Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Claude Giroux last year had 5on5 on ice sh% of 5.95 and is up to 10.54. We might be in for another rebound year with Simmonds sitting at lowly 4.92.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Claude Giroux last year had 5on5 on ice sh% of 5.95 and is up to 10.54. We might be in for another rebound year with Simmonds sitting at lowly 4.92.

We don't know the extent of his injuries. It should surprise no one if they're worse than we think. This is really his first season not at full health, minus that broken foot near the end of 14-15......though it's not like that's an issue that magically goes away as you age.

But it's now 2 years in a row scoring as a 4th liner 5v5. I agree that likely he is not this bad again. But at the same time, his puck skills are quite average, he isn't exactly a high hockey sense type, and he's always been a bit of a passenger. None of those define Giroux. Even in his glory days he was more an average 2nd liner. How big of a rebound are we expecting exactly? His spot in the depth chart is now a firm 3RW at best, behind TK and Voracek. He may have to play with less talented players and make them better, wherein he has trouble. By next season, surely the season after, he might not even be the 3rd best RW on this team. And that might be year 1 of a new long-term contract. On another team maybe he could rebound for a few years, but is that here?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Let's assume Ottawa gets the #2 overall. Is this a fair trade?

Ottawa
Rubtsov
Simmonds
Flyers #1
St Louis #1

Flyers
2nd overall
Gaborik

Our prospect pool is really deep .we can go for quality over quantity at this point .

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We don't know the extent of his injuries. It should surprise no one if they're worse than we think. This is really his first season not at full health, minus that broken foot near the end of 14-15......though it's not like that's an issue that magically goes away as you age.

But it's now 2 years in a row scoring as a 4th liner 5v5. I agree that likely he is not this bad again. But at the same time, his puck skills are quite average, he isn't exactly a high hockey sense type, and he's always been a bit of a passenger. None of those define Giroux. Even in his glory days he was more an average 2nd liner. How big of a rebound are we expecting exactly? His spot in the depth chart is now a firm 3RW at best, behind TK and Voracek. He may have to play with less talented players and make them better, wherein he has trouble. By next season, surely the season after, he might not even be the 3rd best RW on this team. And that might be year 1 of a new long-term contract. On another team maybe he could rebound for a few years, but is that here?

Oh, come on. We both know he'll be a 1RW again as soon as Konecny ties his skates wrong, or steps on the ice left foot first instead of right.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
at the draft trade him to edmonton for their 1st round pick and nugent hopkins then resign him when he becomes a free agent for 5x5

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You might get a late 1st rd pick for Simmonds (the only teams that will be interested are playoff teams that need to boost depth and PP scoring), and maybe a young 3rd/4th line caliber forward with some upside.
Which is fine, because I'd be happy to put NAK at RW on the third line next year and add a C/LW who can hold the fort until Frost and Vorobyev arrive.
Since the bottom six isn't scoring, let's add speed and at least improve their ability to forecheck and backcheck.

Reactions: BackWithaVengeance

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You might get a late 1st rd pick for Simmonds (the only teams that will be interested are playoff teams that need to boost depth and PP scoring).

Unless you sell him in the offseason and get lucky. The opportunity for an unexpected pick climb is real and has value even if a STL situation doesn’t happen again. Yet another advantage of not waiting for the deadline.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Whichever contender doesnt win the Cup this year should be our target.

depends who that team is.
if its Pittsburgh and Nashville again are you trading Simmonds to Pittsburgh?
He would surely destroy us every time we play them. I am on board with trading Simmonds. But I would prefer out west.
It is a double edged sword tho, if the Flyers trade him we could be looking at a guy who will be motivated to bounce back and in a contract year. Will there be any complaining if it happens?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
depends who that team is.
if its Pittsburgh and Nashville again are you trading Simmonds to Pittsburgh?
He would surely destroy us every time we play them. I am on board with trading Simmonds. But I would prefer out west.
It is a double edged sword tho, if the Flyers trade him we could be looking at a guy who will be motivated to bounce back and in a contract year. Will there be any complaining if it happens?

We would never trade Simmonds to a Division rival.

Toronto could be a possibility depending on how their playoff run goes.

Winnipeg is another.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
We would never trade Simmonds to a Division rival.

Toronto could be a possibility depending on how their playoff run goes.

Winnipeg is another.

well you said the Cup loser. Just throwing it out there.
I think most of us are fine with trading him. provided we can deal with the risk of him bouncing back.
I wonder if LA would take him back.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Doesn't matter if he bounces back, anymore than Schenn's performance in St Louis matters.
What matters is whether you improve the Flyers, both short- and long-run.
Since Lindblom and Patrick have shown they can replace him on the PP, his value as a Flyer has declined.
And as a 3rd line RW, he's simply not that hard to replace.

Reactions: BackWithaVengeance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad