Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I see him as a guy who will finish his career here. Cupboard is stacked, we’ll have close to 20 mil in cap space this summer and more in 2019, signing him isn’t going to prevent us from keeping anyone. By the time anyone else is up for an extension 28/93 contracts will be up. We’ve become obsessed with cap space and bad contracts cause it’s all we know. Paying him what he’s worth (I tend to think he’d take a little less) is not going to hurt this team whether his play falls off or not.

Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Konecny
Patrick
Lindblom
Ghost
Provy
Sanheim
Myers
Morin
Frost
Allison
Rubstov
Ratcliffe
Aube Kubel

Plus two more 1’s this year. I don’t understand the obsession with everyone wanting to get a haul for Simmonds. There is literally not a single organizational need. Everything at this point is a bonus. He should stay and see it through with 28 and 93. If we get a cup I’d want him here for it whether his play fell off or not.
There is something that this organization lacks with its prospects... we have some 1st line talent- but we don't have that elite talent... hopefully Patrick turns into that.

i say keep Simmonds because his "vet presence" is something this team needs.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
There is something that this organization lacks with its prospects... we have some 1st line talent- but we don't have that elite talent... hopefully Patrick turns into that.

i say keep Simmonds because his "vet presence" is something this team needs.
No. This team has plenty more valuable vet presences in G, Jake and Couturier at this point.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I say keep Simmonds because his goal scoring is something this team needs. Also, viable wingers on the 3rd/4th lines that can do something are nice.

I realize the team needs to reach its quota of dumping a 25-goal scorer every 1.5 years.

Wayne is going to score another 150 goals in the NHL, they should all be with the Flyers.

Not worried about his cap number either. The Flyers are making the playoffs while paying a 4th line of Filp/Weise/Lehtera $12 M, they can fit Wayne's $5-$6M in there.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Frankly with the team competing for a playoff spot expectations for next year are going to be high. I think simmonds stays and cashes in after upping his playoff numbers. Is it good asset management? No. But until someone pushes him out i think he stays and hell be too valuable to move at the deadline.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Flames have a need for a top-6 RW and no picks in the 2018 draft for the first two rounds.

With Gio, Hamilton, Brodie and Stone I would ask them at the draft what the price for Travis Hamonic is.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I say keep Simmonds because his goal scoring is something this team needs. Also, viable wingers on the 3rd/4th lines that can do something are nice.

I realize the team needs to reach its quota of dumping a 25-goal scorer every 1.5 years.

Wayne is going to score another 150 goals in the NHL, they should all be with the Flyers.

Not worried about his cap number either. The Flyers are making the playoffs while paying a 4th line of Filp/Weise/Lehtera $12 M, they can fit Wayne's $5-$6M in there.
Simmonds has 5 5v5 goals this year. He’s scoring goals at a lower rate than Brandon Manning and Dale Weise 5v5 (and scoring overall at the same rate as those guys). He has 10 PP goals in 61 games which is good but Patrick has 3 in 7 games as his replacement and already has better vision and playmaking ability below the dots.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Simmonds has 5 5v5 goals this year. He’s scoring goals at a lower rate than Brandon Manning and Dale Weise 5v5 (and scoring overall at the same rate as those guys). He has 10 PP goals in 61 games which is good but Patrick has 3 in 7 games as his replacement and already has better vision and playmaking ability below the dots.

Everyone made the same mistake with Schenn lasts year. After having 16, 11, 15 EV goals the previous 3 years, he only had 8 last year so everyone was fine getting rid of him, even though his overall production was exactly the same. Guess what, he has 16 EV goals this year and will probably set career highs in every category.

Simmonds has played most of the year hurt and has 20 goals in 61 games, he'll probably get 25. He's not just good on the PP, he's probably the best net presence in the entire league. PP2 has close to no production on the year, it's another area where having depth wouldn't hurt.

Decades of watching this team not value goal scoring is downright infuriating. I'd be somewhat OK with letting Simmonds go if we had Kiefer Bellows coming up next year but we don't draft guys like that in the first round.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Schenn wasn’t 30 and in need of a fat new contract. It was reasonable to expect him to get better. I feel pretty confident that we have seen Simmonds’ best hockey. It’s OK to value goal scorers but they have to do other things too. I don’t think Simmer does enough. He doesn’t make his linemates better. He’s dependent on the PP to get most of his production which is fine but we have a 19 year old, #2 overall pick, that looks primed and ready to take over and he actually might be better. The PP will be good as long as Giroux is still ticking. It was still really good without Wayne just like it’s still really good without Schenn. I’m not sure what Bellows has to do with Simmonds. They are completely different players.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm confident we've seen the best of Simmonds, too. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be re-signed.

Players of Simmonds' ilk age really well and have long careers. He's going to play until his mid-30s minimum. Meanwhile we'll have the 2020 version of Dale Weise or Jori Lehtera (or Taylor Leier) on the 4th line.

We've had a significant problem with depth since 2011, letting good players go for no reason isn't going to fix that.

Bellows is a goal-scoring winger that we could have had in our system and ready to go next year. When Simmonds goes we'll have Konecny, Giroux and who?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm confident we've seen the best of Simmonds, too. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be re-signed.

Players of Simmonds' ilk age really well and have long careers. He's going to play until his mid-30s minimum. Meanwhile we'll have the 2020 version of Dale Weise or Jori Lehtera (or Taylor Leier) on the 4th line.

We've had a significant problem with depth since 2011, letting good players go for no reason isn't going to fix that.

Bellows is a goal-scoring winger that we could have had in our system and ready to go next year. When Simmonds goes we'll have Konecny, Giroux and who?
So you think it's a good idea to re-sign Simmonds for his 31-36 year old seasons, to play on the 3rd line, making 5-6 million?

Yeah that won't hurt us ever....

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Examples?

Are you suggesting Simmonds might be a 4th line player during his next contract?

With the speed of today's game in order to keep up you need to be able to make plays with the puck- quick decisions, short passes, etc. Even if you lose a step or two, you can be an effective player if you can pass the puck. That is not Simmonds' strong suit. That's where he struggles. We are already seeing a decline in his play. I don't want to be on the train when he's approaching his late 30s. He's part of the reason the Flyers have a depth problem. The Flyers won't have to dress the likes of Lehtera, Weise, and Leier on the 4th line. Who knows what the head boss has in mind, but he'll have plenty of (good) options. I'm sure of that.

The Flyers have the deepest prospect pool in the league. Part of the reason you collect all of those picks is so that you aren't forced to sign veterans entering the decline phase of their careers. Hextall talks about competing for the next 10 years. Voracek and Konecny are RW 1 and 2 for the next 6 years or so. Behind those guys you have Wade Allison, Tanner Laczynski, Aube-Kubel, Marody, Vecchione. Those are just the natural right shot guys. Giroux could end up moving over to the right side later in his career if need be. They have 2 more first rounders this year and who knows what in the future or what they could recoup in a Simmonds trade. They'll have depth with or without Simmonds in the fold.

He's a perimeter player that scores goals from the perimeter against kids his age. His game didn't translate to the college game and I doubt very much he makes an impact in the NHL next year.

I know it's a Flyers fan thing to worry about not having goal scorers and a "sniper" but if you collect enough good, smart players that can drive play, you're going to score goals just by volume of chances.
You don't think Travis Hamonic is a reliable 2nd pairing defenseman? I'll give you that he didn't paly his best hockes this year in Calgary but he would still upgrade the D on the right side until Myers is ready to take over.
He's reliable by Hakstol's standards, but he's not very good. He's overrated. He's just got name recognition. Gudas is better and I don't want another "reliable" vet that is going to block a guy like Myers from establishing himself in the NHL.

Last edited:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I guess we will have to wait and see which teams are in the mix as trading partners. Calgary having no first in 18, would require a first in 19. The only Calgary prospects that I like e are Tyler Parsons or Juuso Valimaki. Edmonton on the other hand, may part with their pick lotto protected. Landing Tkachuk I’m all for that.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It wouldn't blow my mind to see Hextall rather have a 2019 pick+ in a Simmonds trade. It would be very like him to have 2 1sts to play with for the third year in a row and 4 years out of 5 (not to mention our #35 and #36 picks).

I'm not sure what the 2019 draft will look like at this stage comparatively because you never really do this early. I do think 2018 got a tad overhyped as a whole, though there are always certain steals. And 3 picks in one draft is a little excessive, especially with how many kids we need to filter in. It could also serve as capital, if something develops 1 year from now. Unless we can get a blue chipper in lieu of a 1st of course.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I have thought about this since last year, and the Flyers have handed out some ridiculous overpriced contracts to some mediocre players over the years so I can live with an overpaid Simmonds, maybe he is breaking down, maybe his production is going down, but on the other side he keeps other teams honest and he gets a considerable amount of respect from all around the league, he’s a Flyer through and through I’m old enough to understand what that means, and maybe I’m corny enough to want to keep guys around in this team that fit that mold

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am totally fine if the 1st comes in 2019...for all the reason Magua stated.

Trading Simmonds is our last move to add extra 1sts to our prospect depth. Gotta make the most of it.

Now watch us re-sign him. But if they do, please make sure we can trade him with a limited NTC, have declining real money, and expose him in the ED too.

Don't get boxed into a corner with re-signing him.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
2019 and 2020 1sts. Hope that team trends downhill exponentially. Win lottery both times; get Hughes and Lafrenière.

Actually I'm now thinking Hexy extends Simmer in the off-season.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I worry about how they overvalue the intangibles aspect, but Hextall did talk around the deadline of not being emotional. We'll see. I have zero confidence they trade him though.

Simmonds on the ice is replaceable. They even got a couple weeks with Patrick scoring 3 PP goals and getting a dandy assist, and the PP unit not missing a beat. It's not an unknown now, even if small sample. Simmonds has no other special value besides on the PP. And suddenly he looks replaceable there too. You were gifted a #2 pick for a reason, Flyers: to play him as much as possible. 5v5 he's a liability, and a 3rd liner at present. And he's only 29, with 1 year left. What will he look like in 4 years, halfway through his contract, deserving to be on PP2, and making $6 mil a year?

There just isn't a logical, business-like reason to re-sign him. We could realistically save money, replace most of his PP production, replace more than his ES production, have optionality, AND get assets just by not signing him. If your first, second, and third reasons are emotional in nature......

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad