be a groin injury. That's something he could play through while delaying surgery. Thanks to the PP he's still pacing for 27 goals and 50 points, which isn't that far off his norm, and it's never just stats with him. And other GMs know he's had some bumps and bruises, so I don't think it'll be held against him too much if he just needs rest. But surgery, with the potential to affect next year? Not good.

Regardless, this is what happens when you watch an asset depreciate. 1 year left, off a down year does nothing for value at his age. The fantasizing about outlandish offers for "one of the most valuable contracts in the league" seems a distant memory. Offers need to be scaled back. Of course they could just say, "f*** it," and re-sign him. :scared:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
What?! He’s better than Simmonds straight up.

Trade makes no sense for Minny. Giving up two of their best players for a rental and a low upside Dman.

Guys like Simmonds and Hagg are probably more valued by GMs than they are on this board. I still think GMs will be salivating over Simmer.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Guys like Simmonds and Hagg are probably more valued by GMs than they are on this board. I still think GMs will be salivating over Simmer.
Maybe but that doesn’t mean they are going to get two of a team’s better roster players.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I believe we could sell Simmer high on the Stars.

They are starving for the post-season but lack on secondary scoring and complimentary players instead of elite talent. Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Klingberg and Bishop are a pretty good foundation.

Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would not hesitate in moving Simmonds for Nino. He's a much better player 5v5 and younger. Minny doesn't touch that though.

Our best hope for Simmonds is futures from a team in win-now mode that wants to bolster its depth.

Reactions: AdamParrot

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Simmonds is a team worse -14. If anything gets this team's attention...that's it.

"Fun" fact, Simmonds has been a "minus" player in every season (and all 3 postseasons) in Orange and Black. Only one "plus" season in his 10 year NHL career.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Exactly.

Stars management wants more out of the current line-up and the fans feel no different.

Make it Happen Ron.

If the blues miss this seasons, I could see them being interested as well. RHS RW is probably their only glaring need outside of a 1G.. which theyd have if they just let hutton play - but I digress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad