OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It was awul for mainstream music like the bands you mentioned..but there were some amazing indie albums released from bands like The Black Keys, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Beck, etc.
Tbf, mainstream music has been awful for 40 years. :laugh:

There are a few exceptions like Oasis, but they're few and far between.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You can blame the Telecommunications Act of 1996 for ruining mainstream music.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/...onsolidation-under-the-telecommunications-act

The law permitted corporations to buy as many radio stations as they want. Small stations playing quality music dissapeared and were replaced by stations playing whatever allowed them to generate the most ad revenue.

This is why having a college radio station near you can be crucial. They're independent and generally diverse.

I've found that act's effect is most prominent on Classic Rock stations. They went from drawing on a huge pool of diverse music to playing Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin nonstop.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is why having a college radio station near you can be crucial. They're independent and generally diverse.

I've found that act's effect is most prominent on Classic Rock stations. They went from drawing on a huge pool of diverse music to playing Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin nonstop.

Yeah the rare occasions I listen to FM radio it is usually XPN, which is of course membership supported.

I have like 13,000 songs on my iPod classic and that that number grows by around 100 every 3 months or so when I sit down to download. If i'm not listening to my iPod, it's either Pandora or Youtube.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Hello all, I have confirmed Hextall wears this hat each day to project future roster, deals, and draft picks. Only GM in the league to do this. He has been quoted "why do I need to look at game tape or look at advanced statistics when I have this freaking hat."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just had​ that album on a couple nights ago in the background. Might have to listen closer, my distant impression was that it seemed more interesting than any of the other recent Jamiroquai efforts.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'm really enjoying the new Slowdive album so far.
But Shoegaze is my kind of music, so I might be a little biased.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Just had​ that album on a couple nights ago in the background. Might have to listen closer, my distant impression was that it seemed more interesting than any of the other recent Jamiroquai efforts.
I have to listen to the whole CD. Like that song though. My kids watch the video and look in amazement.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Been listening to the new Gorillaz album a lot. Didnt know what to think of it in my first listen or two, but the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me and at this point I actually really love it.

Crazy how that happens. Same effect when Plastic Beach came out

Also, Flying Microtonal Banana by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is a really great album

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Love that album. Not often I can put an album on and listen to it the whole way through years later - but that is one of them.

It's a fantastic record. A damn shame they never came close to touching it afterwards.

Also, it wasn't that hard to find decent music in the 00's, and that's coming from a guy who came of age in the early 90's. There was a lot of great stuff out there: Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sleater-Kinney, Bloc Party, TV on the Radio, Bon Iver, Sigur Ros, the Strokes, Interpol, Spoon, OutKast, the Shins, Mogwai, Modest Mouse, the Wrens, PJ Harvey, etc., etc., etc.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's a fantastic record. A damn shame they never came close to touching it afterwards.

Also, it wasn't that hard to find decent music in the 00's, and that's coming from a guy who came of age in the early 90's. There was a lot of great stuff out there: Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sleater-Kinney, Bloc Party, TV on the Radio, Bon Iver, Sigur Ros, the Strokes, Interpol, Spoon, OutKast, the Shins, Mogwai, Modest Mouse, the Wrens, PJ Harvey, etc., etc., etc.

The Strokes is another band that just faded away after the first album (which was awesome), or at least it seemed that way to me. A band like that should have been enormous, and probably would have been, had the music industry not shattered into a million disparate pieces. I say this as someone who doesn't pay as much attention to music as I am making it sound - I'm much more of a book and TV guy than a music guy - so I could be off. It's just my impression.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
"Is This It" was a masterpiece. "Room on Fire" was still decent, but yeah, everything since then has been pretty much garbage.

Black Rebel Motorcycly Club is a band that has put out consistently good, or at least decent records so far. Can't really say that any of their albums has been truly bad and there are 6 of them.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Is This It? is a great record and the Strokes never equaled it, but at least Room on Fire was still very good, if a little bit of a side-step. Weekend in the City was such a disappointing follow-up to Silent Alarm. I don't know how you go from making an album where every single track is gold to one where every track is completely forgettable.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Is This It? is a great record and the Strokes never equaled it, but at least Room on Fire was still very good, if a little bit of a side-step. Weekend in the City was such a disappointing follow-up to Silent Alarm. I don't know how you go from making an album where every single track is gold to one where every track is completely forgettable.

I LOVE that album to death lol, I really do, but I know I am very much in the minority. I couldn't even explain why. I have listened to it over and over and over. In hindsight, when you look at the progression from album one to album two, there are definitely red flags. There's the 6th or 7th song (I'm terrible at remembering names) which is like a dirge or a prayer or a chant, and it is like a stinking precursor to this latest album he barfed out.

I just checked, and it's the 4th song, and it's literally called "The Prayer" haha. There are some unbelievable gems on there - "Sunday" has some of the best drums you will ever hear (from one of the best drummers you will ever hear); "Kreuzberg" is a beauty; "Waiting for the 7:18" and "On" are great. I really do love that album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad