Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The time to trade Simmonds was last summer when the acquiring team had 2 playoffs runs with Simmonds.

And as I have said for a few years now, trading Simmonds earlier...like a year or 2 ago, the return for him would be closer to helping us TODAY. By waiting, now the return is likely not helping us for a few years.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Honestly, this season has killed a lot of his value. I don't think we'll have to worry about re-signing him to a big contract anymore, but I do think we'll get much less back for him than we would have last season or even at this deadline.

I don't want to re sign him for anything. I'd rather see a guy like Aube-Kubel in a top 9 role or use cap space to go sign a different top 9 winger. Simmonds is a liability at 5v5.

I'm thrilled if we simply insert Aube Kubel, Frost, and Vorobyev into our top 9 and trade Simmonds for another 1st round pick at the draft.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Is it possible for us to move Simmonds for a 1st on draft night, then turn around and trade that pick?

would any of the teams in the 3-8 range move their pick for three 1st round picks?? I'll take one Filip Zadina.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Is it possible for us to move Simmonds for a 1st on draft night, then turn around and trade that pick?

would any of the teams in the 3-8 range move their pick for three 1st round picks?? I'll take one Filip Zadina.

Its have to be a team with depth issues and a shallow pool. Edmonton comes to mind, but their probably prefer to higher player who can impact now before their cap situation explodes.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If we trade him it’s going to be late next season or the draft. He will certainly rebound next year. As a down year he’s an easy 20 goal scorer. We just saw schenn go for two 1sts. That was looked at as a steal at the time. A prime Simmonds is worth far more than schenn. Considering the diff in term I think we should get a first and a good prospect.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The time to trade Simmonds was last summer when the acquiring team had 2 playoffs runs with Simmonds.

And as I have said for a few years now, trading Simmonds earlier...like a year or 2 ago, the return for him would be closer to helping us TODAY. By waiting, now the return is likely not helping us for a few years.

I wanted to do it last summer, too - for that reason, and because we were never going to go anywhere this season anyway, and because we had enough leadership + intangibles already anyway, etc. There's just almost no way he isn't significantly hurt right now and for most of this season, and that effects the way we see him, but I was ready to move him long before this.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
At this point the Flyers will be lucky to get a 1st and a b level prospect. There are not going to be a lot of teams willing to give up two prime assets for one season of 30 year old Simmonds.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The dream, is still a Lucic type return.

#13 draft pick overall, picked Zboril...could have been Barzal
Jones, who was then flipped for another 1st Rd pick , ended up as Trent Frederic
Prospect from SJ, Shane Kurley 4th line C
Colin Miller, NHL ready Dman who now has 39 points this year for Vegas

Boston got great value for Lucic. We can only hope we get that type of return.

Lucic when traded, had a 18 goal 44 point season.
Simmonds right now has 23 goals 44 points with games left to add to that.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Jones, who was then flipped for another 1st Rd pick , ended up as Trent Frederic

Lucic turned 27 that summer. Simmonds is turning 30. I would expect a little less because of that. If they can get the same deal they got Schenn I would be a happy: a late 2018 1st, a 2019 1st for Simmonds and taking back a salary dump.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Did Lucic have two years or one year left on his contract? I honestly don't know.

EDIT -- Looks like one year.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Lucic turned 27 that summer. Simmonds is turning 30. I would expect a little less because of that. If they can get the same deal they got Schenn I would be a happy: a late 2018 1st, a 2019 1st for Simmonds and taking back a salary dump.
The age doesn't matter much if it's for a 1 year rental.

But yes, I too would be happy with a Schenn like return....just no Lehtera v2.0

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The age doesn't matter much if it's for a 1 year rental.

But yes, I too would be happy with a Schenn like return....just no Lehtera v2.0

Age matters if the acquiring team has interest in extending him. Doubt you are getting the equivalent of two firsts if a team only views Simmonds as a 1 year rental.

LA likely factored in that in theory they would be getting a good bit of Lucic's prime if they re-signed him.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Obviously I want a solid return, but it’s not at the point where I want the moon and nothing short or no dice. He’s addition by subtraction, and I don’t want that contract and roster spot blocked long term.

Still fear the worst.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Obviously I want a solid return, but it’s not at the point where I want the moon and nothing short or no dice. He’s addition by subtraction, and I don’t want that contract and roster spot blocked long term.

Still fear the worst.

Damn, that's cold.

I know he's not a good ES player but "addition by subtraction" is a stretch to me. I'm sure you'll have a well-though out explanation, and I will read it, but I can't imagine ever agreeing with calling Wayne Simmonds "addition by subtraction."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad