OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My pet "who the **** is that?" band is Energy Orchard, an Irish band from 1990. I have met one British guy who remembers them. Their one/first album is just damned fine stuff.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Last one for me tonight..one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands.

Which was famously featured in one of the most important moments on Breaking Bad

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My pet "who the **** is that?" band is Energy Orchard, an Irish band from 1990. I have met one British guy who remembers them. Their one/first album is just damned fine stuff.

Good find.

Just found this band recently too. Their self titled album is great.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm going to see Bayside this Tuesday at the PlayStation Theater in Times Square. One of my all time favorite bands, I think they are in Philly this weekend and I'd highly recommend checking them out. Say Anything is the opening act as a bonus.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Maybe I need to give Weekend in the City another spin. I was so excited when that record came out and so disappointed by it when I actually listened to it that I've come to despise it.

Is This It? didn't grab a hold of me when i listened to it. I've been meaning to give it another shot.

I've noticed a lot of 90s album rankings have a huge amount of love for Achtung Baby and that's another album that just does nothing for me.

Try the song "Hard to Explain". It somehow conjures up the same sense of nostalgia as "1979", at least for me.

I'm not the biggest Pumpkins fan, (Siamese Dream is a good record but MC&TIS is an overwrought mess, which I guess is maybe the point, but really, Billy, did you need to write a Nirvana song and give it one of the most pretentious song titles in history?) but "1979" effortlessly captures that feeling of being young, no matter what generation you're a part of.

They made some weird (bad) choices on the songs to release as singles, with the exception of "One" and "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?" The songs from 3 to the end on both sides are great. And yes, I'm old enough to call them "sides" :laugh: That was my favorite band growing up, along with The Police. Their sincerity made a lot more sense in the context of the 1980s.

I also have my issues with U2, and I think I'm a bit younger than you so I preferred 90's irony to 80's sincerity, but "Acrobat" is a total sleeper off of that record.

I'd forgotten about Superdrag. Liz Phair is another one whose first album is a masterpiece that she never was able to live up to afterwards. And Superchunk at the Troc ~95 or so was the single best show I've ever been at. You basically didn't have a choice, you had to pogo or you were going to get trampled.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm going to see Bayside this Tuesday at the PlayStation Theater in Times Square. One of my all time favorite bands, I think they are in Philly this weekend and I'd highly recommend checking them out. Say Anything is the opening act as a bonus.

I went through an emo/pop-punk phase but that's all in my rearview mirror at this point. Just can't relate to the songs anymore.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I haven't heard that name in a long time. I'm pretty sure I saw Bap Kennedy do a solo gig in Hoboken in the very early 2000s. The only other time I remember hearing his name in the last 10 years was when he got Shane MacGowan to do a song with him.

I need to check them out more thoroughly. Thanks.

Liz Phair is another one whose first album is a masterpiece that she never was able to live up to afterwards. And Superchunk at the Troc ~95 or so was the single best show I've ever been at. You basically didn't have a choice, you had to pogo or you were going to get trampled.

Oh man, yes. There was nowhere to go but down from Exile, but it's still a shame.

I have the feeling we were at a lot of the same shows. I've barely been to the Troc in recent times, but it still feels like the venue where I have the most fond memories. That WDRE era was the last time I listened to the radio.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

The shows were phenomenal.

Some stuff I never expected them to do, like River of Deceit. Never in a million years did I expect to hear that done live.

Last edited:

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
currently Soundgarden/Temple of the Dog.

RIP Chris. :(

I was too young to be into the grunge scene when it was happening, but I've always loved it since I began listening to music. Even though Soundgarden was probably my least favorite of the "Big 4", I can't deny that they left their own unique imprint on it. Additionally, Cornell was one of the best rock singers of all time. This is really a huge loss for music.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Anyone in Central Jersey or on the NJT Northeast Corridor be advised that you can get tickets to see Iron Maiden at Prudential Center tomorrow for $15 on SeatGeek. Thank God for all the suckers who MUST see a basketball game where we all know the end result in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad