OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I actually liked Weekend in the City and even Intimacy when they came out.
Not all time classics by any means, but still solid albums IMO.
Probably had each album in my personal top 20-30 of 2007 and 2008 respectively.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I actually liked Weekend in the City and even Intimacy when they came out.
Not all time classics by any means, but still solid albums IMO.
Probably had each album in my personal top 20-30 of 2007 and 2008 respectively.

I don't really like "Intimacy" on the whole, but "Signs" and especially "Biko" are very, very beautiful songs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Is This It? didn't grab a hold of me when i listened to it. I've been meaning to give it another shot.

I've noticed a lot of 90s album rankings have a huge amount of love for Achtung Baby and that's another album that just does nothing for me.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Is This It? didn't grab a hold of me when i listened to it. I've been meaning to give it another shot.

I've noticed a lot of 90s album rankings have a huge amount of love for Achtung Baby and that's another album that just does nothing for me.

They made some weird (bad) choices on the songs to release as singles, with the exception of "One" and "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?" The songs from 3 to the end on both sides are great. And yes, I'm old enough to call them "sides" :laugh: That was my favorite band growing up, along with The Police. Their sincerity made a lot more sense in the context of the 1980s.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Use Your Illusion and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness are 2 albums that would have been absolutely incredible had they been trimmed down into a highlight reel of the 2 discs. It's just deeply difficult to sit through 28 songs of Axl or Billy.

This has been a very high contender for "favorite song" for years now. I think it's the only song I've never ever skipped or changed the station on, or didn't feel like listening to.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Use Your Illusion and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness are 2 albums that would have been absolutely incredible had they been trimmed down into a highlight reel of the 2 discs. It's just deeply difficult to sit through 28 songs of Axl or Billy.

Yep lol. When you look at the songs that worked on that Smashing Pumpkins album though, holy **** were they great. That was released the same time Oasis had just put out theirs - then there were these great singles like "Standing in a Telephone Booth" and "Popular" and everything that was being played on 120 Minutes on MTV - it was by far the best period of music I have ever heard. And then Britney Spears opened her legs and swallowed it all into the black hole vacuum of her lady parts. RIP music.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Billy Corgan wanted to create his own version of "The Wall".
Guy was extremely talented, but also a megalomaniac.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep lol. When you look at the songs that worked on that Smashing Pumpkins album though, holy **** were they great. That was released the same time Oasis had just put out theirs - then there were these great singles like "Standing in a Telephone Booth" and "Popular" and everything that was being played on 120 Minutes on MTV - it was by far the best period of music I have ever heard. And then Britney Spears opened her legs and swallowed it all into the black hole vacuum of her lady parts. RIP music.

This telephone booth?

Because come to think of it, that's another song I've never skipped or tuned away from.

I've only ever listened to Oasis while drunk so I don't recall much of it. Love Champagne Supernover though.

This is what I have in the background right now:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If anyone wants to check out a great album from that time, try "Regretfully Yours" by Superdrag. In my top 5 of that decade for sure. I couldn't even complete that list, though, it would be too hard. The only two I know for sure would be on there:

Liz Phair - "Exile in Guyville"
Superdrag - "Regretfully Yours"

I'd probably put "Indoor Living" by Superchunk on there, but you couldn't really ignore "(What's the Story) Morning Glory" - it's impossible.

I'm not going to link it because of the cursing, but listen to "F*** and Run" by Liz Phair. Genius.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This has been a very high contender for "favorite song" for years now. I think it's the only song I've never ever skipped or changed the station on, or didn't feel like listening to.

I am honestly hard-pressed to name a song I enjoy listening to more than 1979. It has this way of transporting me back to being 10 or 11 years old when I first heard it. It actually makes me emotional in a way. Its on my Desert Island playlist for sure.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This telephone booth?

Because come to think of it, that's another song I've never skipped or tuned away from.

I've only ever listened to Oasis while drunk so I don't recall much of it. Love Champagne Supernover though.

This is what I have in the background right now:

Grouplove is AMAZING live. I saw them for free in Camden, NJ back in 2014. They are a blast and make some really solid albums.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I am honestly hard-pressed to name a song I enjoy listening to more than 1979. It has this way of transporting me back to being 10 or 11 years old when I first heard it. It actually makes me emotional in a way. Its on my Desert Island playlist for sure.

That's exactly it. It makes me feel like I'm back in the summer of 1995, laying in bed at night in Malvern with the windows open and a storm in the distance. It's a very specific thing to evoke. They managed to make nostalgia into a song.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's exactly it. It makes me feel like I'm back in the summer of 1995, laying in bed at night in Malvern with the windows open and a storm in the distance. It's a very specific thing to evoke. They managed to make nostalgia into a song.

Im glad im not the only that song has that effect on. They somehow managed to bottle up the essence of a specific time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh man I haven't heard Misery in years. I strongly associate it with a Weird Al medley :laugh:

Popular: good old spoken word 90's rock. A song type made weird by King Missile's "Detachable Penis."

In the last few years I've discovered that I like Beep-Boop rock. Thanks for that, Naked and Famous. That scene has produced some of the more interesting stuff lately, notably CHVRCHES.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like some of that genre too Beef. Dont be ashamed lol.

I tend to bounce around and explore every decade in a non-chronological fashion.

I just recently got into The Jesus and Mary Chain. Theyve got some damn good material.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The funny thing is that they managed to bottle up what it was like as a kid in 1979, too :laugh:
Such an amazeballs masterpiece of a song. Love it.

You said it man. It really is a masterpiece. Im gonna put it on tomorrow night when I have a solid buzz going during the Preds-Ducks game. Ill probably have a tear in my eye that represents both joy and a yearning for the past lol

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Isn't "Just like Honey" the song they used in Lost in Translation? Was the first time I heard of that band.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Isn't "Just like Honey" the song they used in Lost in Translation? Was the first time I heard of that band.

Yes! At the end. I hadnt heard it before that and didnt explore it..then The Shins name-dropped them on their new album so I went down the rabbit hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad